Premium Diesel Map

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
biggrey said:
The "Freedom" stations in MN and elsewhere in the Midwest claim "Premium Diesel".

www.premiumdiesel.com/product
Unfortunately, based on their availability map, their Performance Gold Diesel Plus is only available at a handful of locations nationwide, and all but one of those are labeled as "Distributor" rather than "Retailer", so I am not sure if you can just drop in and fill up.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Purvis Brothers in Mars, PA (http://www.twinwillows.com/motor.html) has sold true premium diesel about since dirt was invented. That-there is tractor pull country...anywhere there's a buncha farmers who pass the cold winter months workin in their shops on their pullin' tractors gettin ready for next year's county fairs you can usually find somebody who sells 'em premium diesel (at a premium price). If you want to find a true premium diesel distributor, go to your county or state fair this fall, attend the tractor pull competition, and ask one of the local drivers where he gets his premium. You can find out where pulls are scheduled by going to the National Tractor Pullers Association web site.

And while yer in Mars fillin' up, try the sausage gravy and biscuits at Susie-Q's. Sweet Baby Jeezus that's good eatin'. Tell the boys in the corner booth the Doc says howdy.

BTW: anyone on this board who has never attended a tractor pull should run, not walk, to do so. What a hoot. Heavily modified diesel tractors bragging about 3,000 HP, usually anywhere from dual to quad turbos, flame and soot shootin' out the stack like the jaws of Hell, and all competing to drag a 80,000 lb. sled about 300 feet. Keeping the tractor on the ground is usually the biggest challenge. I like what one driver in this video says: "Its the best 12 seconds you'll ever have." I tend to root for the guys with big outward-bulging dents in their hoods, where an engine has recently blown to smithereens at about 6K RPM. Just be sure to take a respirator and ear plugs with you...the noise and the smoke are freakin' unbelievable. The ultimate diesel orgasm.

Last edited:

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
DoctorDawg said:
Purvis Brothers in Mars, PA (http://www.twinwillows.com/motor.html) has sold true premium diesel about since dirt was invented. That-there is tractor pull country...anywhere there's a buncha farmers who pass the cold winter months workin in their shops on their pullin' tractors gettin ready for next year's county fairs you can usually find somebody who sells 'em premium diesel (at a premium price). If you want to find a true premium diesel distributor, go to your county or state fair this fall, attend the tractor pull competition, and ask one of the local drivers where he gets his premium. You can find out where pulls are scheduled by going to the National Tractor Pullers Association web site.

And while yer in Mars fillin' up, try the sausage gravy and biscuits at Susie-Q's. Sweet Baby Jeezus that's good eatin'. Tell the boys in the corner booth the Doc says howdy.

BTW: anyone on this board who has never attended a tractor pull should run, not walk, to do so. What a hoot. Heavily modified diesel tractors bragging about 3,000 HP, usually anywhere from dual to quad turbos, flame and soot shootin' out the stack like the jaws of Hell, and all competing to drag a 80,000 lb. sled about 300 feet. Keeping the tractor on the ground is usually the biggest challenge. I like what one driver in this video says: "Its the best 12 seconds you'll ever have." I tend to root for the guys with big outward-bulging dents in their hoods, where an engine has recently blown to smithereens at about 6K RPM. Just be sure to take a respirator and ear plugs with you...the noise and the smoke are freakin' unbelievable. The ultimate diesel orgasm.
I've added it to the map. Have you filled up there and/or talked with the owners about cetane number, etc?

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat GLS TDI traded in, 2004 Golf GLS, 2004 Passat GLS Sold in Nov. 2012
An old Amoco Station Now BP with Premium Diesel

Hi Pogopop77,
There are BP stations all up Rt 1 (Baltimore Blvd.) from College Park to Laurel but the best it at 10901 Baltimore Blvd (Rt. 1) in Beltsville, MD. It is marked 47 cetane on the pump and it is the old Amoco power plus diesel or something like that. None of the other BP's have a cetane number listed and usually costs more than this station! :eek: I will get a picture of the pump for you to add to your site. This fuel is the real deal I have noticed a big difference between this fuel and other cheap diesel I have run from tank to tank, less smoke more power and the MPG's at the end of the tank are always higher. If you put Power service in with this fuel you've got one happy TDI.:)

Take care,

Last edited:

