Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Is that a factory colour?
i think so, guy i bought it from had it since december 96' and 10k miles, seems to be original very worn paint ... i have seen a very few T100's with the same black/gold paint scheme

just realized i assumed you're asking about the black truck but the blue truck is original color also, that color was only available in the first few years of the tacoma

Last edited:

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
i think so, guy i bought it from had it since december 96' and 10k miles, seems to be original very worn paint ... i have seen a very few T100's with the same black/gold paint scheme

just realized i assumed you're asking about the black truck but the blue truck is original color also, that color was only available in the first few years of the tacoma
I've never seen either a light blue one or a two-tone black one! I just noticed it was also gold.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
almost exclusively fourth .... about 3k rpm @ 70 ... fifth is just too much for over double the weight towing unless i'm on flat ground... fourth is also the stongest gear and generates much less heat under constant load
Thats just about perfect. I notice if I am hauling and run right at or above 3k rpm my egts drop a little and the motor just sounds a little better. But I need to get the gear swap done so its in a more usable and speed limit friendly range.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thats just about perfect. I notice if I am hauling and run right at or above 3k rpm my egts drop a little and the motor just sounds a little better. But I need to get the gear swap done so its in a more usable and speed limit friendly range.
yep, i went from 3:59's to 4:10's and truck was much happier afterward ... are you going with 4:30's ?

Last edited:

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
yep, i went from 3:59's to 4:10's and truck was much happier afterward ... are you going with 4:30's ?
going 4.56 as there are no 4.30s for the dodge 9.25 rear. It will be fine though as it puts 4th gear towing @3300rpm at 70mph.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
going 4.56 as there are no 4.30s for the dodge 9.25 rear. It will be fine though as it puts 4th gear towing @3300rpm at 70mph.
you won't regret it, wishing i had 4:30's or a lower first... taking off with a load can be tricky ... on steep inclines i have started out in low range and shifted into high range once rolling ... synchronized t-cases rock :)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
AL bumper

beginnings of the 100th birthday present, an all aluminum plate winch bumper, there will be a rear wraparound to match with built in air tanks ... my buddy Geoff is doing the fab work and using my welder ... i've actually put about 108k on the truck since swapping so i'm a little late with the "gift"

it's actually upside down in these pics... it'll have two D ring tow points and a pair of wrangler projector fogs with amber halos for signal lights ... gonna powder coat satin black

Last edited:

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Good looking start to the bumper! How thick is the plate that the winch is going to mount to?

Also wondering - did you make you mesh grill yourself or what's the story? I feel like my stock grill bars are blocking a good amount of my IC.

Finally- whatchya doing with another taco? Is it getting swapped?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Good looking start to the bumper! How thick is the plate that the winch is going to mount to?

Also wondering - did you make you mesh grill yourself or what's the story? I feel like my stock grill bars are blocking a good amount of my IC.

Finally- whatchya doing with another taco? Is it getting swapped?
sorry for the slow response, not checking the thread much ... plate is not very thick but it's backed up by 3/4" aluminum at the winch mount points and ties directly to the bumper mounts... the grille is universal mesh cut to fit into the stock taco grille frame... probably just gonna flip the new taco but it's current purpose is a playing mock up base for the new aluminum bumpers, my buddy had my TDI taco for two months without much done on the bumpers... i can be without the black truck but i need my TDI powered coma ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

very impressed at how well the MB OM613 3.2 CDI is packaged, all the sensors (aside from the wide band), fuel filter, and the air box are bolted to the engine ! ... the ECM short plug body side interface loom has maybe two dozen wires... long plug (ecm closely resembles an edc16/17) just feeds the engine, no errant wires to tie in... also has a GT23 VNT turbo ... engine is rated @ 201hp and 369 tq but i've read they actually put out closer to 225 !

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
this is the truck i hauled back from augusta right before the eclipse

this is one of those vehicles where you ask yourself WTH was i thinking ?!?! ... it leaked from nearly every engine gasket and seal, needed trans solenoids, interior was absolutely disgusting, seats and carpet were trashed, struts were shot... auto floor shifter was completely worn out from the guy shifting manually for nearly a decade, needed
a fender, grille, marker lights and bumper from a light collision, had to replace all door handles inner and outer, replaced complete lock set ... on and on and on... paid too much for the truck but i'll prob at least get my money back out (barely) ... but again, zero rot southern truck... labor of love... ohhh also installed first gen tundra TRD 4x4 front coils and struts... these are the factory bilstein HD's ... hands down the best 1st gen taco leveling "kit" you can get for the money... i paid $140 shipped from a tampa salvage yard, took about thirty minutes to install and that included swapping in the smaller diameter taco strut hats... rides and drives phenomenal now ... perfect firmness with about 1.5" lift in front... but the thing is a f'ing DOG ! the 3rz/auto is NOT happy with the 265/70-17's on fj cruiser steelies... it needs a diesel BAD

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Nice score on the om613. Alot cheaper than that cummins Repower 2.8 going on sale friday. :cool:
that is a badass motor that only motor trend guys can afford :D ... i've been watching "dirt every day" and love that jeep ... didn't they say around a $10k price point ? ... i got lucky on the 613... it showed up yesterday at lkq pyp in raleigh and i was on the fence about getting it until the branch manager walked by and i inquired about the car... she said it drove in but the guy didn't trust it as it had failed to start on occassion and he didn't want to hassle with it because he and his daughter were moving down to GA in a few days... some people and their money :rolleyes:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
yea there selling 500 units Friday only on the website at $8999. Not bad actually with everything that comes with it.

BTW check out http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/ for OM6xx info if you didnt already know.
and i bet they'll sell out in short order... it's a nice setup with lots of room for more umph ... thanks for the link, i'll check it out now that i'm heading toward the dark side of diesel

dlbarb

TDI
none
Jim

what is the deal you going to Augusta and not stopping in Newberry to say hello?

dlbarb

TDI
none
All good

Doing well... will give you a call later to discuss my next TDI venture.

Cheers!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

field of dreams, broken and otherwise ... the 08' f450 has a broken 6.4 (no surprises there) ... the green jetta is "retired" with 571,111 miles, the gutted aviator is a donor for my 69' fastback project

Reh5108

TDI
None yet
Hi Jimbote, I'm hoping to get started on a BHW swap into my 04 Tacoma this winter. A big concern I have is the diff to oil pan clearance. I saw the notch you made in the pan but the other pics of what I think of it being installed don't work because of the whole photobucket fiasco. Any chance you could repost them?