Do TDI have potential for runaway more than other diesels?

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
So, I am thinking about deleting my EGR and ASV from my 2006 Jetta BRM TDI. The ASV is a pain in my butt and keeps getting a cel because of it. Every thread I read people are always warning about runaway on them if you delete it, but how often does it really happen? I have owned 9 diesel trucks, and have put on over a million miles combined and never had a runaway situation. Never even considered installing slide gates to stop runaway on my cummins, duramax, or powerstroke diesels.

So why is it such a concern with the TDI groups about runaway. are the turbo seals that weak? What am I missing? I am trying to make this car reliable.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Chris

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Well, cant contribute to the statistics information you are requesting.

But if your tdi is a stick you can quickly try to stall it in 5th when turbo seals give away to runaway dooms day.

Gotta be quick and maybe rehearsh this maneuver.
On a runaway it would be better to burn the clutch than lose the engine.

This is kinda controversial and would not be surpriaed if folks in this site just recommend you to fix/replace the ASV.
And by the way, the ASV is also used in North American PD TDIs to reach target EGR numbers while engine is in operation. Perhaps thats your CEL...

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thank you for your response. I'm kinda curious now how many runaway situations with TDI have occurred to make this a standard way of thinking. I might have to call garret turbos to discuss how fragile their small turbos are. I know it's a possibility but the likelihood seems not so great. Especially with all my other personal trucks that I abused for 300k miles and replaced with another new truck. My current dodge is all mechanical compound turbo, heavy injection 700hp tow pig and I never think about runaway.

I'm still going to delete it and get a bigger turbo, but I wonder why people are scared of it , like it is inevitable if you delete, you will have runaway.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not very common. Garrett won't care (they did not supply the turbo for your BRM anyway).

The throttle flap problem is easily replaced. There is also a good chance that if it is NOT the throttle valve itself, it is the engine harness. It could also be an EGR problem.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I see that you have a 5 sp manual but...
Some tuners tend to shy away from pushing the boost up on automatic trans cars with ASV deletes. It is hard to save the day if the turbo blows, flooding the intake with oil and you cant stall it out with the clutch. They don't want to be responsible for that happening so it must happen often enough.

Last edited:

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
I was under the impression that it was a Garrett. Now I know. the replacement I am looking it is a Garrett, I guess that what I get for assuming.

I can't delete the harness, lol but I can delete the egr and the flapper valve so that's a good start for me. This car ran great until the cam caused the need for a complete rebuild. Just never the same again.

The car needs to be reliable or parted out. I don't want a car that runs like crap in my driveway anymore.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
So, I am thinking about deleting my EGR and ASV from my 2006 Jetta BRM TDI. The ASV is a pain in my butt and keeps getting a cel because of it. Every thread I read people are always warning about runaway on them if you delete it, but how often does it really happen? I have owned 9 diesel trucks, and have put on over a million miles combined and never had a runaway situation. Never even considered installing slide gates to stop runaway on my cummins, duramax, or powerstroke diesels.

So why is it such a concern with the TDI groups about runaway. are the turbo seals that weak? What am I missing? I am trying to make this car reliable.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Chris
I deleted both EGR and ASV on my car, my car is a 5 speed so if I have any trouble I could get it stopped, I think as long as your car is a 5 speed and you can remember to kill it with the clutch if you have a problem it is fine. Mine has been that way for almost 100,000 miles and I run stage 4 malone tunes with a bigger turbo and have never had a run away scenario. I did have to have malone remove the check engine light from having the ASV unplugged. Between the ASV, EGR, and Turbo without electronic feedback half the plugs under my hood are undone. Would probably be pretty confusing to someone that didn't know haha.