Rocket chip?????

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
I under stand RC is probably the best but I have left emails and pm's over the last 3 months and the only response from jsrmonster has been to "not send email from this site"I only want to upgrade the tunning on my jetta and cannot beleive there has been no follow-up.I have read that its a 1 man outfit and to be patient but is it to much to ask for a return phone call????
WHAT GIVES?
chris
773-551-3265

Jackilus

TDI
His: 03 Candyweiss 2dr Golf, Hers: 2K Black Jetta
Don't waste money on the dyno run after. It takes a good amount of driving for the tune to really settle in.

winter

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (for sale) 2011 Sportwaggy
keep pestering jeff, he'll help ya out.

dunlin182

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/2000/black
keep trying jeff. I got a hold of him one weekend, sent my ecu to him by mail monday, had it back on thursday, so in less than one week of talking to him, i had my ecu rechipped from stage2 to stage3.1c. Its worth the wait.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Have you ever seen this:

"MAILER-DAEMON@@yahoo.com" MAILER-DAEMON@@yahoo.com. . . .

It means the return email could not be delivered. Try another email client, and be patient.

Alot of you guys spoof your return email address to protect it from mass mailer programs. I got 4 of these yesterday, so that means 4 more guys will get mad at me for no reason.

Jeff

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
Jackilus said:
Don't waste money on the dyno run after. It takes a good amount of driving for the tune to really settle in.
WHOAH WHOAH

First, the idea that it takes 50 miles for the chip to settle is silly, I had my car upgraded to RC3 and the change was immediate, I had Turbo gauge and EGT gauge to prove it!
If you must than take a ride for ten miles and come back.

Second, What are you guys talking about, our dyno event is 75$ for MULTIPLE RUNS

WE ARE ENCOURAGE anybody who is chip tuning, adjusting timing etc to do a run before and after.
We are paying a REALLY good price to have 8 hours access to a dyno and hang out and eat.

To the poster, if Baltimore, MD is not too much of a drive for you, or you have friends out here I would highly suggest the trip.
When it comes down to it you have two options, either mail your ECU unit to jeff (your car will be out of commision for a few days)
Or drive to see him.
I always suggest GTG's as the best time/place but whether you go to his house or this GTG it is the same distance. he lives about an hour from the event.

The dyno is 75$ for all the runs you need and the chip is at least 300$.

Also dont forget this is a fundraiser for the non-profit RallyVW race team.
both paying for dyno and chip will benefit the team. please read the post more carefully and if you are interested than PM me ASAP.
Spots are almost gone.

Last edited:

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
Man tuning boxes are so 2002.

I would say its not a bad idea if it is impossible for you to get chipped by RC or Upsolute but at 700 CAD$ this is crazy.

you could
A: Fly Jeff to where you live (if he wants)
B: Send him your ECU Overnight Express and RENT A CAR

In either situation in the end you have a more logical solution.

I would never pay MORE for a box, and really who wants the headache.

bluesmoker said:
get a tuning box instead, these guys have great service

http://jsperformance.ca/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=50_57

Kenbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi TDI
I would much rather have my ECU chip-tuned than use a box. However, on an A5, it is a MAJOR headache to remove the ECU. We can't get Jeff to come anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. (I understand, my dad refused to go anywhere north of it.) Most of the hardcore Rocketchip devotees live within a 10 hour drive or the GTG's as they all happen up north. If you look at the map, it's a 24 hour drive for Texans each way, and folks often don't manage to get chipped even after driving long distances. If we can't arrange a GTG in Texas in the next 6 months, I'm going to look at my chipping options including the Speedtuning chip.

There's no need to respond with any comments about Rocketchip being the best, you get what you pay for, blah blah blah. I've already read that ad nauseum. (And for what it's worth, I'd rather use Jeff if he'd come down here.)

By the way, how many Rocketchipped A5's are in the South?

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
Well you know the drill then.

I did not know that is was difficult to get the ECU with the mkv, with the mkiv it was just the rubber strip and its right next to the cabin filter.

If you could fly him out and put him up I dont see why he wouldnt do it. It would be much cheaper for 5 people to split a plane ticket and 100$ hotel room than 5 people to drive up to the mid atlantic.
Also whats good is Jeff enjoys GTG's

So speedtuning has code for the MKV's now? I wonder how the guys at the "austrian" lab figured that one out.

