Lost 200kms per tank in cold southern Ontario

Maddawg

TDI
Jetta 2003.500.000 kms. 2001JETTA TDI.
I'm losing 200 km per tank this winter I haven't changed my driving habits at all. I'm assuming it has to do with the cold. This is my first diesel

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You can expect in the neighborhood of a 10-15% loss in the winter due to increased tire rolling resistance (especially if you use winter tires) thru snow, increased idling, greater electrical load on the engine (lights, heater fan, rear window defroster), cold temperature effects on grease, and in particular the fact that the fuel companies switch to an anti-gel diesel formulation that has less energy per liter.

That said, 200km sounds a bit on the edge...if it doesn't get better in the spring you may want to investigate further if you don't have time now.

A dragging emergency brake is a pretty common cause of a steep drop in fuel economy, for example. Timing that's off, air filter over-due for replacement... several other things to check.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I loose 100 miles per tank during the winter. Around 750 to 650. I’ve come to the conclusion after running an ultragauge on my car during operation that it’s the cold. It doesn’t allow your vehicle to warm up as quick and keep the optimum operating temperature as consistently.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Mine uses about an extra 1/2 liter per 100 kms in the winter. That number would surely be more if the car was parked outside or sustained temperatures would go below -20C.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
200km seems a little on the high side to blame only on temperatures and fuel.

E-brakes tend to become a bit troublesome in cold weather. Verify that your rear brakes aren't sticking.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Also verify that the coolant temp sensor and thermostat are working correctly. Those will rob you in fuel efficiency too.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Need to verify with at least a laser thermometer but better yet with VCDS.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Let me add to the laundry list: wheel bearings, some might not get noisy when failing and create extra friction that is worst when cold.

Is you car still on the original wheel bearings?
If changed, were they quality replacements?

Both my cars have now new wheel bearings in all 4 corners, some SKF, some Optimal...they roll like a dream now!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I'm losing 200 km per tank this winter I haven't changed my driving habits at all. I'm assuming it has to do with the cold. This is my first diesel

My 2015 Golf TDi is down ... some ... But Tulsa is a long way from that much cold temps :eek:

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
My last tank was 37.1 and that was with extended parked time during the super cold snap and short duration minimal warmup runs with a few highway trips in between the rest of the time.
That is high for this car in cold temps. It would be higher yet with fewer local hauls and more highway time.
We used the Honda during the snap and it averaged only 30 mpg or lower down from 40.
Extreme cold is really tough on all ICE:D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
My last tank was 37.1 and that was with extended parked time during the super cold snap and short duration minimal warmup runs with a few highway trips in between the rest of the time.
That is high for this car in cold temps. It would be higher yet with fewer local hauls and more highway time.

We used the Honda during the snap and it averaged only 30 mpg or lower down from 40.

Extreme cold is really tough on all ICE
:D
I really never thought that much about this issue. :confused:

Good to know. :)