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
pogopop77 said:
I've added it to the map. Have you filled up there and/or talked with the owners about cetane number, etc?
I last filled up there several years ago, before we moved out of PA. IIRC, at that time the cetane was 50(?). I can't say what it is today, but Purvis has my confidence...they do their own blending, and have a small specialty in racing fuels.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
97pssat04golfTDIs said:
Hi Pogopop77,
There are BP stations all up Rt 1 (Baltimore Blvd.) from College Park to Laurel but the best it at 10901 Baltimore Blvd (Rt. 1) in Beltsville, MD. It is marked 47 cetane on the pump and it is the old Amoco power plus diesel or something like that. None of the other BP's have a cetane number listed and usually costs more than this station! :eek: I will get a picture of the pump for you to add to your site. This fuel is the real deal I have noticed a big difference between this fuel and other cheap diesel I have run from tank to tank, less smoke more power and the MPG's at the end of the tank are always higher. If you put Power service in with this fuel you've got one happy TDI.:)

Take care,
Added it to the list. Grab a pump image next time you're there :)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Ahh, okay that one is way down there. Here are the stations I have been to and my experience.

8810 WASHINGTON BLVD
JESSUP 20794
Tel: 301-498-8753
Was labeled as power blend, they changed the pumps and removed the power blend labeling and the pumps just read 'diesel', later after that they put a sticker that says 'not a BP product'.

311 WASHINGTON BLVD
LAUREL 20707
Tel: 301-725-2503
This one had powerblend, then they had a fire and were closed for several months, then opened and the power-blend stickers were removed and they just said 'diesel'. Later on, they added stickers that say 'Premier Diesel'. I question the quality of this fuel, the last couple of times I used it my mileage dropped and performance suffered.

13701 WASHINGTON BLV
LAUREL 20707
Tel: 301-776-9388
Had power blend labels, then was changed to the 'premier diesel' labels.

None of these stations have minimum cetane ratings on the pumps.

One thing I suspect happened is that last summer when the diesel prices spiked, they started using lower quality fuel to keep their prices competitive....I have no proof to backup that claim though.

I have gone back to using the first station on the list. Mainly because it is easy to get into and out of and they have a separate island with heavy truck traffic...meaning of course fresh fuel.

Last edited:

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Good MD crew in here. I usually fill up at the shells in the area because they have great turnover rates.

Shell in whiteplains (marshall corner and 301) VanGo buses fill up there

Shell in laplata (hawthorn and 301) Fire Station 1, 10, 58, 51, and 15 fill there

Shell in waldorf east (route 5 and st.charles parkway) Chaney dump trucks fill there.

All of them carry 45 minimum. I just like that fact that I know they have fresh diesel every time I go. I always use PowerService when I fill just to make sure.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
no-blue-screen said:
Ahh, okay that one is way down there. Here are the stations I have been to and my experience.

8810 WASHINGTON BLVD
JESSUP 20794
Tel: 301-498-8753
Was labeled as power blend, they changed the pumps and removed the power blend labeling and the pumps just read 'diesel', later after that they put a sticker that says 'not a BP product'.

311 WASHINGTON BLVD
LAUREL 20707
Tel: 301-725-2503
This one had powerblend, then they had a fire and were closed for several months, then opened and the power-blend stickers were removed and they just said 'diesel'. Later on, they added stickers that say 'Premier Diesel'. I question the quality of this fuel, the last couple of times I used it my mileage dropped and performance suffered.

13701 WASHINGTON BLV
LAUREL 20707
Tel: 301-776-9388
Had power blend labels, then was changed to the 'premier diesel' labels.

None of these stations have minimum cetane ratings on the pumps.

One thing I suspect happened is that last summer when the diesel prices spiked, they started using lower quality fuel to keep their prices competitive....I have no proof to backup that claim though.

I have gone back to using the first station on the list. Mainly because it is easy to get into and out of and they have a separate island with heavy truck traffic...meaning of course fresh fuel.
I've removed the Laurel BP from the list. I suspect you are correct. Some or all of those stations may have carried a higher grade fuel at one time, and may still do so periodically, but you can't count on it.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
mdfirefighter said:
Good MD crew in here. I usually fill up at the shells in the area because they have great turnover rates.

Shell in whiteplains (marshall corner and 301) VanGo buses fill up there

Shell in laplata (hawthorn and 301) Fire Station 1, 10, 58, 51, and 15 fill there

Shell in waldorf east (route 5 and st.charles parkway) Chaney dump trucks fill there.

All of them carry 45 minimum. I just like that fact that I know they have fresh diesel every time I go. I always use PowerService when I fill just to make sure.
Fresh fuel is good, but how do you know they are 45 minimum? I know the Shell at Rt. 5 and St. Charles Pkwy is not labeled (or wasn't as of a few weeks ago). Glad to hear from a local!

