parts car or daily driver

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Your Time Value and Potential Return....

Looking at the condition of the engine, possible transmission and suspension work, it looks like a lot of work to repair. You have the expertise, skills, equipment and parts to repair it. I'm sure you can have it running as well or better than before it was damaged, but with a salvage title and knowledge of the cars history to potential buyers it will limit what you can sale it for?

Do you plan to keep it yourself, be willing to take a financial hit or just want a project?

Opinion of course, and you know what they say about those.

casey823

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta sedan, 2002 golf tdi
If it is for sure going to be a DD it might be worth it. Almost every car I own has a salvage title, but none that I have had near the damage as this one. Body damage and airbag deployment I can get passed. All the mechanical stuff is what has me on the fence. I get that you have the parts, but if it were me I would save those parts for a car that doesnt have as much damage as this one. That car would more than likely have a clear title also and be more valuable. How often do you see project alh cars in your area for sale? I see them alot within 500 miles of me so I would use this car as a parts car...

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
So if you fix it what then? Would this be a car for you or a family member to drive? A shop loaner? Customer comes in with a bad trans and is contemplating rebuilding or swapping. Throw them the keys and help them with the decision.

ALH, Manual trans, heated cloth seats is a nice
combination.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Being who you are, you can probably locate a unit body without the smash problem. I would harvest all that I could and graft onto/in to a non-damaged body. That would include interior as well.

Any way you cut it, it takes quite lot of time. But, I have been doing this for over 25 years (with older VW's) and I honestly can not remember what having a monthly car payment is even like. Living off the fat of the land.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Fix it.
Since you state you have the parts and obviously the know how to do it.. if you have the time, save a TDI

This car in any other hands is bound to the wreck yard..

And if you ever decide to get rid of it but cant becausd of the salvage title you can always part it out...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Always hard to tell at first, because there is so much messed up. I always like to strip all the crashed/broken/mangled bits away and evaluate what is underneath that is NOT able to be removed with normal fasteners.

Looks to me like the worst of it is just the inner fender structures up high, but a lot of it depends on what used parts you may already have for it laying around.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
With your skill set, I think you should fix it. I bet you will be in it for less than $2500 all in...

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
With all your know-how; I would also agree to fix it. An in-progress video would be very educational as well.