Drove my Malone Stage 4, 17/22 PD100 today...

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Really didn't get on it to hard, it's a little laggy. Certainlly drivable.

EDIT Nov 23, 2010: Not laggy, just a little softer than stock. l;aggy is not really the right word.

Once I got up to full temp and punched it the FMIC hose blew off.UGH! I knew that was going to happen.

I'm running a 1.8T pancake pipe, with the IDparts lower hose. I didn't buy the idparts lower pipe because I already had the 1.8T pancake pipe. Mistake. The hose is 2.5 inches and the input on the pancake pipe is ~2.0 inches. I tried building it up with a 2 inch hose and sliding the 2.5 hose over it, but it blew off, I kinda figured it would. Soon as it did, I knew what happened..

EDIT 11/22/2010: Fixed my IC Hose problem, welded a 2.5 inlet on the stock pancake pipe.

Drove the car about 30 miles, Car has a lot more low end, Mark sent me a new tune to fix another problem, and it seemed to help the low end also. Over all I'm prettty happy, but later I will get larger injectors, a better intake and a better clutch.

Right now I can slip the stock clutch if I get on it hard in fifth.

Summary of Mods: Gutted stock PD100 intake, Ebay FMIC kit, Idparts lower turbo hose with 1.8T pancake pipe.17/22 Turbo from Idparts, 3 bar map from idparts. 2.5 down pipe and 2.5 open exhaust. malone Stage 4 tune.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Here's some pictures of my FMIC, it's the 200 dollar ebay set up, with a 1.8t pancake pipe

Here's the stock pipe compared to the 1.8t piece. The 1.8T piece is stainless and has a lot more volume.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Here is the front shot, I covered the front bumper with blue painters tape to keep it from getting nicked. be prepared to take it on and off a lot while fitting. It also helps to get the IC as close to radiator as possible. No cutting on the crash bar, thank to Eddie's post. i painted the "TDI" on the front of the FMIC. kinda like it.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hre's a close up of the pancake pipe to ebay FMIC union. I had to buy a 45 degree silicon fitting. the connection on the left on the pancake pipe is what blew off. If you do this, better off just get the complete idparts lower IC kit.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Here's the finish product. The car is dirty.

Not too bad. I need to put the grill and lower grills back in.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
It was bone stock when I started.

It's not bad, really have not driven but 5 miles or so.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hmmmm, well, I'm more used to my ALH, which seems to have more low end torque.

Not really complaining, just think this car is different.

I have to figure out the how to keep the hose on before I drive it again.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Hmmmm, well, I'm more used to my ALH, which seems to have more low end torque.

Not really complaining, just think this car is different.

I have to figure out the how to keep the hose on before I drive it again.
Your ALH has a bigger turbo too though?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
No, the ALH is stock except it has a stage 1 tune.

This car with the 17/22 I just have not drove much, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

How's you car drive?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
No, the ALH is stock except it has a stage 1 tune.

This car with the 17/22 I just have not drove much, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

How's you car drive?
That's the nugget I was trying to get :D Don't expect the 17/22 to drive like a VNT-15. In higher gears, and in lower gears for best performance, keep it at 1700 to 2300 RPM. If you stray below 1700 a downshift fixes that issue then FOOM off it rockets :)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Here's a suggestion for your hose dilemna- get a stock ALH hose. It stretches over the 17/22 and looks like it will slap right on your gasser pancake pipe.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You can get a stock ALH hose but it'll have to be off a '99.5. The later cars have a clip connector at the intercooler pipe end.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm just going to have a 2.5 pipe welded to the pancake pipe, so it's 2.5 in and 2.5 out.

Or just order the right pipe from Peter.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Updated, fixed the IC hose, drove car more today. Tune and Turbo both are working great.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
im sure when he can drive it without the pipe blowing off everytime he gets some decent boost it should feel better.
what nozzles you running on that or is it a bew pd motor

Last edited:

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
Eeery, if it wasn't for the missing air compressor in the corner of that garage I swear it looks just like Whitbread's garage haha.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
It's a PD100 ( BEW)with stock injectors and Nozzles.

