Diesel Fumes in Cabin?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hey Guys,

While driving in the storm last night, I really started to notice Diesel Exhaust Fumes in my cabin while moving at over 50 kph. I didn't try playing with the ventilation (it was snowing...) but I think it was coming through there.

I don't have any strange exhaust noise, so I don't think there's a leak. Pollen Filter is newish. Only other clue is that I get a P0402 (excessive EGR flow) which I attribute to a weak MAF (have already done a search on here)

Any had this before? I've got a nasty cold right now, and I really wasn't loving the smell....

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Leaking gas cooler,EGR valve-getting sucked into cabin air filter,which is very close to the EGR.Just thinking outloud!

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
i'm thinking it might be something under the hood. I remember my GF's mechanic had poured oil in her car and she was getting some nasty smells in there too. What had happened was that he forgot to put the oil cap back on and she was driving without and oil cap for.. probably a week. She finally told me and i went to look and saw it. There was oil all over the place. So i filled her up, put the cap back on (which was sitting by the fender still, held down by the hood) and tried to clean up the oil. Basically, the oil was burning on the outside of the engine. So.. maybe there's some spillage under the hood and now it's heating up and evapourating and coming through the firewall. Take a check and look for some leaks, that might be it.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
daniel mad - I'm not really smelling burnt oil - it's really diesel exhuast

Jason - any idea how I can confirm it? I stuck my head there yesterday and didn't see/hear anything abnormal

Omega - I'll take a look, but the cat/downpipe assy is newish (like 3 months maybe?) and the rest of the system was clean when it was installed

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
...yeah, that's true - I hadn't thought of that.... it also occurs to me that my hatch doesn't seal well anymore, especially on the side when my tail light got hit.... I think you may have hit the nail on the head!

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
I think its your Flex Pipe leaking or as someone else pointed out cracked EGR Cooler, have you checked your coolant level lately? If your coolant is low, it might be EGR. I know this is more of an issue with PDs early 2004 model year cars and may not be a case with ALH but still no harm checking.

I had this same problem on my 2004 Golf when I blew the flex pipe, replaced the pipe, smell gone.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
There is also those wonderful rubber vent thingys in the back of the trunk down low behind the wheels. Maybe one got messed up when you got hit?

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
If it were the flex pipe it would smell when you sit still like mine. It seems odd that you only smell it when moving. It very much could be a back draft into the car from the hatch.

In response to Bob_F... Who do you see when your hatch doesn't seal well?? ;)

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
if I enhale enough of those fumes, I'll see Jesus in a Santa Costume dancing a waltz!

Now seriously - i'm going to take at the back of the car when it's warmer - see if I can seal it up a bit better until the repairs are done.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
TheTDIWagonGuy said:
If it were the flex pipe it would smell when you sit still like mine. It seems odd that you only smell it when moving. It very much could be a back draft into the car from the hatch.

In response to Bob_F... Who do you see when your hatch doesn't seal well?? ;)
Proctologist:)