Extended/3rd Party Warranty

MBellantone

TDI
2014 Jetta Sport Wagen 6sp Man
Hi Folks.
Not sure if this is the place to post this but I have a 2013 SportWagen TDI, manual with 24,500 miles to date.

My question relates to extended warranty, purchased THROUGH my VW dealer. This is not a VW warranty product. The company behind it is "Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc." The reason that I think i should purchase through the dealer is that I figure it would minimize any chance of the dreaded "we don't honor that contract here" should I not be at the dealer where I purchased the contract.

From the slipperiness of the guy I inquired from, it was like trying to buy a new car where he's very reluctant to give me anything in writing and keeps saying "it's like the original warranty" when i ask what's covered and what's not. After pushing harder I got him to give me the pamphlet for Fidelity and the prices he gave me were for the "Platinum" coverage, which looks pretty comprehensive.

The pricing that i got is as follows:

Current = 3 YEARS 36000 (SEPT 2013 – SEPT 2016)
4 YEARS 48000 MILES $1495 = (AUG 2019 OR 72000)
5 YEARS 60000 MILES $1695 = (AUG 2020 OR 84000)
6 YEARS 72000 MILES $1795 = (AUG 2021 OR 96000)
6 YEARS 100000 MILES $2395 = (AUG 2021 OR 124000)
7 YEARS 100000 MILES $2695 = (AUG 2020 OR 124000)

Obviously I'd be opting for the 7 year 100K mile gig.

I'm mostly concerned about my HPFP and electrical items which i know are costly and common problems.

What say you all? Any previous takers with an opinion?

Thanks in advance,

MB

MBellantone

TDI
2014 Jetta Sport Wagen 6sp Man
folks, after reading my post, it sounds like a rehash of beaten posts about EW. My real to the point question, after doing more research is if anyone has any experience with "Fidelity Warranty Services".

Also, if they know of anyone who offers the warranties for better pricing.

The prices they're giving me seem really high, even with it not being a new car.

M

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
There is a program on many computers called a search engine. Open one (google is popular) and type in "fidelity warranty services complaints" and read the results.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No, EW's are a scam. Best bet, save the money that you might have spent for an EW for future repairs. What any of the EW bandits do is play the odds hoping you will never have a claim, but if you do, they will find a way to deny your claim based on the fine print in the contract.

Once your warranty is up, STOP GOING TO THE DEALERS!! Usually, they are the most expensive mediocre maintenance in town. Find an independent that is actually competent on working on TDI's.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
There is a program on many computers called a search engine. Open one (google is popular) and type in "fidelity warranty services complaints" and read the results.
Great plan, but he would just be comparing one scumbag EW provider against another. Any of the EW providers mission statement is to EF their customers when ever possible. Fewer payouts=more profit............

The ignition interlock linkage on my kids F-250 fell apart and you think it would be covered. WRONG. CLAIM DENIED!!

Per the fine print, the EW only covered the ignition switch which almost never fails. Basically, we were told we have to go EFF ourselves over the linkage issue.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you have GEICO insurance they offer MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) for about $7 a month and covers everything except regular maintenance items. $250 ded IIRC. This is the only thing I would recommend.

https://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

There was a guy here who has since passed away that sold cars and the warranties from a dealership and was very good. Don't know if he passed his knowledge/wisdom/honesty on to the next person but you could try. Last worked at:

Burlington VW
4500 Rt130 South
Burlington, NJ 08016
http://www.burlingtonvw.com