Advice: Buying 2010-2012 TDI 6spd

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I'm helping my parents buy a new used TDI and wanted to ask you guys what you think of the new Jettas? Engine wise, suspension, EGR, clutch etc....

Tomorrow they will be looking at a 2010 with 45K miles Blk on Blk 6spd and panorama sunroof. I believe the price is $21K..

Questions:
Is there an EGR delete for these yet?
Do they have finicky dual mass clutches?
How are the PD motors in terms of alternative fuels? Are they even close to the ALH motors?
Do the turbos still have sticky vane issues?
What do you think of the price on the above Jetta?
Are the 2010s the same body style then the 2011-2013 or the same as the 2009?

Thanks guys!! I just wanted to get a heads up on this, since I will be the one doing all the repairs when **** hits the fan.

Cheers!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm helping my parents buy a new used TDI and wanted to ask you guys what you think of the new Jettas? Engine wise, suspension, EGR, clutch etc....

Tomorrow they will be looking at a 2010 with 45K miles Blk on Blk 6spd and panorama sunroof. I believe the price is $21K..

Questions:
Is there an EGR delete for these yet?
Do they have finicky dual mass clutches?
How are the PD motors in terms of alternative fuels? Are they even close to the ALH motors?
Do the turbos still have sticky vane issues?
What do you think of the price on the above Jetta?
Are the 2010s the same body style then the 2011-2013 or the same as the 2009?

Thanks guys!! I just wanted to get a heads up on this, since I will be the one doing all the repairs when **** hits the fan.

Cheers!
1) All 2009+ TDIs are 6 speeds, do you want a manual or a DSG (automatic shifting) transmission (both have 6 speeds)
2) EGR is intimately involved with emissions control - no deletes
3) 2009+ TDIs are not PDs at all, they are CRs (Common Rail) - a very different beast
4) Sticky vanes - depends mostly on how you drive them
5) I don't know about prices
6) 2010 sedans are still Mk5 chassis with a little Mk6 electronics. 2011+ sedans and 2010+ wagens have mk6 front ends, dashboards, and electronics, but they are still basically a Mk5 chassis. It can get a little confusing.

If you are looking with one with the panoramic sunroof, it must be the wagen. It sounds like you have a lot to learn. You better start reading.

Have Fun!

Don

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
They are looking for 2010+ Jetta TDI manual tranny.

I will deffinitly keep reading. The only main concerns I have is the EGR, exhaust flap and VNT. Ive seen a few manufactures with EGR delete for the CR but no exhaust flap delete?

Any major benefit, long term to get an 2011 over the 2010. As in Mk5 chassis VS Mk6 chassis?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
They are looking for 2010+ Jetta TDI manual tranny.

I will deffinitly keep reading. The only main concerns I have is the EGR, exhaust flap and VNT. Ive seen a few manufactures with EGR delete for the CR but no exhaust flap delete?

Any major benefit, long term to get an 2011 over the 2010. As in Mk5 chassis VS Mk6 chassis?
The only exhaust flap delete is a complete emissions system delete with is illegal and against the forum rules to discuss here. Another possible worry would be the HPFP.

Have Fun!

Don

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
understood!

Yeah the high pressure pump issue could be a major deal breaker. It seems rare but if it does fail, that's a major repair (parts wise). I don't mind doing the work, but it seems insane that this is even an issue.

What's the status of the HPFP anyway? install a filter after the pump to catch the metal? use lube? haha

there are just a zillion topics on this that would take days to read through.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Start reading please! No need to rehash it all here again. You need to be aware of all this before you buy. The responsibility is on you. If you have specific questions you can't find the answers to, post them and someone will help. Welcome to tdiclub!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Alternative fuels are also out in the newer models. Nothing over 5% bio. Some have used more but do some reading on this also.

ipsissimus

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT
The price sounds high to me.

I just bought a new 2012 Jetta TDI 6MT for $21.8K including TTL.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
The price sounds high to me.

I just bought a new 2012 Jetta TDI 6MT for $21.8K including TTL.
While I agree that the price seems a bit high, but not ridiculously, you have to remember that the 2010 was a more expensive car to begin with.

ipsissimus

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT
While I agree that the price seems a bit high, but not ridiculously, you have to remember that the 2010 was a more expensive car to begin with.
It was.

But when that price for a used '10 is within a short spitting distance of a new one, one that you will get to break in and create the vehicle history for............no brainer to me.

But that's why they make vanilla and chocolate...

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Thanks guys, a little update..

The TDI my parents were looking at from the dealer that I stated earlier turned out to be not that great. It also only came with a 2yr/24k warranty...

Found another, slightly newer TDI for 22K and a 10yr/100K mile warranty. So due to the HPFP issues that extended warranty should get them up until 100K miles, by that time maybe something will be resolved with the HPFP.

I have been trying to get them into a 01-03 Wagon 5spd but that mean a full on country search that they can't handle.