MPG Never ending question

hybridkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG
...if I reread what the OP asked...
Ok, he asked 2 things: 1, are his results normal for 80mph driving - answer= more or less yes
And 2, he asked for "ideas or recommendations"
So, just to be clear, your recommendation to him is to just keep doing what he's doing, because it's what you do.
Do I have that about right?

hybridkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG
I find it somewhat humorous that so many people worry so much about fuel economy with a TDI. To me, that is the best part of owning them: you DON'T have to worry. Because no matter how you drive them, so long as they are in good working order, your fuel economy will always be very good.
I don't worry about it, for me it's sort of a game, a little challenge that I amuse myself with on long trips. But I agree - no one should literally worry about it unless they think their consumption is way above the typical range for their driving style/conditions.

Maybe there should be a "drive less, worry more" sub-forum - where people can have a group panic attack over mediocre mpg, hpfp failures, dpf replacements, IC icing - oh the humanity...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Maybe there should be a "drive less, worry more" sub-forum - where people can have a group panic attack over mediocre mpg, hpfp failures, dpf replacements, IC icing - oh the humanity...
We don't need a sub-forum for that. There are already lots of threads that cover the "drive less-worry more" mode.

OH's comments are what I've been telling people all along. Ok, maybe I don't get the full benefit of a TDI with a less than 10 mile commute, but I still get better mileage out of the TDI than a gasser for that distance.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Agree with the posters here: don't worry about economy until you've put about 20K miles on the clock--worry about getting a good break-in.

Then, buy a Scangauge so you can learn to modify your driving style. That's the single biggest effect on fuel economy. You could pump your tires up to 38-44psi too.

hybridkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG
I should have added ;p
:p

[SARCASM ALERT]

Ok then, how about a sub-forum for this: monetary justifications for owning a TDI - because "I just like the car" apparently isn't a good enough reason. It could be titled something like, "Why didn't you just buy a Corolla" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I find it somewhat humorous that so many people worry so much about fuel economy with a TDI. To me, that is the best part of owning them: you DON'T have to worry. Because no matter how you drive them, so long as they are in good working order, your fuel economy will always be very good.
As a "Certified VW Nut" I thought you would understand :D
It is fun to tweak that already great economy upwards, and does relieve the long boring drives.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
:p

[SARCASM ALERT]

Ok then, how about a sub-forum for this: monetary justifications for owning a TDI - because "I just like the car" apparently isn't a good enough reason. It could be titled something like, "Why didn't you just buy a Corolla" :rolleyes:
Now you're getting on my nerves :)D). There was a time in the not too distant past that I had more Corollas than VWs. Thankfully, I've found my way out of Purgatory.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I wouldn't entirely agree with that. Cruise control works if you haven't gotten down the hypermiling techniques, but once you learn the tricks CC usually gets me 5mpg less then just using my right foot. I like to lock my foot in place when going up a hill and stay at a constant rpm and maintain a constant boost rather than a constant speed. maybe the occasional person has to pass me in the left lane but I'm still getting 50+mpg realtime going up steep hills :cool:

I agree this is the most efficient, but damn can it ever be annoying to have the CC set on one speed and play see-saw with someone on an interstate / 400-series highway who can't keep a set speed. I have the CC set at say 70 MPH, they're doing 65, I change lanes, pass them, and move back right. They then suddenly speed up to 72 and pass me, then slow back down (because of a hill, not looking at speedo, etc) and force me to pass again, and the cycle repeats ad infinitum. Will it get you better MPG to vary the speed to the incline? Yes, but it's also highly irritating to other traffic.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My car is not happy going slow up a incline. It just wants to pull and pull up the hill.:D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I agree this is the most efficient, but damn can it ever be annoying to have the CC set on one speed and play see-saw with someone on an interstate / 400-series highway who can't keep a set speed. I have the CC set at say 70 MPH, they're doing 65, I change lanes, pass them, and move back right. They then suddenly speed up to 72 and pass me, then slow back down (because of a hill, not looking at speedo, etc) and force me to pass again, and the cycle repeats ad infinitum. Will it get you better MPG to vary the speed to the incline? Yes, but it's also highly irritating to other traffic.
When this happens a few times, I use the 90 MPH / 145 km/h solution to the problem.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I just did a looooong trip ranging @1,500 miles doing 75-85 mph with CC and still averaged 27 on my Touareg fully loaded with luggage. I didn't even try to get good mpg. You can spend a lot of time figuring out how to optimize your mileage n get a few more or you can just drive and enjoy the car n company with you. These TDIs get great gas mileage whatever strategy you use. No gaser, hybrid or whatever, can get that mileage without trying.

