First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My service manager would have given me a loaner if I asked. I have the other fixed A8L with a CEL in my hand.
No remedies were mentioned if they can't fix the glow plug issue. And the MPG is suffering greatly on the other A8L with the CEL on.
The dealership is about 90 miles from my house and I had another vehicle with me, but chose to take the loaner. Better to put miles on theirs, than mine.

Ddbass

TDI
2013 Q7 PP
Update on my fixed '13 Q7:

Just returned from a long road trip GA<->PA, 3 tanks all Hwy at 75-80 mph. Calculated mileage was 27-28 mpg consistently and I was getting 600+ miles per tank. So feeling a bit better about my hwy mileage.

Still concerned about my around town mileage being so low, 13-14, down 4-5 from pre fix. Higher rpm and trans slip taking toll.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Took the A8 back. The dealer fixed the glow plug issue.

Trading it in immediately.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I am considering buying a new tcm, putting it into the Touareg when I take it in for the fix, and then putting my old one back in when it is done. That way I can have it back to better than normal when I get it tuned afterwards. Any reason this will not work?

That may be my work around. I want my Touareg to run like a diesel and not rev too much.

moosekevin

TDI
'09 Jetta Sedan 6 spd.
Having not owned an A6 TDI before (I had an '09 Jetta 6 spd), I don't have anything to compare it too, but I have one for a an extended/overnight test drive and so far I am impressed with the mileage. I did 100% suburban driving - with quite a few sport launched from a stop ;) and I averaged 23.5 mpg. Based on what I've been reading, I was expecting much lower - so I was pleasantly surprised. Tomorrow morning I will take it on the highway to see what I get on the highway and report back.

Moose

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I am considering buying a new tcm, putting it into the Touareg when I take it in for the fix, and then putting my old one back in when it is done. That way I can have it back to better than normal when I get it tuned afterwards. Any reason this will not work?

That may be my work around. I want my Touareg to run like a diesel and not rev too much.
If this works I wonder if I can take your fixed TCM, put it in mine.. and let them fix it again, keeping my original untouched :p

We can just keep passing it around

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If this works I wonder if I can take your fixed TCM, put it in mine.. and let them fix it again, keeping my original untouched :p
We can just keep passing it around
I thought about that. Maybe we could do a rental fee to help me pay for it. However my part number is for a September 2014+. So this won't work for everyone. But I'd be willing to give her a go.

We can verify the part number by VCDS.

Last edited:

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
Update: Audi's had my car for 10 days..

They are putting in a new Cat Converter, Replacing something to do with the AdBlue agent, and a "Nox Sensor Cat" or cap or something (the voicemail is a little fuzzy but they said there was an error code associated)

Hopeful that whatever they do has some kind of positive effect. I should have it back by the end of the week.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
So I got the offer in the mail today for a fixed A7(done on Jan. 24th).

I was also required to upload the repair order to the claim website. So hopefully the money will hit the bank soon after I return the notarized, signed offer. There is a pre-paid label for it. I think there's a separated panel for the cars with multiple claims, albeit false.

Hope this helps.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Anyone got a picture of the decal they place on a fixed TDI? Might be buying another in near future and it'd be an easy way to quickly find out on the lot.

imesp

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0L TDI
2014 Audi A6 Post Repair Update

Just had my 2014 A6 in for the repair. Have about 100 miles on the car since the repair. So far, not happy....

Initial impressions
- shift points are all higher now and average rpms maybe 500rpm up. Use to be able to shift down to 8th gear just above 50mph but now tends to run in 6th gear by default. Will let me manually shift down almost all the time but car will not do it automatically! Guess they did this to offset the weakness in torque post-tune (see below).
- Diesel sound is much worse and more ‘1990’s Mercedes diesel like’. Sounds terrible
- torque and low end power are noticeably worse. I don’t have any numbers but one can clearly feel the difference.
- ran long term 3,000 mile mpg test just before the upgrade and I was averaging 35mpg across that period. Under some highway runs I would get above 40mpg. So far, I am averaging about 29mpg since the upgrade and best highway run is about 37mpg. So overall, I am seeing more than 10% worse. Will continue my long term 3,000 mile test but suspect the gap will continue...

On the verge of selling the car now if such issues continue. Anyone know if it is possible to have some after market shop adjust the tuning to get back some of the performance?

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Just had my 2014 A6 in for the repair. Have about 100 miles on the car since the repair. So far, not happy....

