2004 PASSAT WAGON, 4Motion... project, $800.00

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF, '04 Passat Wagon, 5-speed, BSD, our 8th. and 9th. TDI's
This car is in superb condition, 120k miles, older person owned it, I bought it from an Estate sale situation. V6 30v, 4Motion, not running, transmission blown. The transmission blew and it sat for nearly two years. The engine want's to start, but I'm not putting any effort or cash into trying to get it to run. Light metallic green with hi-option grey leather interior, Climatronic, Memory seats. This car is almost perfect, one small dent back by a taillight, cracked the lens, otherwise, very few dings. The interior looks like the only seat that was sat in was the driver's seat, and even that, not much. I initially bought it to be a parts car for another project but after having it at my house for a while I've decided it's just too nice to part out. This would make a great TDI-Manual Transmission car. I have consulted with Frans at Dutch Auto parts and Mike McCann, a Mechanic in Westfield, Mass. I found from this Forum who is doing the heavy work on my other Wagon project. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475340 Mike has done many conversions and a few involving 4Motion cars. Frans can supply the parts and has them available. including Engine, Trans, misc. under-hood parts, etc. There are a few threads around about it, it's been done before and apparently it makes a great vehicle... a TDI 4Motion Standard Transmission Wagon! If I were independently wealthy I'd build this myself. I'll post some pictures soon.

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine & Trans. Estimate...

This is not a plug for Frans or Mike McCann but meant to inform interested parties. YMMV.

From Frans at Dutch Auto parts, 4-6-2017:

Full sets about €3000. Engine/gearbox/ entire driveline,
> > wiring/intercooler/ecu etc. comes with new flywheel and clutch.
> > Shipping is about €750 (freight)

In my limited experience with Frans and his services, his parts are always extremely clean and in very good condition, his kits, very complete. Others on this Forum have had the same experience. Mike McCann is good, efficient and experienced. His labor charge is fair and reasonable. His shop is in Westfield Mass.

Add labor, ECU tuning, as desired... you'd likely be done for 6-7k, IMHO. Less if you do the work yourself. More to follow...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
There have been lot's of views to this thread, I assume that translates to interest, so I'll post some pictures as soon as the sun come out around here, sometime this weekend.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Pictures:

OK, here they are. The car is dusty, but still seems pretty darn shiny:

On Trailer, ready to go.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
For the 800 bucks I'm keeping this set of wheels. I have a set of OE alloys that will go with the car. $1000.00 and you can have these wheels. If anyone is interested, and want the work done by Mike McCann, let me know. I can deliver the car to him, you can contact Frans, buy the parts, he can drop-ship the parts to Mike, and in a month or so, with a valid credit card of course, you'll have a 4Motion TDI Manual Transmission Passat Wagon. It's not quite that simple, as this car started life as a Gas V6 Auto car. The electronics will be the biggest hassle, these Passats and the CAN can have Gremlins just because it's... Saturday... or whatever, but once it's all working, and the newly-tuned ECU get's all happy with life being a TDI manual, it SHOULD be good to go. YMMV. Look around on posts and whatnot, ask around, it has been done before and, I've been told, the results are worth it.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Possible scenarios...

I've received three private messages about this car and possible scenarios. An ALH engine or a BHW? Get parts from Frans or use a parts car? There are many solutions to this project, and each person might already have a donor car or have a collection of parts or a philosophy that calls for a particular result. Bottom line is, whatever works for you. If it were my project I'd get a good donor Passat TDI locally and get the 4Motion trans and clutch kit from Frans. Do the balance shaft delete, perhaps a cam, tune... Whatever. Good running but raggedy or wrecked donor cars are out there. Automatic transmissions are dropping like flies, and many deals abound. Turning an ALH to be a longitudinal placement has been done, but some non-standard bits must be used, creating a Frankenstein of sorts... IMHO, If you start with a US Spec BHW TDI Passat when you pop the hood, all would be "normal". That would be my preference but there are reasonable arguments for using an ALH engine... The car is certainly cheap enough from me for a person to go many different routes and still end up with a decent end product for a "reasonable" cost. That is, of course, a subjective statement. I stumbled into this car at a great price, and I'll use it as a parts car if I have to, with no regrets, the interior would look great in my other car! ... but, if some one wants a 4Motion wagon, this would be a great place to start. I am in the midst of another wagon conversion project, not a 4 Motion, (see my other thread) and was deep into it when I found this car. I only have enough money for one project at a time! I'd love to build them both, but I can't. So it goes...

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a sale, only!

Dear Friends... I only want to sell this car, not manage another conversion project. If you are interested, great. Please know it has been done before but I am NOT going to do "Project Management" for this. I have provided quite a bit of information about the particular conversion possibility. Beyond that, please do your own research, get your own parts quotes, if you're not going to do the work contract a mechanic yourself, arrange your own transportation, etc. It comes with a clear Title from the previous owner, no liens, assignment signed, and a Bill of Sale from me. Take your own chances it's all going to work. It's $800.00. Buy the car or don't buy the car, but give me a 'freakin break already. Not trying to be a jerk, just a realist.

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Car no longer for sale because...

Wanted for a V6 4Motion swap project. I'm looking for a VERY nice parts car, Passat TDI 2000-2005 or so. My preference would be for a low-ish mileage car, say, 150k or so, well maintained that perhaps was wrecked or suffered some other indignity. I need ALL the under-hood parts intact so a serious front-end collision would not be what I'm looking for. Was your perfect car hammered in a rear-end collision? Did you just sink big money into the balance shaft delete only to be crunched by a tree? That's the kind of car I'm looking for. I have a trailer and will consider long distances and I'll pay good money for the right car. Thanks for your consideration, Duteman

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I've decided this one has to go. Wife and I went to Alaska for a month and spent money like drunken sailors. We have to pay for that trip first! No spare money for this great 4-motion project. So, someone give me a reasonable offer, I'll even deliver it for a Buck a mile, within 200 miles of Hartford, CT. It'll become a parts car in a month if it's not gone. Cheers! Duteman

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold!

...to a member who is going to have MIKE McCANN at 413 Auto in Westfield, Ma. do the heavy lifting on the TDI-Manual swap! I'm very excited to see this car go to a project rather than a parts bin! Can't wait to see how it comes out.