Serra

TDI
2014 Passat
I have to ask: what other new car could you drive at 80 that could get 35 MPG? I'd bet not many. I'd not slow down, either. I'd keep enjoying my new car! :p

The older ones can get better, but they are not as fast nor as "clean".
My wife car easily gets 45mpg when traveling 75-80mpg with the A/C on. If we can slow down to 55mph, she can get close to 60mpg. Of course, it is a tiny hybrid, so it isn't so fun to drive.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
What I do is pass them WOT at 80-90mph , stay at 80 for a couple of minutes and see them get smaller on my rear view mirror. Then, I go back to my 70mph and everybody is happy.

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
Over the last 8700 miles my overall mileage is a measured 53.25 miles/gallon.
I don't get speeding tickets and I use my brakes minimally. My last fill up was after 845 miles and I still had over a gallon in the tank. The fill up prior was 864 miles! I do like this car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I do is pass them WOT at 80-90mph , stay at 80 for a couple of minutes and see them get smaller on my rear view mirror. Then, I go back to my 70mph and everybody is happy.
I do that from time to time too, and then find that, eventually, they're backkkk! That's when I start looking for a rest stop. Nothing better than getting rid of an annoying driver and an empty bladder.

Serra

TDI
2014 Passat
I do that from time to time too, and then find that, eventually, they're backkkk! That's when I start looking for a rest stop. Nothing better than getting rid of an annoying driver and an empty bladder.
I do find people who can't use a cruise control annoying. It really annoys me when I come up on them and they are doing 5 less than the speed limit in the fast lane. I have to sit behind them until they finally get out of the way, then I speed up to 75 and they ride my bumper for the next 20 miles. I could imagine if I somehow annoyed them, but I don't get right up on them, I just sit back a few car lengths until they get out of the way. Why would they be going under the speed limit, if the felt it was ok to exceed it...

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
On Tuesday and Wednesday (17, 18 June) I drove from Okemah, OK down to Austin. I was tired and not in my usual go slower for fuel economy mood. It was hot with a very strong headwind most of the way. I drove the speed limit (75 mph max) with the A/C on. The tdi sounded great. I hardly heard the engine. This morning I got fuel to check mileage. It was an amazing 48 mpg. I doubled checked all numbers and it is true. An amazing car.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
One thing that hasn't been mentioned...tire pressure. I've got mine at 40PSI. A little firmer ride, but is good for a couple extra MPG's.

There have been a lot of "what's wrong with my MPG" threads (and there will continue to be many, many more of them)...usually, the poster is looking for the magic MPG bullet - but there isn't one. It's more like 100 little things that add up to above average FE. Here's a good thread that discusses them:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=342274

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I tried bumping up the tire pressure and saw no real difference. I just keep an eye on it and make sure that everything is within the specified range. I think that the VW garage and/or Costco always sets the air pressure back when I get the tires rotated anyway.

FistLaw

TDI
2010 Jetta: 6spd manual, APR tune, blk grille
well, for what it's worth. I drive 52 miles round trip on my daily commute in mostly stop and go. I can't get much over 75 for a couple short bursts and i'm able to get 43-48 mpg.
With my tune that = 170hp, 297lb ft and 43-48 mpg in traffic...

Yes, these cars are amazing!!! :D

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
For the first 2 years I owned my car, I got 600 miles per tank consistently. I had a couple 630 mile and a couple 550 mile tanks. I got a new job with a faster, longer route, and now get 650 per tank consistently, with around 55-60 MPH showing as trip average.

I never use A/C and my car is stock.

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
I have just completed a grueling trip from Austin, Texas to St. Louis and then to Kalamazoo and return. I did it in four days. I drove the speed limit. That is pretty fast. Much of it is 70 and 75 mph. I ran the A/C. Overall fuel mileage was 51.7 mpg. I departed Austin and drove to St. Louis without needing fuel. This is an impressive car.