Instrument cluster and heat/ac controls won't light up

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
I looked in the manual and checked fuses they're good. I read that the cigarette lighter might be a possibility. Just not sure what to look for.

The dimmer on the left of steering wheel does not respond either.

The seat warm dials also didn't light up, but I read on here somewhere if you push in the fog light knob they'll light up. That worked so I'm a third of the way on 1 of what's becoming a handful of electrical issues with the car. Thanks, Jeff

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The gray w/ blue wire is the instrument panel illumination circuit. You can check if it has power out from the headlamp switch when you turn the switch on. Normally the headlight switch (not the ring with the indicators, just the symbol on the rotary switch part) will backlight whenever the key is turned on, regardless of switch position. Does it do that?

The 5A fuse S3 (in the fuse box inside the car) feeds the dimmer switch. And from the dimmer switch it goes out to all the various places it needs to go.

So you should be able to do all your troubleshooting from the headlight switch and the dimmer switch on the left side of the dash.

Last edited:

branforddiesel

TDI
So when i turn the key on both the dimmer dial and the headlight knob are back light. Also I noticed when I start the engine the oil lamp and few other icons light up on instrument luster but then it's dark once the engine runs. I wasn't sure if the cluster panel is supposed to be dark while the engine is running. I looked for an image of one and looked like there is a at least digital MPG and engine temp icons. Also I would like to have the heating control knobs illuminated as well. Thanks, Jeff

branforddiesel

TDI
I'm adding this to this thread in hope there may be a commoon factor:

just failed emissions CT...EGR is deleted but says it passed "visual inspection-cat convert"

the problem was OBD II couldn't connect. faulty data connector/collector? I did a little digging and maybe there is connection with Cluster Panal being out? same fuse/wires?
the car has aftermarket headset, but cigarette port powers cell phone charger.

So in a nut shell I'm guessing something is wrong that isn't allowing tghe OBD II to read the computer? Thanks, Jeff

oilhammer

TDI
May be related, may not be.

I'd get a suitable scan tool on there and see what all modules are working/communicating.

And check the wires I said to check in my first post.

branforddiesel

TDI
Couple things......

If the dimmer dial and headlight knob are backlit then they both receiving power from the back, that would mean the problem could be tween the knob and the IC?

To access these I'll need to take the cover off that is under steering? Then use multimeter to test for power in between knob and IC?

I've checked fuse 3(fog lamp relay?) and fuse 11 they both work and the data connector fuse works as well which makes me wonder why the mechanics scanner couldn't get a read on anything.

In regards to scanner. I believe my issue is that there is something wrong with the car that isn't allowing the computer to be read with OBD

Thank you for your patience, Jeff

oilhammer

TDI
The generic scan tool uses a different protocol than the actual real VAG scan tool does, or at least takes a slightly different route (and there are folks here that could explain that better than I can).

But, if you had an issue in the cluster, which it is quite possible you do, a VAG specific scan tool such as VCDS could at least give you access to that side of things. There may be some issue with the CAN bus that an improper aftermarket radio installation has caused, or there could be some other problem.

Anytime I have a car with some communication problems and they have an aftermarket radio, I start by removing (or at least unplugging, however that is accomplished) said radio and see if things start working again.

VCDS will allow both VAG specific and generic scan tool access, so you can check both sides.

The lower dash cover will have to come off to get at the dimmer switch connector, yes. The headlight switch comes out without removal, though.

branforddiesel

TDI
Thank you...... I think I'll go the scanner route first, before I start taking things apart and making a bigger mess.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm real curious about the HVAC unit lights. It's like the only thing that doesn't work on my recently purchased 2003 NB

oilhammer

TDI
On the Golf/Jetta/Passats, the bulb for the HVAC lights is a common failure item, under the center knob. But that is likely not the OP's problem as he says NONE of his interior illumination is working.

The more I think about his problems, the more I think I'd start with removing the cluster and making sure both the connectors are secure, clean, and seated properly. Well, after doing some sleuthing with a scan tool. I bet the cluster has some clues to give.

branforddiesel

TDI
Just to clarify my original posts and current situation. As of now my issue is the instrument cluster doesn’t show any of the functions like mpg, temp, etc. my dashboard is illuminated.

The HVAC knobs will not light up

The heated seats and hazard lights will illuminate, although sometimes I have to push in the headlight knob and turn for them to go on?

The cigarette lighter and ashtray also light up. Hope this helps, Jeff

branforddiesel

TDI
Also when I start the car the oil temp icons and a few others do flash for a second on the instrument cluster.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, thanks for the clarification.

So, the ONLY interior illumination bits that do NOT come on when you turn the lights on is the HVAC? Everything else (cluster, window switches, heated rear glass switch, cluster, etc.) all come on?

So you may have just a bad bulb in the HVAC controls. Take a rag and a pair of pliers, and pull the center blower speed knob straight out, the little bulb is under there. I use a little piece of vacuum hose to reach in and grab it to pull it out, then loosely put the new bulb in the end of the hose, and push a small blunt punch through the other end to help carefully seat it in its socket, then snap the knob back on. Simple, do them all the time.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Oil hammer, you’Re awesome! I was wondering how to get to that. I had to use needle nose on the hose, but it worked great! Thanks a lot

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
The bulb is inside a small diameter tube, I used a wooden dowel to seat the bulb fully. Large fingers could hold a person up, or some just don’t want finger oil etc on bulbs

branforddiesel

TDI
Coming back to this.....there's been a lot of different issues going on in the meantime. I'd like to get this working and before I take apart the cluster, I took dimmer switch out and tested both wires. The blue gray wire wasn't giving me anything, the other wire gave me 12v. I just ordered a new switch, but I want to see if the reason the blue gray wire wasn't putting out anything was because the dimmer switch itself is broken. Thanks Jeff