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
pogopop77 said:
I've removed the Laurel BP from the list. I suspect you are correct. Some or all of those stations may have carried a higher grade fuel at one time, and may still do so periodically, but you can't count on it.
I am going to call BP back today to follow up with them. I wrote them a letter about 1.5 months ago complaining about this. I was told that the stickers should not be there unless they are carrying the premium fuel.

Think about it, all they have to do is get one batch of the good stuff and they get the stickers....after that they can get whatever....and the unsuspecting consumer who thinks he/she is getting a premium fuel is actually getting something lower quality. I can tell almost instantly because my truck runs like crap on junk fuel. BP initially told me that the jobber is supposed to remove the stickers if they aren't putting that product in the tanks. The point of my call was not to get anyone in trouble, but to make a point about the newer diesels and the fact that they are more sensitive to fuel quality. I will post what I find out.

Last edited:

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
pogopop77 said:
Fresh fuel is good, but how do you know they are 45 minimum? I know the Shell at Rt. 5 and St. Charles Pkwy is not labeled (or wasn't as of a few weeks ago). Glad to hear from a local!
Odd, I thought there had been a label there. The other two I KNOW are labeled. I would not go so far to assume they are from the same stock, but I'll check the pump next time I'm there.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Noticed last week that the BP just down from my house had a standalone pump with Amoco Premier Diesel (w/o centane sticker). Called BP last Friday to see if they could verify that the store was in fact selling the premier fuel. They said probably not, but they'd like to contact the owner to verify so I gavce them their number. This morning on my way to work I noticed the stickers had been removed from the pump.:(

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
according to this:

http://www.certifiedlabs.com/certified/viewArticle.asp?country=USA&countryName=United+States&language_id=4&language=English&cat_id=10&cat_desc=What's+New

47 is the minimum cetaine allowable since the ULSD runes came on board.

So 47 should be the minimum we ever find.. NOt the best we find.
TDIMOFO

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
Fwiw, There's a sticker "mobil diesel extra" on one of the local pumps.
So I googled and found this:

Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel No. 2

Our Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel No. 2 was formulated to be used by any diesel-fueled vehicle on the road today – including yours. Compared to the No. 1-D grade, our Low Sulfur Diesel No. 2 provides higher fuel economy, power, flash point, viscosity and lubricity for your vehicle.

Diesel Extra
Compared to the performance of our Low Sulfur Diesel No. 2, Mobil Diesel Extra contains a multifunctional additive package that provides:
  • A "Superior" rating on Cummins L-10 detergency test
  • 30% Improved Lubricity
  • Up to 2.5% Fuel Economy Improvement

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
TDIMOFO said:
according to this:

http://www.certifiedlabs.com/certified/viewArticle.asp?country=USA&countryName=United+States&language_id=4&language=English&cat_id=10&cat_desc=What's+New

47 is the minimum cetaine allowable since the ULSD runes came on board.

So 47 should be the minimum we ever find.. NOt the best we find.
TDIMOFO
I think this information is incorrect. Perhaps at one point that was proposed, but everything I have read suggests that 40 cetane is still the minimum, even on ULSD fuel. Most of the pumps I see labeled are either 40 or 42, and several of those stations are quite new, so it's not just old stickers.

Last edited:

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Just as an FYI: I think I can give averdict on the 55 cetane premium diesel I use now, I've done about 3000Km (2000 mile-ish) on highway and city driving.

- I get about 5% better fuel economy in a grand average. I regularily get >60mpg on highway now, even with aircon on.
- It costs about 10% more than regular diesel (49 cetane over here).
- Engine is quieter and smoother. I can feel the difference at low rpms in city (smoothness, turbo lag seems shorter), and at high load (sound and vibration).
- Not significantly more torque, but seems more willing to go to high rpm, so maybe a bit more usable power.
- Significantly less soot. I can barely get any soot even if I try now. Floor at 1500rpm and barely a trace behind, and that only for a second or so.

So overall, even if not strictly cost-effective, I'll continue using it for the benefit of driving pleasure.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
97pssat04golfTDIs said:
Hi Pogopop77,

Take care,
I tried the Beltsville BP, and I've got a picture of the pump on the the map now. No question -- it's high grade stuff. I'm already averaging a couple mpg better than usual and the engine is running smooth. Interestingly though, it's labeled as "Not a BP product". Thanks for the info!

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
hmm...same exact label as on the pumps in Jessup. I have gone back to fueling up there now and the truck seems to be running a little better.

