Malone Tuning - Stage 0.5 Tune for 2015 Golf/Jetta/Passat

WhatFloor

TDI
Golf 2015 TDI S Manual (Purchased new in 2017)
Looking to keep my car post dieselgate. Biggest concern is emissions equipment.

Would you guys recommend a stage 0.5? I don't care about power or performance. Efficiency and reliability are my main concerns, I want to drive this car for another 14 years and laugh my way to the gas station twice a month.

I'm thinking once VW gives me some free cash I will throw on a Buzzken straight pipe (bare ass) and do a stage 0.5.
http://www.fixmyvw.com/malone-tuning-stage-0-5-tune-for-2015-golf-jetta-passat-cr-tdi/

Does any of this make sense? How much labour do you guys think this would all cost? I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to all of this stuff, so I'm thinking of going straight to Buzzken (if the price is right)

How much would you guys expect to pay for all of this? Anything I should worry about? Flywheel shudder scares me. I just want a reliable/simple diesel.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Lots of people are waiting for vw's "fix" so they can get it done, afterwhich they'll quickly do a proper fix with a pipe and Malone tune.

WhatFloor

TDI
Golf 2015 TDI S Manual (Purchased new in 2017)
Stage 0.5

to be honest with you i'm a huge idiot when it comes to ECU tuning

straight pipe + stage 0.5 = better efficiency / a more simple system (no DPF crap to deal with)

my intuition tells me if you ask for more HP you will ask engine to work harder. i want to avoid a stage 1 if possible. i've heard about flywheel issues and personally i would rather take the bus than drive an automatic. if by 2040 electric cars will be under 21k you can bet your ass we are living the end of combustion engines... enjoy your manual tranny while you can.
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-ev-oil-crisis/

back to the tune. stage 1 could / perhaps have an effect on efficiency / reliability (don't freakout guys, i'm sure it is fine). i know a lot of you guys say it won't. i trust your opinion but at the end of the day i don't care about power. i just want a viable simple alternative to the fix. stage 0.5 is just an extra 15HP and no torque... so i am assuming this is just a result of having a free flowing exhaust?

Last edited:

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
whatfloor, did you get the Malone 0.5? I'm considering that for my JSW, which I will be keeping into fall of 2018.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is VW Canada offering the same emissions warranty as in the US? If so 11 of the next 15 years are covered. And you should also make sure you can pass inspection in Quebec with a deleted vehicle.

I don't think you'll see much of an improvement in durability with a deleted vehicle, as long as you keep the emissions system in good repair. IMO the reason to do a delete is if the system has failed and you don't want to go to the expense of replacing components. But if it's under warranty...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't you have the EA288 in your car? If so you need to look here for a tune instead:

http://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/audi-volkswagen/tdi/20l-cr-tdi-150hp

My reply from Malone as to what is available for my 2015 Beetle tdi:

Hi David,

We can tune for pretty well everything on this motor. Standard stage 2 picks up about 40HP/70lb-ft (what we list on the website is conservative, I'm putting down 135/230 -> 175/300 consistently on the dynapack), we can also do full delete tunes and have tuned a few vehicles with larger turbos. These can be flashed through the OBD2 port, either with a falshzilla V3, or through one of our distributors.

Let us know what works for you and if you have any other questions

Thank you,
Owain

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
At least the typo lets you know it's not copy/pasted :p

Tuning boxes don't really work on these newer platforms, they would have to be very complicated unlike older VE/PD models. A lot of things you have to trick, and then the ECU has a bunch of wrong values that it's trying to work around. Would be best to leave it alone if you're trying to preserve your warranty, burger tuning is the main reputable tuning box provider for German platforms in NA and they don't have anything listed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well the government will be watching these things, so pretty darn good if you ask me. Better than any other warranty, which also have issues honoring them to some extent.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Well the government will be watching these things,

so pretty darn good if you ask me. Better than any other warranty,

which also have issues honoring them to some extent.
^^^^

Agreed

the gov will be on VW, as the gov has already got into the VW coffers for milti Billions :eek:

As far as I understand 11 years, and 162,000 warranties are no where but here. And worth a lot of $$$$s

Issues:

If the vehicle has been modified by the customer prior to receiving the emissions modification in a manner that may yield a non-compliant emissions system (for example, removal of a catalyst, installation of parts that impact emissions or emissions- related parts, or modifications to the ECU or computer software of the vehicle), Volkswagen may not be able to perform the emissions modification until the customer corrects such modification.

