www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 18th, 2019, 05:43   #106
arazvan2002
Veteran Member

I tried to download the turbo flange drawing but link is dead. The metal flange from the picture is the final one? I suppose you removed the original actuator because you clocked the compressor housing, otherwise it should work as it is.

I don't have any words than WOW and congratulations for your conversion. How is it working with the tune?
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:16   #107
xerootg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arazvan2002 View Post
I tried to download the turbo flange drawing but link is dead. The metal flange from the picture is the final one? I suppose you removed the original actuator because you clocked the compressor housing, otherwise it should work as it is.

I don't have any words than WOW and congratulations for your conversion. How is it working with the tune?
Thanks! I updated the link, give it another try. I must have copied and pasted it wrong. The tune is just starting to take form. Malone is getting the n75 map sorted before turning anything else up. I suppose that means I'm on a baseline 136hp at the moment. That said, it is more responsive already than the gt1749va that is on my B5.5, so that is worth something.

I clocked both the exhaust and compressor. I initially used a modified adjustable actuator bracket to give myself more room for the outlet to clear the A/C compressor since I hadn't fabricated the mounting for that yet. When I replaced the turbo, I found that simply going to a non-feedback actuator on the original mount gave me enough clearance for the A/C compressor and gave me more frame clearance. I did replace the vacuum line with silicone since it is now very close to the EGR cooler.

I have also been struggling with getting my oil supply line to seal at the -4AN to M12x1.0 adapter. I used permatex 59214 because the adapter I have does not have enough of a shoulder for a crush washer. The seal has failed 3 times now, so I found an adapter with a larger shoulder so I can use a crush washer. I'll report back on this at some point.

You gotta post something about your build, there just isn't alot of gtc1549vz info out there unless your building one of the 3cyl TDIs in Europe!

In other news, I totally reworked my CAN gateway design, and PCBs are on their way now. I'll be writing that up as soon as it's functional. I built the new unit to support a Bosch combo oil pressure and temperature sensor amongst other improvements.
xerootg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:08   #108
xerootg
Veteran Member

So I drove the Jeep to work yesterday! It was about 60 miles round trip, with some interstate speeds. My, my do I still have work to do! About 5 miles out from my house, I had one of the intake track hoses fail while going uphill. I limped to the next offramp and got it all put back together, and continued my journey to work. About a mile out from my office I noticed my intake temperatures skyrocketing. So I have a couple things to work through.

After thinking about it, I think my AWIC water lines might need some work. I'm pretty sure that one of the lines is kinking, reducing flow across the cores. I was also thinking that I might need to run some sort of reservoir in addition to the recovery tank to increase the thermal mass of the whole system.

The other thing that happened, I started getting a "accelerator circuit performance" code if I coast downhill in gear. I'm fairly certain that's due to the VSS not functioning properly.

Mark Malone has been great to work with! Malone is in the middle of moving, and he (and Owain) have sill managed to get tunes out the door. I shopped around for tunes for a while, I talked to Kerma and RocketChip as well. Kerma was kind of a jerk so I went with Malone. Sorry Kerma, you should really consider not approaching potential customers as inconveniences when they want non-standard things in their tunes. They might even be willing to pay extra for your time. I don't like smearing people but this really bothered me since I was looking at spending a non-trivial amount of money. RocketChip was also great to talk to, but it came down to I needed to make a decision and Malone is closer to me.

The tune as it stands is powerful enough to cause understeer in corners in AWD if you push it! The 4.0 had to work much harder to do the same. I have a small amount of smoke and plenty of air with the gtc1549vz.

I built the second draft of my CCD to CAN gateway, its got some work yet, but here's some glamour shots!

Draft 2 of the board has some nagging layout issues, and a missed trace. Hopefully draft 3 is good, and then I'll publish the design for others to build.
Old September 21st, 2019, 12:19   #109
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Love the detail your posting in your build. Adding some volume and confirming good flow will fix your intake temp issues. And +1 for Malone tuning. They have been awesome with my odd tuning requests over the years.
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:09   #110
xerootg
Veteran Member

Hey guys! I've been commuting back and fourth to work in my swap and its been a dream! I have some updates I need to make when I have the time, but I have one major issue left, and its a doozy.

If I break 3k RPMs when the engine is cold, the engine falls completely flat, like its being defueled, and generally refuses to continue accelerating. Once its warmed up, if I break 3k, it just stumbles around 3k and continues on. The part that makes this issue interesting is that it appears that my throttle position falls to zero when this issue happens, and I don't think its the throttle going out itself, because the failure is throttle position independent. There's a pending accelerator circuit performance code, which given the behavior, isn't unexpected. Malone is scratching their head on this one. Any ideas as to what causes this shudder?

Green line is RPM, Yellow line is throttle position, and the highlighter is what I think the throttle position actually is: