Do your friends tell you that your car stinks?

Speedracer

Veteran Member
My friends tell me that my interior reeks. I have used up an entire can of unscented Lysol down the cabin air intake. Sprayed the interior with a mildew/mold killer product. Let it air out in the sun. Nothing works. I use the A/C 90% of the time until recently in hopes that more fresh air would help. Problem is I smell a hint of it in the morning but I guess I'm used to it. I thought my friends were conspiring to mess with my mind but most of them don't know one another... Can anyone help with this????

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Speedracer ]

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
There was a thread about this recently that had some good suggestions.. wish I could remember what they were.

Does your car dribble condensed water out the underside when you are running the AC? The hose that drains the condensate from the AC core could be plugged, causing a pool of water to slosh around in your dash and grow mold.

Another thing to try (which probably wont work so well in humid florida) is to turn off the AC a few minutes before you arrive at your destination and keep the fan turned up so as to help dry out the core before you shut down. Maybe even turn on the heat and let it idle for a few minutes, that might help dry it out too.

tdibugman

Veteran Member
Yup, first off, be sure the A/C is draining.
Second, I have three words : Febreze Auto Clean. I am known to occasionally leave the windows open overnight in the car, and there is sometimes a damp odor because of it. I spray on some Febreze, and leave the doors and boot open until it dries. I'll also bet some of the odor is in the headliner. Do not spray it with and thing. the felt will loosen form the backing. Solution? A second shot of febreze on the seats, and close up the car. This should allow it to kill some of the odor without harming the headliner.
Febreze Auto Clean is sold in the auto detailing section. It also kills the ubiquitous "french fry" odor.

Speedracer

Veteran Member
I think I've got it!! This afternoon I pulled out EVERYTHING. Under the spare tire, there was dead grass, stuck as if it had been deposited there by water and stayed behind when the water receded. A closer look in the spare tire well revealed a small drain hole with a plastic restrictor snapped into it. With all the rain we've had lately, I guess that part of the car was flooded out. I sealed that drain hole with some RTV silicone. Everything is clean now so hopefully it's fixed. Hope this helps some one else with similar problems.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
Good to get at that! rust trap!

Friend found a dead bird in the backseat of his car(under junk) who knows how it got there!!!