Bringing it to 0. 2006 Jetta TDI

BPatrick

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hello, I recently bought a 2006 Jetta TDI with 200,000 miles on it. It was well taken care of with all the records and what not but I am a stickler and want to know exactly when everything is done. Tomorrow I plan on washing the engine and going through and tightening anything i can find thats loose, changing fuel, air, and oil filters (with an oil change), bleeding the breaks and general maintenance. I am new to TDI's (this is actually only my second ever car my first being a 1988 Mazda b2200 so its a bit of a step up).

My question is what else should I do while im in there? Anything I should check/change/tighten? Any general tips for keeping this 200,000 mile car in tip top?

Thanks in advance.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
There should not be any bolts loose. Many of the bolts in the engine and suspension are torque to yield bolts, they require a certain torque then additional rotation (like 45/90/180 degrees), and should not be reused. So if they are loose, they should be replaced. You can read threads where people have replaced them and people have not.
Search and read through the threads for the MK5 models and BRM engines for many details and gotchas.

For example, if you have a 5sp manual with the BRM engine, the trans is rotated such that the fill hole is lower than a 90 degree angle.
If you drain your transmission fluid and use the fill hole to fill it back up, you will be short 1/2 or 1 qt, which will then burn up your transmission. You need to fill using the fill hole till fluid runs out, install the plug, then fill the remaining amount through the reverse switch hole. When draining the transmission, measure the amount drained, and as part of the drain process, you will need to set the transmission in the service setting (there is a plastic lever that is pushed in and turned, when the gear selector is in a certain position) and you will also need to remove an additional plug for gear selection drain.

If it is an automatic DSG transmission, there is a riser in the drain plug to ensure the proper fluid level when the fluid is at a certain temperature. There are threads and videos on how to drain and fill (either fill using the special tool, or fill through the transmission filter), and then how to check the fluid level.
At 200K, you should also check the suspension, if not replaced, the shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints, shock bushings, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and drop links, all are due for replacing.

Check the battery, is it the proper size? Google TDI batteries for an entertaining discussion. Diesels need batteries with Amp Hour reserve due to the electrical loads of the glow plugs (when the weather turns cold/very cold), CCA ratings are not as important as the Ah rating. If and when you need a battery, the dealer will typically have a decent price (from what I have found), and it will have the correct Ah rating.

Also Google BRM Oil for another long discussion. The BRMs have lifter/cam wear issues using the factory speced oil (5W30). Many people (including me), use 5W40 Mobil 1/Rotella diesel oil. At 200K, your cam and lifters had to have been replaced?

Google replacing the cabin filter, if you are replacing filters, it is behind the glove box, you get to it from the access cover above the passenger footwell.

BPatrick

TDI
2006 Jetta
At 200K, you should also check the suspension, if not replaced, the shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints, shock bushings, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and drop links, all are due for replacing.
I do not believe the suspension has been done but when the car handles bumps and turns fine and when compress springs up once and does not bounce down again. Its not squeaky or creaky. Does it hurt to wait for it to actually go bad?

The timing belt was done 40k ago and at the same time they had the mechanic inspect the lifters and cam and said they looked good. I was planning on running till it inevitably wore out or the next time I do the TB and WP whichever comes first. Should be done every 80k yeah? Is this a bad idea?

I also ordered a Air Heater Vent Recirculator which has failed and creeks behind the glove compartment. Cabin filter should be easy to change at the same time? I'll look up a video.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Both mine 2006 approaching 270K with original suspension and still good.
I think you should be Ok with t/belt next 40k , and yes every 80k on that car. One thing I would suggest what I always do on any cars with Cartage fuel filetr, is to remove complete metal piece and wash it with carb cleaner very good and blow/dry with air compressor .

Is it manual or DGS transmission?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The timing belt was done 40k ago and at the same time they had the mechanic inspect the lifters and cam and said they looked good. I was planning on running till it inevitably wore out or the next time I do the TB and WP whichever comes first. Should be done every 80k yeah? Is this a bad idea?
If the cam and lifters look good, and the cam chamfer edge is not worn down (edge of cam should not be sharp), then I would not replace the cam prematurely. Replace when worn.

BPatrick

TDI
2006 Jetta
If the cam and lifters look good, and the cam chamfer edge is not worn down (edge of cam should not be sharp), then I would not replace the cam prematurely. Replace when worn.
Do you think this is something I can accurately judge on my own? Or should I take it somewhere to get it inspected.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
how are you washing the motor? mines filthy?

I should mention I have a bad habit of going too close with the pressure washer.... it just cleans so damn good at 1" away!!!!! lol

BPatrick

TDI
2006 Jetta
how are you washing the motor? mines filthy?

I should mention I have a bad habit of going too close with the pressure washer.... it just cleans so damn good at 1" away!!!!! lol

I just took de-greaser and a brush and scrubbed it down and used a hose to rinse the rest off

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Do you think this is something I can accurately judge on my own? Or should I take it somewhere to get it inspected.
Google "BRM camshaft wear images"

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Just drive 5k with new oil and send it to lab and you will know how good/bad is it .
I never had to open any of PD to inspect anything. with number from Lab I know exactly where is it and how fast needs to be done.It is not much $30 .
This is what I use and many of this forum:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Just drive 5k with new oil and send it to lab and you will know how good/bad is it .
I never had to open any of PD to inspect anything. with number from Lab I know exactly where is it and how fast needs to be done.It is not much $30 .
This is what I use and many of this forum:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

He just bought the car recently. You say take a 5K mile sample. How does that let him know how much metal is missing prior to the test? Just starting to wear the lobes?, 1/4" missing from the lobe tips? Leftovers from the previous camshaft? Could be a little or a lot. Might tell you if you can live with it a little while longer.

Just look. It's not a lot of work to remove the valve cover.

If there is any scuffing on the back side of the cam lobes it is in the process of being destroyed. Check to see if the galley plugs are still in place on the rocker shafts, too.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
He just bought the car recently. You say take a 5K mile sample. How does that let him know how much metal is missing prior to the test? Just starting to wear the lobes?, 1/4" missing from the lobe tips? Leftovers from the previous camshaft? Could be a little or a lot. Might tell you if you can live with it a little while longer.

Just look. It's not a lot of work to remove the valve cover.

If there is any scuffing on the back side of the cam lobes it is in the process of being destroyed. Check to see if the galley plugs are still in place on the rocker shafts, too.
40K ago they were inspected and looked OK, so I think other 5k will not make difference. Or find out how many miles has on current oil ,if was not chnage , and possible send that to lab.

Last edited: