Is there any local meets for TDI members here in the N.VA area?

How many TDI members meet on a regular basis?

• Once a week

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Once a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just on occation

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Only at the TDIfest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Just want to see what others have done and see if there is a group of crazy TDI folks that what to share the craze... Is there any groups out there like that?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Several years ago there were 3-4 GTG's a year! now Impexfest is basically the only one held in this area and it is a ? mark at best this year.........Interest has waned among local TDIers over the years.......:(

Last edited:

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
What is GTGs?

Lets get a group started, I am sure there interest just need to find the right folks, I must say that I never seen more Jettas then I do today. Good things for the mk5 with some bad but overall its all good.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I no longer have an interest........and I may even sell my Jetta soon and return to the dark side..............
GTG= GTG's
In the good old day's 4-5 years ago I would attend 15-20 GTG's a year all over the East coast and Mid-West........I am old and tired now and don't like to drive alone

Last edited:

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Hey once I am off workers comp I would be more then happy to join up and perhaps do a bit of work on the cars that need it durring the GTG.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
why sell then, I must admit I have had problems with mine. The trans has been replaced due to some jerking in nuetral at lights, It has started again and I plan on taking it back in for the same problem. I have had the radio short out and they replaced that also. Then the rear brakes need replaced (rotors included) which was very disappointing. I have near 50,000 mile on my 06 jetta tdi nd it is fun but not as fun as my 65 mustang, but more practical.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I haven't been to a GTG since I've moved from Texas a year and a half ago. I would love to take part of a working GTG, as I need to get a few things done. A few times a year would be great, in case I can't make one due to family/work commitments.

nickhallnavy

Veteran Member
TDI
01 jetta
i'm game for a GTG. i just reported to the norfolk area. when i get my tax return, im planning on getting a chip and exhaust done to mine, i'd love to meet some local TDI'ers

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
I really want more power out of my tdi just want to find where the best dollar will be spent and the most power gained. I think that meet others would only be helpful to everyone.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
tomo366 said:
I no longer have an interest........and I may even sell mt Jetta soon and return to the dark side..............
That's almost impossible to imagine Tom...not that I should talk...

I was wondering about Impexfest this year. Is it unlikely to happen?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Lito has basically gone away.........I don't know the story......I have heard he has appeared at Impex a couple of times.......He doesn't answer my calls at his work or home, He doesn't answer my Emails or IM's. I ask John about it he just nodded I don't know what that means............He has been talking about selling Impex and doing something else.....
I am bored with the TDI's.....My 06 has a big car payment and I can't really afford it anymore with my annuity so I may just sell it and move on. Since Pete married off I don't get to see him much..........

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Well today I emailed John at Impex and asked what the story was and he stated he has talked to Lito and that it was too early to post yet but IMpexfest is definately on for May 3 2008!!

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
va_reman said:
Just want to see what others have done and see if there is a group of crazy TDI folks that what to share the craze... Is there any groups out there like that?
I commute from the tysons corner/mclean area to the ashburn area...i don't really recall there being any big gtg's but usually i go to the local vw meets held during the spring/summer time.

:D

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Where do you think Impexfest will be....? I really felt that I had a great car almost show quality for a daily driver, until yesterday when my front end eat a truck tire on the interstate, now its to revamp the front end, well when alittle more money rolls in...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
va_reman said:
Where do you think Impexfest will be....? I really felt that I had a great car almost show quality for a daily driver, until yesterday when my front end eat a truck tire on the interstate, now its to revamp the front end, well when alittle more money rolls in...
Impestfest will be at the same place it has been for the last 6 years.......
World Impex Foreign Auto Parts in Cockeysville Md

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Where Lito been lately? I haven't seen him post in a while.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
MIA.......I was told by John at Impex that he is not really doing anything with the TDI's lately.....I haven't seen him or talked to since last years Impex and I have all his phone #'s

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
It takes all types to make a village. You just have to know who to hang around. Even in the land of TDIClub, cliques or circles exist. fact of life, like it or not. we have a good group here in nc, at least in the capital county.

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
tomo366 said:
Well today I emailed John at Impex and asked what the story was and he stated he has talked to Lito and that it was too early to post yet but IMpexfest is definately on for May 3 2008!!
That's great to hear Tom! I got an invitation to a wedding that weekend and was hoping to find a way to get out of it! LOL! I will be there for sure, if it happens. I am glad Lito hasn't truly left the "fold". (and come on, you know you are only selling that car to get a new one, you know it! ) :D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Couple of points here:

1. The lack of new TDIs has hurt the TDI community as a whole. The last "mainstream" group of TDI buyers were the A4 ALH folks. One of the major reasons for people to have GTGs is to get chipped and do other cool mods to your car under the watchful eye of gurus and amateurs that have already done it. The ALH folks were at their modding/GTG peak probably from 2001-2004. After that, the PDs came along and people weren't too sure what all could be done and such and PD parts are still scarce and terribly expensive (ever price out a PD cam? - think $600+). Then VW just took a couple years off from making TDIs altogether. This must really be hurting the vendors because the mainstream folks buying frenzy for mod parts has passed its peak. Add in the fact that the price of diesel the past couple years has made our cars go from unfrigginbelievably economical to simply just pretty economical and the enthusiasm starts to fade. I think that is what is going on in the TDI community right now. Hopefully the introduction of the CR TDIs and other conditions align to make us uber-sexy again.

2. Regarding generic VW GTGs vs TDI-specific GTGs, I'm going to generalize. Sure there are exceptions, but generally, the TDI is an afterthought at a generic VW GTG. You'll be put in a corner, people will snicker at your "weird" diesel under their breath, and they will assume that your car has no power and gets only a couple of more miles per gallon than their 1.8T. You'll say you get 50 mpg and they'll say wow and then you'll see them walking away telling each other "yeah right" and "bullsh!t". The gasser VW enthusiast is only about 2 IQ points above the average ricer boy with the neon-green '96 Acura Integra with aftermarket ground effects package that flaps in the wind around his fartpipe exhaust.

Last edited:

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Let me know if you know of anything in the area as I seem to miss the bulk of it all. I would appreciate it.

jpltdi

Veteran Member
Wanted to add my 2 cents... Yes it is a shame that the enthusiasm isn't there any more. To me personally (and I think the majority of others), it's a combination of the lack of new diesels and personal circumstances. My '97 Passat is getting tired, doesn't have the "grin factor" power that it used to, and the doors don't open anymore. And personally now that I split my time between the right and left coasts, I often cannot get to GTGs even if they are planned. I am looking forward to a new crop of cars that will add some excitement again, but somehow it still doesn't seem the same since the new ones are not as frugal and not as easy to work on.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
jpltdi, I think you missed one other very valid point and that is that everything today is so much more expensive. With that said I still think that we all should rally together and see what the latest trends / upgrades are for our cars and talk about what we like and don't like. Why don't your doors open?