Blown Speakers due to "Help" button on steering wheel

EnigmaMan

TDI
2011 Jetta
So, when I call people on my bluetooth sometimes I have to turn the volume up to max in order to carry on a conversation and hear the other person on the other end because its so low.

Well For some reason it saves its last known volume state so a few times when I go to backup into parking spots I hit the stupid voice activated button on the steering wheel.

Now, when i go to listen to music i hear the classic flub / rattle of the speakers like they are blown.

Would this be covered under warranty? I have about 1600 miles to go before my 13 month / 36k warranty runs out!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Would this be covered under warranty? I have about 1600 miles to go before my 13 month / 36k warranty runs out!
I'm pretty sure that doors (speakers) are somewhere in the "bumper to bumper" region. I would take it to the dealer. The worst they can do is to say no, then you can call VW's help line and complain and see what happens. It can't hurt (much) to try.

Have Fun!

Don

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I currently have at least one blown speaker, after having one replaced already.

Yes, it does fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and they will replace whatever speaker is blown, but if there's more than one and they don't "detect" the other blown speaker(s) will have to be scheduled again.

That was my situation anyway, now I'm just gonna replace them with some Alpine components.

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
I have the same issue. Blew both front door speakers. I bought a vcds to reprogram the system and it won't take the code. Anyone know if the fender speakers are any better?

joeelmex

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium
I have Fender Speakers and no issues to report as of now. I have put the volume pretty high too.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
For the cost of the Fender replacements, you could probably go aftermarket with stock HU and get the best of both worlds...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Lucky to not have blown mine yet, somehow! Sometimes I enjoy the stereo a little too much! :D

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
While you are at the dealer ask them to change the button from voice activation to mute button. That will save you the headace in the future.

If you have vcds you can do it youself as well.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
While you are at the dealer ask them to change the button from voice activation to mute button. That will save you the headace in the future.

If you have vcds you can do it youself as well.

Sweet, I gotta do that! Whenever I accidentally hit the button I have to wait and wait for the stupid thing to be ready for me to yell "cancel" at it and hope it interprets it.

Bluetooth annoys me so I don't use it, but I barely use my phone for talking. If I stream audio from it, it's delayed and out of sync, so I use a good old fashioned wire into the aux port. Plus, it doesn't always sync with turning the car on and off, it has to be done in the correct order or it doesn't work. Basically worthless to me. If I were a networking sales rep on the interstate all the time, yeah I guess it would be cool...:rolleyes:

markanthony

TDI
2013 Jetta w/Nav and Premium Sound
Sweet, I gotta do that! Whenever I accidentally hit the button I have to wait and wait for the stupid thing to be ready for me to yell "cancel" at it and hope it interprets it.
Push the button two more times. Second push stops the prompt voice, third cancels the whole thing and resumes what you were listening to. I always seem to hit that button when turning the steering wheel.

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
Push the button two more times. Second push stops the prompt voice, third cancels the whole thing and resumes what you were listening to. I always seem to hit that button when turning the steering wheel.

^^^ this... I really dislike that button...:mad:

einsteinjs

TDI
2011 Jetta S 2.0
I have had 3 of my speakers replaced while under warranty... Now Im not under warranty anymore and the last speaker needs to be replaced. :mad:

MKVI speakers SUCK :mad:

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
The mute buton? It's in the CECM, long coding, helper, the it's one of the bytes that says something along the lines of Voice Activation something. Give me an hour or two and I'll see if I can get a screen shot of the location.

That was one of the things I changed over the weekend.

One other thing to note with the (newly working) mute button, is that when you hit it again to unmute the system, the volume will only go as high as your startup volume is set.

BTW, if you have a 2011 MY, there is a voice activation button in the overhead whatchamacallit.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
The mute buton? It's in the CECM, long coding, helper, the it's one of the bytes that says something along the lines of Voice Activation something. Give me an hour or two and I'll see if I can get a screen shot of the location.

That was one of the things I changed over the weekend.

One other thing to note with the (newly working) mute button, is that when you hit it again to unmute the system, the volume will only go as high as your startup volume is set.

BTW, if you have a 2011 MY, there is a voice activation button in the overhead whatchamacallit.
Thanks, if im reading this correctly are you saying that if i program teh wheel control to be mute that the phone button on the whatchamacallit will still be a phone button?

Also do you know if there was anyother options other than mute?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Thanks, if im reading this correctly are you saying that if i program teh wheel control to be mute that the phone button on the whatchamacallit will still be a phone button?

Also do you know if there was anyother options other than mute?
I am indeed saying that switching the steering wheel voice control button does not change the headliner voice control button, so you have the best of both worlds (and a voice command button that's not easy as hell to hit accidentally).

As for options other than mute, don't think so. The option is just a check box (or uncheck box in this case) in VCDS.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I am indeed saying that switching the steering wheel voice control button does not change the headliner voice control button, so you have the best of both worlds (and a voice command button that's not easy as hell to hit accidentally).

As for options other than mute, don't think so. The option is just a check box (or uncheck box in this case) in VCDS.
Thanks buddy. :D