EA288 engine family

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I read about the engine in VW's CrossBlue SUV hybrid concept, and the diesel side is one of the new EA288 mills. The article said it's rated at 190hp and 295lb-ft, which makes me wonder what other VWs this TDI might end up in?
http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1301_volkswagen_crossblue_concept_first_look/
There are a few threads here about the EA288 engine. I believe that it will be standard equipment in 2015+ TDIs. However, it is unknown if they can get those HP and Torque numbers once they meet US emissions standards. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
There are a few threads here about the EA288 engine. I believe that it will be standard equipment in 2015+ TDIs. However, it is unknown if they can get those HP and Torque numbers once they meet US emissions standards. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don
I guess I jumped the gun and didn't search first.. Anyhow, I heard back from my contact in VWoA's communications dept., and she sent me this PR from August. What sucks is the EA288 is only getting a 10hp boost to 150 and torque stays the same. I was hoping the new engine would be much closer to the concept car's 190hp and 295 torque. :(

http://www.media.vw.com/newsrelease...underlines-diesel-strategy-new-engine&mid=118

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
What sucks is the EA288 is only getting a 10hp boost to 150 and torque stays the same. I was hoping the new engine would be much closer to the concept car's 190hp and 295 torque. :(
This is probably because most Americans (over 90%) insist on driving automatic transmissions. With the stock firmware, the DSG can only handle 350Nm of torque (about 258 ft-lbs). They would have to modify the transmission to have it work with a 295 ft-lbs of engine torque. DSGs can be tuned to handle more torque, but the jury is still out on how this might effect transmission life and service requirements.

The only other good reasons for "de-tuning" the EA288 that I can think of would be either emissions or reliability, and we know how much VW concentrates on the latter.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
that will be in the GTD/GTI/RS, fx the skoda octavia RS comes with 184bhp and 380nm.. pretty low, since that kind of power have been made for the last 10years or so with the pd130 with remap.. I would like to see the new engine with more than 200bhp stock.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Higher HP can be had without stressing out the dsg. Just limit the torque peak and extend the torque curve into the higher rpm.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
With the stock firmware, the DSG can only handle 350Nm of torque (about 258 ft-lbs)
I thought I'd read the DSG was torque-limited so this makes sense. But doesn't the Malone tune bump torque, or is it just a HP increase?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I thought I'd read the DSG was torque-limited so this makes sense. But doesn't the Malone tune bump torque, or is it just a HP increase?
HP is a byproduct of torque and RPM,

The torque limit and clutch clamping load are bumped up.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
we know how much VW concentrates on the latter.
Just curious, Is there a way to quantify reliability.

IE: IS it simply the number of times a car needs additional maintenance beyond what the factory recomends, or is something on the nebulous "Well, I drive 30,000 km/year and after 5 years it needed $10K or $15K of rebuild parts and labour to keep running" type calculation.

The reason I ask, is that in Ontario, Canada, we still have the Bi-annual emissions registration process, that (IMHO) was only useful for the first few years of transition to computerized fuel injection and Emissions system(s), and IF VW can improve their overall impression in the marketplace (Remember in the advertising world, appearances are 90% of the task at hand), then they *might* be worth going for newer models including the EA288 engine.?

[And yes , I am aware of the stricter Tier 4 EPA requirements, but outside of the Urban areas, Southern Ontario, and the rest of Canada, is not as densely populated as say a Southern CA, or NJ-NYCity area.]

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Generally speaking, reliability and complexity do not go hand in hand.
Which is why I forsee alot of issues with the new EA288. I saw one of the motors first hand last week and for some odd reason Volkswagen has decided to use the T5 Eurovan Oil pump system on the new motors coupled with balance shafts. Only time will tell though...

Also in your presentation , you are missing the R4 TDI with an Aluminum block.