Initial impressions
- shift points are all higher now and average rpms maybe 500rpm up. Use to be able to shift down to 8th gear just above 50mph but now tends to run in 6th gear by default. Will let me manually shift down almost all the time but car will not do it automatically! Guess they did this to offset the weakness in torque post-tune (see below).
- Diesel sound is much worse and more ‘1990’s Mercedes diesel like’. Sounds terrible
- torque and low end power are noticeably worse. I don’t have any numbers but one can clearly feel the difference.
- ran long term 3,000 mile mpg test just before the upgrade and I was averaging 35mpg across that period. Under some highway runs I would get above 40mpg. So far, I am averaging about 29mpg since the upgrade and best highway run is about 37mpg. So overall, I am seeing more than 10% worse. Will continue my long term 3,000 mile test but suspect the gap will continue...

On the verge of selling the car now if such issues continue. Anyone know if it is possible to have some after market shop adjust the tuning to get back some of the performance?
To clarify a couple of points. The higher rpm’s was not to “compensate for lack of torque,” but to put the engine into its most efficient zone, which (many do not know) doesn’t really start until just under 2000 rpms. Where the engine is most efficient, emissions output will be least/best. Where you lose mpg’s is not when your foot is pressing down on the accelerator, but when you are coasting. Many do not have paddle shifters, but if you do on your A6, you’d be well advised to use them as often as feasible. Now see point #2.

The new warm up protocol takes a bigger chunk out of performance and lasts longer than you’d think just by looking at the temp gauge. I believe that many of the reports of lower torque are correlated with a still not fully warm engine. Once fully warm, my driving dynamics are much the same as before.

Oh, one more thing. Just for funzies, try driving a new A6, or for that matter, any of the myriad luxoboxes with 2.0 gasser engines and tell us all about the rpms and shift points they display.

Last edited:

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Anyone got a picture of the decal they place on a fixed TDI? Might be buying another in near future and it'd be an easy way to quickly find out on the lot.
I was looking around online to see what the stickers look like too. I have yet to see one. The Emissions Modification Disclosure even says that two new labels will be installed: "Two additional labels will be installed under the hood of the vehicle after the modification is completed. The first label is an emissions modification completion label and the second is the updated Vehicle Emissions Compliance Information (VECI) label."

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
I bought a new 2016 TDI (traded in my 2014 Q5 TDI). Noticed this morning that cruising at 55 mph, for the first 5 minutes the RPMs were at 2000. Right at 5 minutes, the RPMs suddenly dropped to 1400. IIRC, my 2014 would consistently run at 14-1500 RPM at 55-60 mph, regardless of whether is was cold or warm. This is the only detectable difference I have noticed in vehicle performance, and it has not impacted driveability.

mwetzel394

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 3.0
My car

Your "lurching" is exactly what I was describing, only I used the word "hesitation". It was hesitation, into lurching. This is what I described, cutting across traffic becomes a frightening endeavor. I'm waiting until more people have gotten the fix to see if I'm the only one, as Audi doesn't seem to care about the lone customer. I've been in discussions with the lawyers as well, and their advice is to take it back to the Audi dealer, wait until more people have reported problems, or find someone with an untouched Q7 to do side-by-side testing with recordings, monitoring the system, etc etc (a seemingly impossible request) all on my own dime.
I'm also only on my 2nd tank of gas (They filled up for me last time) so I haven't been able to report my MPG yet - but I may be filling up today. The OBC is reporting 18MPG combined but as others have stated it's hardly reliable. I've been driving without the A/C on most of the time (as it's cooled down here in CA) and have done about 50/50 city/highway. Been trying to drive it very conservatively too, to be fair to folks who feel manufactuer estimated MPG is based off of driving very cautiously.
Will report back later.
I have not had mine done yet , what if we find a guy or gal near Boston who had it done, and compare, how do we start a CA suit?

