EPA/CARB incentive?

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Now that the settlement's approved, what's the agencies' incentive to accept the various fixes offered by VW, whenever they do eventually become available?

Also, I'm in no rush to get any fix done until there is more clarity from the state of Massachusetts.

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I don't think a fix has been approved yet, even for our EA288s

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I see no real incentives for CARB or EPA to approve anything. The real money grubbing states like here in MD are hoping for no approvals. That would mean more excise (sales) tax from car sales when folks replace their TDI's and more emissions testing $$, since gassers are tested while diesels are not.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I see no real incentives for CARB or EPA to approve anything. The real money grubbing states like here in MD are hoping for no approvals. That would mean more excise (sales) tax from car sales when folks replace their TDI's and more emissions testing $$, since gassers are tested while diesels are not.
Not sure how individuals who work in the EPA, CARB, or any state government personally benefit from not approving the settlement.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Let's just say there will be lots of us running around with our "dirty" diesels then, with no intention of doing anything else with them. It makes ZERO sense to me to get rid of a perfectly fine automobile just because there is no fix available, AND we can keep driving them FOREVER as they are - no matter what state you live in. Getting a fix done is NOT a requirement for the owner to do to keep driving it, and the states can't just go back and arbitrarily say "all TDI's from 2009-2015 MUST pass a law created in 2017".

So - there's your "incentive" for CARB/EPA to approve the proposed fixes if they make the standards agreed to in the settlement.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Let's just say there will be lots of us running around with our "dirty" diesels then, with no intention of doing anything else with them. It makes ZERO sense to me to get rid of a perfectly fine automobile just because there is no fix available, AND we can keep driving them FOREVER as they are - no matter what state you live in. Getting a fix done is NOT a requirement for the owner to do to keep driving it, and the states can't just go back and arbitrarily say "all TDI's from 2009-2015 MUST pass a law created in 2017".

So - there's your "incentive" for CARB/EPA to approve the proposed fixes if they make the standards agreed to in the settlement.
There are a handful of states that didn't agree to the settlement, and can arbitrarily deny registration on the cars.

The list of non-settling states:
Arizona, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont and West Virginia
Live in any of them, and they are not bound to the terms of not barring registration due to having or not having the fix.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are a handful of states that didn't agree to the settlement, and can arbitrarily deny registration on the cars.

The list of non-settling states:
Arizona, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont and West Virginia
Live in any of them, and they are not bound to the terms of not barring registration due to having or not having the fix.
Personally - I really doubt they will. All the people expressing concern on this are NOT in any state listed (except NJ ).

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
Getting a fix done is NOT a requirement for the owner to do to keep driving it, and the states can't just go back and arbitrarily say "all TDI's from 2009-2015 MUST pass a law created in 2017".

How sure of this are you? I've been researching this topic and I have heard this before, but I'd still like to here from the state of Ct, that we will either grandfather these in or not change the rule let's say 3 years from now. Honestly this issue is keeping me from deciding what to do. I want to keep the car even if that means forgoing restitution. I just don't want to gamble and get bit on the backside by new legislation. Thanks

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This is what I consider a gray area, even for states that have "taken the king's shilling" and are theoretically bound by the emissions agreed to in the settlement. Maybe so, but there's a lot of room to wiggle otherwise. If I lived in a state like CA or MA, no way in the world I wouldn't be doing the buyback.

NB: In the interest of "full disclosure," I'm doing the buyback in any case, and we live in a state that tests nothing (IL).

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
This is what I consider a gray area, even for states that have "taken the king's shilling" and are theoretically bound by the emissions agreed to in the settlement. Maybe so, but there's a lot of room to wiggle otherwise. If I lived in a state like CA or MA, no way in the world I wouldn't be doing the buyback.

NB: In the interest of "full disclosure," I'm doing the buyback in any case, and we live in a state that tests nothing (IL).
They can always pass a new law targeting all passenger car diesels, just like forcing emissions testing on cars already owned. Given most are VWs, and other than BMW and a handful of chevy cruze that sold, all the 4 cylinder ones are VW. Now I'd expect them to get sued for doing so, basically rendering an asset worthless, but when has that ever stopped a politician from trying to save the population from itself.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Getting a fix done is NOT a requirement for the owner to do to keep driving it, and the states can't just go back and arbitrarily say "all TDI's from 2009-2015 MUST pass a law created in 2017".

How sure of this are you? I've been researching this topic and I have heard this before, but I'd still like to here from the state of Ct, that we will either grandfather these in or not change the rule let's say 3 years from now. Honestly this issue is keeping me from deciding what to do. I want to keep the car even if that means forgoing restitution. I just don't want to gamble and get bit on the backside by new legislation. Thanks
I am 100 % sure on the states that have taken settlement money - no exceptions (including CA). Don't worry about driving your fixed OR unfixed TDI in these states until you get tired of the car. As long as it passes the OBDII checks ( i.e. it passes the standards for it's model year (except NOx)) - you will be good forever.

I don't see the justification on the other states either - Nationwide , you're talking about 400,000 - 500,000 vehicles - figure a much smaller number for those states. The numbers just don't make sense for them to start denying registrations on the relatively few vehicles affected. We have seen IN THE FORUMS from OK residents that OK DOES NOT emissions check diesels - strike one state. If any of the others DO check - I would not be a bit surprised that it is only an OBDII check. Even the unfixed cars should pass that. You can also figure that if the states rectroactively change the rules on emissions testing there would be hell to pay in the courts against the states.

Come on people - in the BIG SCHEME of the world - this is a gnat's bite on an elephant (if THAT big).

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
I suspect it is not worth the money for any state to deny registration. In NJ where I live the state DMV is underfunded and under pressure just to keep the lines down at the DMV offices from wrapping around the building 1 time.
Making a change for a few VW's to deny registration is not going to happen.
The state just dropped inspection for any car older than 96 or pre-OBDII.
So now I can drive my old cars around and pollute even more than my clean TDI.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NC is much the same - Light Duty automotive diesels or pre OBDII - pass on the emissions, just need to pass a safety inspection. I do not own ANY vehicles that require emissions checks - '88 Acura Integra, 2000 NB TDI (modified), 2015 Golf TDI, and a 1998 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie motorcycle