CR140 Big Turbo Build

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Are we gonna see this thing on the dyno at TDIFest or what? :D
i have an welder.. i just need the correct vband peace.. Kyle told me its a unique shaped vband section and if i try to use a universal vband section it will leak like sin...

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Why not do a dual clamp setup.

Have a machine shop copy the turbo outlet vband on the stock turbo. Then have another very short section made to clamp the new turbo vband. Essentially it would be the stock turbo vband to mate to the downpipe and the other end would be the vband to the new turbo.

It's way more elaborate than it needs to be. Just cut the pde downpipe and weld on the new vband.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Why not just make a new downpipe? I highly doubt the pde downpipe would remotely line up anywhere close. Unless you made a jig to get the exhaust outlet in the exact same spot as stock, don't even bother to try use the dp you already have if you refuse to cut it up.

cmrn

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Kyel at Dpe designed his manifold so you can use his downpipe when upgrading. He might be able to make you an adapter, should be pretty simple, get a gtb flange and weld a v-band mount to it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
So I picked up some new wheels from local car meet, guy was college kid and said he was going sell them cause he couldn't afford new tires for them so I made him an offer...super offer and got them. I am gonna have the lips powder coated candy white. Friend photos hopped pic of the last owners car with them on to white lip to see if I like them that way...
They are 19x8.5 and back of wheel is stamped forged 23.6 so whatever that means. They are physically lighter then my current 16 wheels.

Last edited:

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Those look to be ASA AR1's. I can assure you that they are not forged. Every AR1 is cast. If my data sheet is correct those weigh 27.6 lbs each. I would be surprised if the stock 16's on a tdi weigh over 22lbs. If you have the 17's they may be close in weight.

Either way I'm sure they will look good as long as your lowered.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Those look to be ASA AR1's. I can assure you that they are not forged. Every AR1 is cast. If my data sheet is correct those weigh 27.6 lbs each. I would be surprised if the stock 16's on a tdi weigh over 22lbs. If you have the 17's they may be close in weight.

Either way I'm sure they will look good as long as your lowered.

Not even close to what an asa ar1 looks like...also I contacted tire rack to buy new center caps cause ones I have are really loose fitting and they said they don't have wheels in there catalog matching my wheels exactly and told me the caps may not be originals... the whole is 58mm

Is there any drawback unbolting center section from the wheel. Trying to figure out easiest way to powdercoat lips.

Last edited:

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
If they are true 2 piece wheel ( I can't tell from your pics). As long as you have the correct tool it's not a problem unbolting. When you put them back together bolt them up in a star pattern one by one.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
If they are true 2 piece wheel ( I can't tell from your pics). As long as you have the correct tool it's not a problem unbolting. When you put them back together bolt them up in a star pattern one by one.
found out they are just fake bolts screwed into it.. real holes just the sections dont come apart. I am thinking it may be easier to just spray the lip with white gloss and then tape the lip off and spray the rest of the wheel with fresh coat so the lip isnt looking new and rest of wheel looking old...

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
by the looks of all the parts in your house, I'd say your single :) or one awesome wife or GF! I'd never be able to decorate my living room with turbo's, exhaust systems and wheels :)

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
by the looks of all the parts in your house, I'd say your single :) or one awesome wife or GF! I'd never be able to decorate my living room with turbo's, exhaust systems and wheels :)
im happily divorced from my cheating wife of 8 years April 2012!!!!

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Dude, that's terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you.
no biggie.. im over it already.. its just that womaen these days cant keep there damn leggs closed when a service member is overseas deployed...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
:(

no biggie.. im over it already.. its just that womaen these days cant keep there damn leggs closed when a service member is overseas deployed...
It's been happening for as long as men have gone to war. It's nothing new. However, please remember that only "some women" are this way; and men, too. :( Back to the cool car stuff... :cool:

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
yea wheels would look a lot better cleaned up or different color. like some one else
mentioned, i hope your lowered too or lower the car when you put them on.
wheels are not my cup of tea but whatever makes you happy is the end result.
but the rest of this thread is awesome!!

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
yea wheels would look a lot better cleaned up or different color. like some one else
mentioned, i hope your lowered too or lower the car when you put them on.
wheels are not my cup of tea but whatever makes you happy is the end result.
but the rest of this thread is awesome!!

I traded an Disco Potato for them that has been sitting on my shelf for over 2 years from a long time ago project. I had been looking for wheels because the stockers 16's will not work with the Cheyanne calipers i bought to put on the car.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya I keep getting all these parts in I wish I could install them... But like a puzzle I need them all for it to work

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
So round 2... Hope the turbo arrives this time and not get lost in shipment

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
A divorce in most cases is much more expensive than a marriage.

But that does not matter, you benefit much longer from divorce *g*
I gave the judge 241 pages of emails talking about cheating on me and 73 pictures of the others guys with there names and address and contact numbers. So my judge(female) summoned them and all 9 out 17 showed up to court claiming they never knew I was married to her... Judge tilled me 100% of everything I even got her suba-poop sti but I gave it back to her to make sure our daughters(non biological) would be ok

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sell those wheels and get something else... You are spending a lot of $$$ on this project, don't cheap out on the wheels.