"Gas Pods"

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Susanne, I have never tested them nor have I claimed to. Maybe there is a misunderstanding in something I have said. If so, please point it out so that I can clarify.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Suzanne, I have one better. Please cite a credible sour email other than your promotions, where they are proven to work.

It is not up to whitedog to prove that they don't work, it is up to you to demonstrate that they do.

Cite a source please.

AeroHance

(Susanne) Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Currently drive 2004 Volvo 760XC - Test Driving Golf TDI
You had me scared. I thought I had you mixed up with someone else........ But, here is your quote to which I was responding:

Yeah, we already established these things don't work as advertised ....
There is no where that this has been established..... Quite the contrary. And criticism is only coming in from those who have not tried, or read our website.

I am very careful, and very good, at making sure that any claim made has basis.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Any car manufacturer that is subject to CAFE requirements would pay a healthy fee for even a 1% fuel economy increase.

Suzanne, if your claims were real, you would be the toast of Detroit and quite wealthy by now. Perhaps it just hasn't occurred to you where the real money can be made?

Bill

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
You had me scared. I thought I had you mixed up with someone else........ But, here is your quote to which I was responding:

There is no where that this has been established..... Quite the contrary. And criticism is only coming in from those who have not tried, or read our website.

I am very careful, and very good, at making sure that any claim made has basis.
I didnt say I tested them. I was going with the results that others had reported. So no, I did not say I tested them. You have put words in my mouth. It kinda sounds like you were taking something out of context.

Last edited by a moderator:

AeroHance

TDI
Any car manufacturer that is subject to CAFE requirements would pay a healthy fee for even a 1% fuel economy increase.

Suzanne, if your claims were real, you would be the toast of Detroit and quite wealthy by now. Perhaps it just hasn't occurred to you where the real money can be made?

Bill
As we are on a VW forum, I wouldn't limit myself to Detroit, even though I was born there. That being said, where did you get the idea that we are not working with auto manufacturers. Another assumption?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
As we are on a VW forum, I wouldn't limit myself to Detroit, even though I was born there. That being said, where did you get the idea that we are not working with auto manufacturers. Another assumption?
Yes, I assumed that you would be shouting from the rooftops anything at all that would add (sorely needed, IMO) credibility to your company.

What happened to AeroHance ('makers of Gaspods')? Are you and they the same entity? Are you the marketing arm of AeroHance? Are they the manufacturer and you the distributor? Do you have 'Patents' or even 'Patents Pending'?

What other products have you brought to market? Which were the biggest winners and which were the biggest busts? (People WILL find this interesting and will start to identify with you.)

You have answered some of these questions elsewhere, but you haven't bothered to adequately (IMO) introduce yourself here. If you can just get public opinion on your side...

:)

And, Yes. I still think Gaspods are snake oil.

Bill

Last edited:

AeroHance

TDI
I didnt say I tested them. I was going with the results that others had reported. So no, I did not say I tested them. You have put words in my mouth. It kinda sounds like you were taking something out of context.
Yeah, we already established these things don't work as advertised....
Now that we’ve established none of the criticism here is based on testing, but rather, it looks to me like you are just joining in on some fun….. Let’s get serious. This is one of the most viewed threads on this forum. I don’t think the viewers are all looking for fun and games. I think there is sincere interest by forum members in what GasPods are and how they work on VW TDI vehicles.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, lets get serious. Do you think that these would these work on a class B bus? We have a fixed highway bus route travelling 526 miles every day and even a little 1% increase would save $7,000-$8,000 per year. I would not pay for them, but I would collect data for you.

AeroHance

TDI
Bill - 40X40 - oldhifi, hutchmanhd, MikeMars, my Ophidiophobia friends (that means fear of snakes)…. The best way to overcome fear is to take the GasPods in your hands, install it on your car, and prove it to yourself….. You might find you are so excited by the results that you’ll have a new line…. Hey baby, can I pod your car?

Now, I'm starting to have too much fun....

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Bill - 40X40 - oldhifi, hutchmanhd, MikeMars, my Ophidiophobia friends (that means fear of snakes)…. The best way to overcome fear is to take the GasPods in your hands, install it on your car, and prove it to yourself….. You might find you are so excited by the results that you’ll have a new line…. Hey baby, can I pod your car?

Now, I'm starting to have too much fun....
Underline mine.

http://www.gaspods.com/test-team/

You have an 'offer' on your website to join your 'test team' and receive a whopping 10% discount to 'test' your product. In return for that generous discount we are to agree to track our mileage for 2,000 miles without your product and then 2,000 miles with your product. (Do I have that correct?)