All I got to say to that is that I was ripped off when I got my "Stage3" from them in late 03'. I got to see it, all that was added was some measly fuel maps.

If you cant get RC than go for Upsolute, although I hear they are a bit too aggresive.

Also dont forget we have hard data on the MKV 5spd and RC1+

after this dyno event we will have more data including runs on a DSG, and 04' 5spd.

Kenbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi TDI
Guys have been trying to arrange a Texas GTG for quite some time with the hope of getting Jeff down here. I don't know if we just aren't very good coordinators or if there's already so much business up north that Jeff doesn't need to come down here. Personally I'd pay in advance non-refundable to guarantee a slot at a GTG in Austin or Houston. I bet we could get at least 10 others to do the same.

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
Well at our GTG we are requiring deposits of 50$ for dyno, and 150$ for chip.

Personally I would of preferred 100% payment sent directly to him, and decide on a reasonable travel budget, split that and then send that to him.

All you need is 5 really dedicated people. Once somebody pays the man then its a non issue, you know?
Tdiclub members are NOTORIOUS for being noshows.
I got SICK of seeing it happen so I required deposits for my GTG.
Its the only way to guarantee it.

Or rent/borrow a car, like the guy said above, total 4 days turn around.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I think you guys can still call me to arrange RC stuff. My phone number is in my sig.
I'm supposed to have been reselling RC for over a year now, but the equipment never got quite worked out. Therefore I am making a very substantial investment in all of the latest state of the art chiptuning gear, including OBD programmers, tuning software, BDM programmer, the whole works, so having the right equipment should no longer be an issue. Should be able to help Jeff handle this stuff if he still wants me to. Local guys especially.

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
Unless things are changing i think that is a code that Jeff keeps for his own installs only.

Im glad to see Kerma is putting down on this, Jeff really needs help doing this accross the country by TRUSTWORTHY people.

I encouraged him once to merge with APR, or sell the Intelectual Property and work for them. They have the best R&D and codes for 1.8t and 2.0t and Jeff has the best for Diesel. I beleive both are the best worldwide.
I think that setting would be great for Jeff, APR has a 'campus' with 5-10 engineers (ex- former honda developers) and all kinds of photo-lithograph(?) machines that make car parts out polymer for testing. Look how far Jeff has gone on his own in his basement and garage, think if he had a real lab and people working for him. ALot of people seem to forget that he is an Electrical Engineer by trade.

European Car magazine quoted an APR spokesperson saying that VW was going to release an "APR GTI" as an OEM model, like when you buy a BMW M series, or a Mercedes AMG"
Although 6 months later this is yet to materialize it sounds highly probable.
Could you imagine if VW had an OEM RC TDI, probably have 200 HP!

Kabin said:
Kerma,

Will that investment include equipment for PD tunes also?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Kabin said:
Kerma,

Will that investment include equipment for PD tunes also?
Yes, with everything upgradeable as new models come out.
And a few new twists...

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
jrsmonster-

I have never received a return email message!!!also i have my number posted and still no calls.PLEASE post your number so potential customers can contact you.Are you coming to the chicagoland are anytime soon?Whats your schedule for the CTG's

Thanks
Chris
773-551-3265!!

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
Um thats not going to happen, I can fill in what I have heard:

Rocketchip(Jeff) and WegenerEngineering(Oliver) are taking off most of janruary.

We are having our GTG here in MD/DC Dec 2, We wanted to do it 2 weeks later, but changed for Jeff.

I cant speak for the CT GTG's but to be honest i think for the next 5 weeks all you can do is either come to MD dec 2 or mail him your ECU.

But dont ask him to post his number, I know for a fact that is not what he wants, he uses a reported 4000 mins a month

Now I dont defend his method, but i do defend his dignity.
He does not do this for the money and nor the fame, its a hobby and the fees cover his enormous expenses for equipment and travel.

I live an hour away from him and even i had to be patient. I could have driven 8 hours to a gtg in Ohio.