IMO, If anyone does a MOD before stage 2, of the fix, might be costly. :mad:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Not everyone is a slave to the warranty. No matter how good it is.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most are. Those who are not should be able to handle their own issues without complaining.

In the future someone will post a thread about getting messed over by bad o' VW on their 11 year, 162,000 miles warranty.

Because they did a MOD; and they are looking at a multi thousand dollar repair.

Might even be worthy of becoming a sticky

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Many already have in the past. This time though the government is involved. Imagine what they will say when they are told you modified the cars programming?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The piggyback devices are just as much grounds for warranty denial (and more likely to cause problems) as a tune. It's just easier to deceive VW by removing them. I guess it's an ethics thing. Personally, I'd rather tune and enjoy my car than worry about every possible scenario.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not everyone is a slave to the warranty. No matter how good it is.
This. I'm indifferent to the warranty. And I don't plan to take my car back for the update in a year or whenever it is. Odds are it won't have enough miles on it to need anything anyway.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is free and may come in extremely handy to those who don't work on their cars. I am indifferent to the tune. I think the car drives perfectly fine as it is. I had a 2006 Jetta, tuned and straight piped and now a 2003 Beetle tuned and the 2015 Beetle stock. The 2015 seems at least as powerful/economical as my 2006 Jetta was.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many already have in the past. This time though the government is involved.

Imagine what they will say when they are told you modified the cars programming?
Most will man up.

Even with 100% no MODs, failures will happen. And we all hope the 162-11 warranty will make owners complete.

Happy motoring to all --- :)

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
^^^^

Agreed

the gov will be on VW, as the gov has already got into the VW coffers for milti Billions :eek:

As far as I understand 11 years, and 162,000 warranties are no where but here. And worth a lot of $$$$s

Issues:

If the vehicle has been modified by the customer prior to receiving the emissions modification in a manner that may yield a non-compliant emissions system (for example, removal of a catalyst, installation of parts that impact emissions or emissions- related parts, or modifications to the ECU or computer software of the vehicle), Volkswagen may not be able to perform the emissions modification until the customer corrects such modification.

IMO, If anyone does a MOD before stage 2, of the fix, might be costly. :mad:
I agree the warranty should be easy to redeem on stock vehicles.

Regarding this quote, I read the last line to say that the car will have to be reverted back to stock before VW does there thing.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Wait til you get the Part 2 fix, then delete DPF/SCR if you want.. then whats left for the warranty to cover?

They've covered the HPFP on tuned cars before w/no problem.. thats the valuable part of the warranty, if my Turbo fails I'll fork the money out of my own pocket for a bigger one.. engine failure is pretty unheard of.

I'm getting a Stage 2 Tune and DPF/SCR Delete on my 3.0L once its been fixed, it'll never go back to the dealer again unless the fuel pump grenades and I'll put a new fuel pump in before the warranty expires.

Last edited:

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Yesterday I had Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune installed. I had intended to only get the DSG tune, but after driving 30 seconds with only the DSG tune I succumbed to desire and had the Stage 2 installed as well.

Car drives like a TDI should now.

It's my f**g car and I want to enjoy it. I am fortunate in that I can afford not to worry about the warranty. I understand that's not the case for many people.

Thank you Malone and Trentec Automotive.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I didn't think Malone has a DSG tune out for the '15s yet.