Sorry, I have to decline parting with a single penny of my money towards your product, nor can you have my address or phone number. :eek:

Would you be amenable to donating (yes, free) enough of your product to equip say 20 TDIs +/-, not to any member, but to the TDIclub Forum itself who would then distribute them to members willing to test them?

I am sure there are several members who would like to try your product FOR FREE, providing they can remain anonymous to you and the general public.

They could even be given away as prizes at the next TDIfest... if they have not already been requested by interested members.

If you would like to do so, contact any moderator.. VeeDubTDI would be a good and impartial person to deal with.

Thanks,

Bill

AeroHance

TDI
Bill - 40x40 - Responding to previous post, not most recent:

My role here is responsive, and I was relying on VeeDubTDI's introduction. I am President and Co-Founder of AeroHance, Inc, which is licensed to GasPods' IP. The USPTO has recently sent notice that patents will issue next month. International patents are pending.

My other company is Bob Evans Designs, Inc., which develops products mostly for underwater applications. I've brought over 30 products to market, the most recognized of which is Force Fin, a line of fins sold to swimmers, scuba divers, including most special forces around the world, fly fisherman for use in their float tubes, and body surfers.

My proudest moments in business are not related to the money we've made, rather to when we were invited to the opening of an exhibit at the New York Museum of Modern Art, to celebrate many products, including one of ours being inducted into their permanent collections. And, when 22 of our products were displayed at the County of Los Angeles Museum of Architecture and Design, and our own, Bob Evans was the only designer named in the exhibit, other than Charles and Ray Eames. Or, when another of our products was featured as a Time Magazine Innovation of the Year...... And not to mention, when my son received his PhD in Geo-Chemistry from Cal Tech. He is now Professor at the Oceanographic Institute of the University of Washington, and has a new baby girl.

Last edited:

hutchmanhd

TDI
03 tdi
I wonder where the verifiable test results from an independent lab are? Surely you've had these tested by an independent source haven't you?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Susanne,

Would you be interested in becoming a registered vendor on TDIClub? Given how much people here are driven towards fuel economy, if the gains you are claiming are true, this could be a very lucrative venue for you to participate in.

Bill's suggestion of donating some products to the club is a good one. They could be sent to members who are interested in doing real world testing and either confirm or bust the claims that have been the topic of discussion for quite some time. Once we get past that little hurdle, I think we'll be moving forward.

AeroHance

TDI
Susanne,

Would you be interested in becoming a registered vendor on TDIClub? Given how much people here are driven towards fuel economy, if the gains you are claiming are true, this could be a very lucrative venue for you to participate in.

Bill's suggestion of donating some products to the club is a good one. They could be sent to members who are interested in doing real world testing and either confirm or bust the claims that have been the topic of discussion for quite some time. Once we get past that little hurdle, I think we'll be moving forward.
AeroHance is registered as a vendor. I think it was a requirement of our participation.

The problem I have with the promo is (1) I've learned over years of product development experience that many do not appreciate, and therefore do not follow through with participation when they are given something without contributing. That doesn't mean promotion doesn't have its place, and I am thinking about it..... sleeping on Bill's suggestion....

My specific reservation, there are quite a few, probably more than 20, forum members who are already test team members. With over 14,000 views on the subject, don't you at least some are intelligent enough to look beyond the chatter fun?

Yet, after seeing the way in which sharkbait, twoid and GaryTDi were treated here, don't share their participation or results. I don't have time to search it out right now, but I think somewhere GaryTDI flat out says that he is reluctant to bring up GasPods because of the beating he took.

So let me sleep on it, and maybe we can discuss more privately.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I think the suggestion would be for "known" members to do the testing, someone who is new and has only posted in this thread and no others will not be trusted. Whatever ends up happening here, I for one have at least been entertained. I know some of the guys over at ecomodder asked for the same thing and as far as I can tell this never happened.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
These have been on the market for over two years. If they were as good as they are claimed then why are they not more common. Word of mouth (from real people) would spread.

Plus, if this type of product worked then we would see the same type design on new cars.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
These have been on the market for over two years. If they were as good as they are claimed then why are they not more common. Word of mouth (from real people) would spread.

Plus, if this type of product worked then we would see the same type design on new cars.
That has been said several times already.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Yes, the idea was for trusted and knowledgeable members to do the testing. The Mods could choose the testers and only the mods would need to know who they are. The testers should not be new members, nor anyone thought to be either 'gullible' OR 'biased'.

The Mods would collect and tabulate the data, then publish the results, scrubbed of identifying information.

After testing the devices could be required to be passed on the next set of testers if you desire.