If driving 8 hours or whatever it takes you is ok for you, I can guarantee you a spot for tuning. but like i said earlier dynoing is required due to the nature of the event, but its a small price to pay for the luxury of a high quality instrument.
Everyone should dyno their car.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
straightliner said:
jrsmonster-

I have never received a return email message!!!Are you coming to the chicagoland are anytime soon?Whats your schedule for the CTG's

Thanks
Chris
If past tradition holds true for 2007 Jeff should be doing a Rally VW Chipping GTG by Columbus, OH area in spring and should also be at the Michigan Memorial Day GTG (which is close as he gets to Chicagoland usually). He's always at ImpexFest in Baltimore, MD which is held on first Saturday of May as well. Consider taking a trip to see him - it's not like you get poor fuel mileage in a TDI anyway!

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
and there is another GTG here in maryland in 9 days!

I am giving him an oppportunity to do it Dec 2, if he is willing to drive to Maryland

winter

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW, getting an ECM out of an A5 jetta is a nightmare and due to the windshields dropping low to the air plenum and the very thin sheet metal, you stand a good chance of cracking the windshield trying to wrestle the ECM out. You need a dremmel tool to cut a screwdriver slot on the one mounting pin to remove it (some sort of VW anti-tampering idea), then it will be easier to remove.

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
oh lame, well i guess thay means alot of roadtrips for either Jeff or his clients.

With the influx of MKV's I suggest that you guys too far split travel expenses and fly him out.

Do what I did, find a dyno shop and do a GTG. so far we have made it a smashing suceess.
Everyone sent deposits, only benefit we have is Jeff lives an hour away.

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
A big Thank You ! for all your suggestions however,I work probably close to 60hrs a week it would be impossible for myself to drive to MD. I would have to either wait or send my ecm in.Does anybody know whats offered for reprograming? and the effects the different stages have?I own a 06 jetta tdi/auto.

chris

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I am no expert but I don't think Jeff would give you anything over 1+ cuz of the DSG tranny. Don't quote me on that though.

winter

Veteran Member
TDI
Charm said:
oh lame, well i guess thay means alot of roadtrips for either Jeff or his clients.

With the influx of MKV's I suggest that you guys too far split travel expenses and fly him out.

Do what I did, find a dyno shop and do a GTG. so far we have made it a smashing suceess.
Everyone sent deposits, only benefit we have is Jeff lives an hour away.
Yup, we had a tune-n-greet at our shop earlier this month, worked out well! We had 3 PD's, two 00-03's and a 98 TDI. Everyone left very happy with Jeff's handywork :D

winter

Veteran Member
TDI
2footbraker said:
I am no expert but I don't think Jeff would give you anything over 1+ cuz of the DSG tranny. Don't quote me on that though.
Same kinda goes with the stickshift as well, although Jeff notes there is a ton he can do with the PD's to make them scream. Hmmm.... wifes car may get an early upgrade:D

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
straightliner said:
A big Thank You ! for all your suggestions however,I work probably close to 60hrs a week it would be impossible for myself to drive to MD. I would have to either wait or send my ecm in.Does anybody know whats offered for reprograming? and the effects the different stages have?I own a 06 jetta tdi/auto.
chris
As we were just discussing it is told it is extremely difficult to remove your ECU, read above to get an idea of what is involved. that is a huge difference between your car (commonly referred to as the MKV) and the MKIV and MKIII.

And they are right jeff has a code custom made for the mkv called RC1+. your engine has much higher compression and is capable of much more power. RC1+ takes it to the near safe limit.
When we do our Dyno event next week I can tell you exactly what my brothers car got before and after, you and him have the same car.

IF you work 60 hours then either your a victim of society or you work hard to earn hard.
The most expensive route would be to fly jeff on southwest, pick him up take him to dinner, have him flash your car, then take him back to the airport. If you pay him 100$ extra for his troubles and of course his flight and dinner you still would be paying the same or less than the 700$ tuning box, even if this extreme measure cost you 1000$ you wouldnt leave feeling you wasted 700 on a sketchy box.

Again I am not saying I know Jeff would do that, but if it was me I would offer him 700$ and pay for the flight.

OR find someone you trust to drive your car out here next week, pay them 200$ plus hotel. thats a cheaper alternative.

in case you were asking, Peter Noble scored 152 hp and 240 lbs of tourque with JUST the RC 1+ and only 2000 miles on the odometer.