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
Amoco not BP Take a Picture of the other Side

pogopop77 said:
I tried the Beltsville BP, and I've got a picture of the pump on the the map now. No question -- it's high grade stuff. I'm already averaging a couple mpg better than usual and the engine is running smooth. Interestingly though, it's labeled as "Not a BP product". Thanks for the info!
If you take a picture of the other side of that pump you will see the original labeling "Amoco Power service" or something like that, I can't remember exactly what it is but this is my go to station when I want to treat the TDI or before I go to the annual drag day GTG. Glad you like it.

Take care

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
no-blue-screen said:
hmm...same exact label as on the pumps in Jessup. I have gone back to fueling up there now and the truck seems to be running a little better.
But the cetane is not labeled on that pump, correct? The Beltsville one is labeled 47 cetane.

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Black/Black, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof
BP Ultimate - UK

I was doing some searching just looking for non bio diesel for our Illinois thread and found this link to BP ultimate -UK. Do't know if it's been posted here or not (didn't see it in a search) Note that this information is for the UK and may not apply to USA at all. I think they are saying that in the UK the Ultimate has a cetane of 55 and the standard stuff is 'only' 51. Thought that you would be interested anyway.
BP Ultimate - higher cetane
About half way down the page there is a quicktime movie demonstrating BP ultimate high cetane in a VW Touareg TDI. I thought it was pretty interesting.
FWIW, I did request from BP information as to where anyone could find this elusive product in the USA. I'll let you know if I get a response other than move to the UK.

Last edited:

siegman

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagon
Premium Diesel Mackinaw City, MI

I filled up with premium diesel in Mackinaw City, Michigan at:

Valot's Citgo Services‎ - more info »
14992 N Mackinaw Hwy, Mackinaw City, MI‎ - (231) 436-5512‎
Exit 337 off I-75

They have standard and premium diesel at the pump.

I have a new 2009 Jetta TDI wagon. This was the first tank of premium diesel I used and I noticed a significant improvement in mileage.

I will be looking for premium diesel from now on.

I will send a photograph of the pump when I revisit the station in a few weeks.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
siegman said:
I filled up with premium diesel in Mackinaw City, Michigan at:

Valot's Citgo Services‎ - more info »
14992 N Mackinaw Hwy, Mackinaw City, MI‎ - (231) 436-5512‎
Exit 337 off I-75

They have standard and premium diesel at the pump.

I have a new 2009 Jetta TDI wagon. This was the first tank of premium diesel I used and I noticed a significant improvement in mileage.

I will be looking for premium diesel from now on.

I will send a photograph of the pump when I revisit the station in a few weeks.
Was the cetane number on the pump? If not, when you are there again, see if you can confirm the cetane information. Quite often the clerks won't know, but if the owner is there, you might get some useful info. I've added it to the map.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The Shell right off 95 in Ashland, Va has premium diesel. The cetane sticker says 40, so I guess it's premium because of extra additives.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
El Dobro said:
The Shell right off 95 in Ashland, Va has premium diesel. The cetane sticker says 40, so I guess it's premium because of extra additives.
Have you actually seen any improvement in engine performance (mileage or noise) when using their fuel? Unfortunately the label "Premium Diesel" by itself doesn't mean a lot.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The only difference I really noticed was that my wallet got a little lighter after going there. I also use Gulf, Citgo and Hess and haven't noticed any real difference.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
El Dobro said:
The only difference I really noticed was that my wallet got a little lighter after going there. I also use Gulf, Citgo and Hess and haven't noticed any real difference.
It's probably just standard 40 cetane.

In 2007 and later diesel vehicles that are designed for ULSD, I believe you can notice a difference in performance when using higher cetane fuel (1-2 mpg improvement and noticeably smoother engine performance). I prefer a confirmation from a station owner or a posted cetane rating, though :)

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
BP / Amoco Power Blend Beltsville, MD

97pssat04golfTDIs said:
If you take a picture of the other side of that pump you will see the original labeling "Amoco Power service" or something like that, I can't remember exactly what it is but this is my go to station when I want to treat the TDI or before I go to the annual drag day GTG. Glad you like it.

Take care
Hi pogopop77,
Here is a picture of the other side of the BP in Beltsville, MD which shows it is actually "Amoco Power Blend." All of the local Amoco stations were relabeled apx a year ago after Amoco was bought by BP. So if you are getting BP Diesel it most likely is not the Premium. I think I will try another BP just to see if it looks the same as this BP's. Sorry about the large picture you may need to resize this for the map.

Take care,