My Car Stinks. Cabin Odor

TomatoPie

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 Gray
I'm driving a 2005 Passat TDI. It's been a great runner for 120k. Still runs great but recently had a major oil leak and it now burns a little too.

For a few months, there has been a significant cabin odor and I THINK it is coming through the vents. It really is not so much a stink as a curious aroma. Although my daughter said it smells like cigarettes and stale peanuts, I think it smells more like an auto parts store, mixed with a little engine compartment aroma and cleaning products.

Significant facts from BEFORE the smell arose:
  • Maybe 6 months ago, a mechanic put a coconut-scented air freshener (flat tree that usually hangs from your mirror) in with a new cabin filter. I enjoyed the scent, and it gradually faded.
  • Maybe 4 months ago, I had a LOT of water dripping at my feet. Mat was soaked. I discovered a black rubber tube inside the door jamb. I massaged it and a lot of water flowed out. No more water has dripped into the cabin. I got rid of the floor mat but the interior carpet was wet for a few days.
  • About three months ago, I took it in for an oil leak. Engine oil had been leaking but was caught in a pan and blowing all over the engine. That has been fixed.
About two months ago, I replaced the cabin filter and removed the coconut scented tree.

I am at a loss. The smell is negligible when the windows are down but gets pretty strong when all windows closed.

Theories? I searched the other cabin odor threads and most have a putrid smell. Mine is odd, but not awful.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Once you remove the cause of any on-going pollution or water coming into the interior, purchase a small can of Dakota Odor Bomb. It will eliminate the smell. It is available in a large number of scents, too.