All this is just a suggestion, I am recusing myself of any direct involvement.
:D(Other than to comment loudly and often.):D

You guys can work out the actual details at your leisure. :D

Bill

AeroHance

TDI
show me a 50 tank average.
Until legitimate testing is done this product is about as useful as a whistle tip
You are welcome to pursue 50 tanks of tracking with, as I'm sure you've already tracked without.... And the sites you are quoting include only posts by individuals who discounted the product out of attitude, and have not tried the product.

Last edited:

AeroHance

TDI
Yes, the idea was for trusted and knowledgeable members to do the testing. The Mods could choose the testers and only the mods would need to know who they are. The testers should not be new members, nor anyone thought to be either 'gullible' OR 'biased'.
The Mods would collect and tabulate the data, then publish the results, scrubbed of identifying information.
After testing the devices could be required to be passed on the next set of testers if you desire.
All this is just a suggestion, I am recusing myself of any direct involvement.
:D(Other than to comment loudly and often.):D
You guys can work out the actual details at your leisure. :D
Bill
Bill - I think I have worked out something, not quite what you propose, but something transparent, reliable and fun. Obviously, everything is up to the moderators, so, let me get someone into the loop, or if one or more of the moderators wants to contact me directly, by pm or publicly, I'll go over with them before posting.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
Joining this conversation late - but here goes...

I had contacted Aeropod a while back and offered to be one of their "testers." I had at that point 250K miles of tracked (mpg, other) miles. Same as others have reported - 10% discount for being a tester, yada, yada, yada.

Since that time, I did some more research and the original paper published by the Mitsubishi team who placed the vortex on the Lancer is located here: http://geetaebook.com/pdf/aeronauti...namic.Drag.Reduction.by.Vortex.Generators.pdf

From a fluid dynamics standpoint, the vortex generators add more energy to the air/flow. That allows the flow the "hold on" to the profile of the car longer, creating a smaller negative air pressure pocket behind the car. The Mitsubishi vortex generators were both rounded and pointy. Neither "smooth" the air...

Just adding some light technical reading on the topic.

AeroHance

TDI
Joining this conversation late - but here goes...
I had contacted Aeropod a while back and offered to be one of their "testers." I had at that point 250K miles of tracked (mpg, other) miles. Same as others have reported - 10% discount for being a tester, yada, yada, yada.
Since that time, I did some more research and the original paper published by the Mitsubishi team who placed the vortex on the Lancer is located here: http://geetaebook.com/pdf/aeronauti...namic.Drag.Reduction.by.Vortex.Generators.pdf
From a fluid dynamics standpoint, the vortex generators add more energy to the air/flow. That allows the flow the "hold on" to the profile of the car longer, creating a smaller negative air pressure pocket behind the car. The Mitsubishi vortex generators were both rounded and pointy. Neither "smooth" the air...
Just adding some light technical reading on the topic.
Its a good paper. Its been a few years since I read it, but GasPods are not vortex generators. They are patently distinct. This was addressed in an earlier post that I'm quoting below:
....What you describe, creating micro vortices - just enough disruption - to do good describes vortex generators. GasPods are patently distinct from vortex generators.
GasPods function as you quoted and I explained in simple terms:
The surface area of GasPods is about twice their footprint. And, their shape is such that they bring more air into the streamline flow, air that would otherwise break away into turbulence and create drag, then accelerate it with the streamline direction, to drop a little more air into the low pressure behind. That reduces the drag by well, on the VW Golf, by 5.2-6.7%.
I think equivocating GasPods with vortex generators is the root of some of the confusion and criticism......
The problem with these studies, and our CFD is the same, they are specific to the questions asked, and the size, shape and configuration of the vortex generator or GasPod tested.

Last edited:

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
I would be interested in testing these. I don't think I'm $60.00 interested but I would pay some to contribute to the club in this manner. I have a fuelly and while I'm not a senior member here I feel my online presence demonstrates my integrity.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Thanks for posting the link! I think it had been posted before somewhere, but it's good to remind people.

Thank goodness, at least one other person who gets it! I was already starting to lose faith in mankind here; especially after Susanne's 'explanations' (again, I don't mean to be condescending, but some of those posts must have been put together a bit too fast).

Regarding the testing: I find you have to really try to control everything else, like driving pattern, air temperature and tire pressure, to see a few percent effect.
I realized after the fact that putting my 'energizer bar' on for five consecutive tanks was not optimal, since it coincided with the spring-to-summer rise in MPGs. I am already ignoring tanks with a significantly different driving pattern. I think I also need to correct for slow drifts in tire pressure.
[PS: I'm perfectly willing to believe that the gaspods would work better than that simple bar - but, believing means not knowing.]

In general, alternating on and off tanks would be a better method.

Status
Not open for further replies.