Ok, I drove it about 50 miles and the hose is not coming off.

Here are my impressions-

Low end torque.

Is less than a stock ALH, very slightly less than a stock BEW. My ALH always seemed to like the lower REVS better, while the BEW liked the higher revs better. After a few miles I got used to the new powerband on the modified BEW.

Just need to keep the rpms above 1700-1800 in the taller gears, which you should be doing anyway. Motor will pull from 1400-1500 in first and second, but there is a millisecond of delay as compared to stock. Again, not really the best thing to do, but sometimes in heavy traffic you might want to accelerate quickly from a slow roll.

High end power

It's a huge difference, car pulls hard to the redline and you have to pay attention or it will go past it. It's really no comparison past 2300 rpm to this with a stock BEW or ALH. The new turbo and tune just pull extremely hard.

Smoke.

I asked Mark for a Low smoke tune. There is no visible smoke at light or even medium throttle. You can drive it fairly quickly without any smoke. If you get on it hard, there is light smoke.

MPG

It's too early to tell, but I suspect that it may go up a little, simply because the car can breathe easier. Another thing I noticed is the car idles a lot smoother.

What is fast is subjective. I have an AirCooled VW that runs 12’s. To me the TDi is not fast, I’m guessing it would run a high 15, low 16 QTR mile. To guys with 11 second cars, the 12 second car is not fast.

But in the real world, the TDi has more useable power, because of it’s torque. I wanted extra power to pass on two lane roads, merge more easily in traffic, have power to get over a lane on the highway, etc. This car has plenty of power to do that, and still hopefully deliver good MPGs.

I’m really satisfied now that I got the pipe fixed, and Mark sent me two different tunes to try. He was very responsive to my problems thru email.

Only thing I would do different is I would get the dual SMIC kit from Bora instead of the Ebay FMIC kit. The ebay kit does keep the intake temps down, but it was a pain to install, and because it’s so close to the radiator, it actually heats the intake air a little at low speeds.

Cost- For me , it ended up at about $2400.00. I still need to buy a clutch at some point.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
The 17/22 isn't laggy. The OP is describing that the turbine is just bigger than the 15 and thus the peak torque moves to 2300 rpm vice 1800 rpm. My 17/22 with a FMIC isn't laggy at all. It has what I like to call "punch you in the face" turbo response :)

-edited-

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
The 17/22 isn't laggy. The OP is describing that the turbine is just bigger than the 15 and thus the peak torque moves to 2300 rpm vice 1800 rpm. My 17/22 with a FMIC isn't laggy at all. It has what I like to call "punch you in the face" throttle response :)
100% concurrence here. In 1st through 3rd you can still have good "push" at low revs, but in 4th and 5th, you better downshift.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I shouldn't have used the word laggy, just slightly softer than the stock TDi setup, certainly stronger down low than say a 4 cylinder gas car, like a Honda Civic or such.

I'm completly happy with both the tune and Turbo.:)

I think I might have given the impression that there was a big delay in power, it's not.

Is it laggy due to the fmic or the turbo and tune?

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
It would be nice to see a dyno chart. I am doing a very similar mod to yours just with the vnt 17 on a pd motor also debating the extra tt audi smic.
I have been told there isnt a big difference with the 17 and the 17/22 on a pd motor it would be nice to compare.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I wish you were close, so you could drive my car.

I think if you do not have a better Intercooler set up, that the extra air intake temps will quickly kill a lot of your extra power.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
you do have to get used to driving further up the power band with a bigger turbo . but i would have asked to max those injectors out , as im not sure stock pd 100 in jectors can make a 17/22 smoke anyway. i think you would notice a huge difference again with pd 150 injectors and a re-map