2014Q5TDI

TDI
2014 Q5 TDI

Initial impressions

Had my Q5 fixed three weeks ago. A couple years ago I enabled my shift display to show which gear I was in rather than just "D" or "S". So now I can see during warm up at a steady speed I am usually two gears lower. Also, when the weather was 50 degrees or below there was always a small difference in shift speeds as well as faster idle until completely warmed up. I now have to get up to 63 miles per hour to get into 8th until completely warmed up which is many miles beyond which the temperature gauge says is up to temp. The paddle shifters do not work until then either. Never used to need them, but I do now. Feels like I am stuck in sport mode. Just did a 300 mile round trip which I do at least once a month. Using the paddle shifters when I could I got 35 MPG which is about 1.5 less than I usually got during cold weather. Audi claimed I might notice a small increase in RPM's. I wouldn't call 400 RPM's small for a Diesel. Am not very happy, I do not like it. But I don't have to put up with it much longer as the new Ford F350 6.7L Power Stroke I ordered many weeks ago is getting loaded on the train now and I should have it in about in about 2 or 3 weeks. Of course I will never see 35 MPG again!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Using the paddle shifters when I could I got 35 MPG which is about 1.5 less than I usually got during cold weather. Audi claimed I might notice a small increase in RPM's. I wouldn't call 400 RPM's small for a Diesel. Am not very happy, I do not like it. But I don't have to put up with it much longer as the new Ford F350 6.7L Power Stroke I ordered many weeks ago is getting loaded on the train now and I should have it in about in about 2 or 3 weeks. Of course I will never see 35 MPG again!
So, to clarify, you are a person who really cares about keeping engine revs low and mpg high, that is why you are unhappy in your fixed TDI, and trading it in on a Ford F-350 6.7L Power Stroke. :rolleyes:

Murray.Ashworth

TDI
Mk2 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 Turbo
Crappy Emission Update.

Initial impressions
Hi there,
Just read your complaint about the Update, I too have issues with my 14 Cayenne Tdi up here in Vancouver BC.
Apart from the audible sounds, I'm experiencing an almost stumbling effect at lower city driving speeds. This first started when I left the vehicle outside one night last week, she's normally indoors and plugged in so the oil pan heater kicks in, heats up everything by morning.
This time of the yr in the Vancouver area the over night temps are considerably cooler than Arizona, so the oil reading is typically around 32-34 centigrade being in garage. Very good effect, better than Coolant heaters.
That's another Topic.
As we are all learning 3rd gear is being held in the RPM range closer to 2800, before shifting when cold, don't like that too much.
Now for the Stumbling effect, which you don't feel as a vibration, but more an internal Hiccup as you slowly drive away from traffic lights, turning a corner etc.
What really alarm's me, this is worse after you've let the vehicle sit, say 1/2-1 hr or possibly more once she's warmed up. From my previous experience's with older European fuel injected cars, it has a symptom of a fuel pressure leak down, or a timing issue..
Very disturbing!!!
I'm not sure if the US software is different from Canada, probably not.
The impression I get is there was not a lot of Field testing, just get it out and please the EPA.
If anyone would like discuss further, email me at.
murray.ashworth@shaw.ca
Cheers.

Probably the best Tdi tuning Company in Nth America is up here in the Vancouver BC area, (Malone Tuning)
I'm in contact with them, Re doing some on board Data recording in the next week or so, they're about 15 min's from where I live.
Yes they do Complete ECM software tuning for our 3.0 Audi Tdi Engine's, Audi, Touareg and Porsche.

Last edited:

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
My calculated risk paid off! I bought a new TCM and put it into my Touareg. Then I took it in for the fix and the TCM made the Touareg stay in a lower gear running around town. It would stay in 3rd as I was running through the neighborhood when it used to run in 4th or maybe 5th. I then put my old TCM back in and it changed my shift patterns back to normal.

The new fixed TCM seems to require more throttle when using partial throttle. I am not a fan. So if you want to have your old shift patterns post-fix, get a new TCM and put that in your Touareg when you get it fixed.

I would be willing to “lend” mine out if yours is compatible.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
My calculated risk paid off! I bought a new TCM and put it into my Touareg. Then I took it in for the fix and the TCM made the Touareg stay in a lower gear running around town. It would stay in 3rd as I was running through the neighborhood when it used to run in 4th or maybe 5th. I then put my old TCM back in and it changed my shift patterns back to normal.

The new fixed TCM seems to require more throttle when using partial throttle. I am not a fan. So if you want to have your old shift patterns post-fix, get a new TCM and put that in your Touareg when you get it fixed.

It’s a great idea. Relatively few Touareg owners have yet to get their cars fixed. But your solution shows a way for owners who are dissatisfied (and plan to keep their TDI’s) to turn the page back.

VegasP

TDI
2013 VW Touareg Executive, 2014 Audi A8 L Tdi
Post fix thoughts

Just did my fix on a 2013 Touareg w 29k miles. I loved everything about it till that day. On a pick up when I started it it made a sound like a Ford diesel pick up,and before was absolutely quiet. Now I hear it a lot while driving, especially on the 2nd and 3rd gear... Shifting is slummy and not responsive. Prior to the fix this touareg was extremely smooth and never felt the gear shifting, now its almost like jerky... i have not driven long enough to compare my MPG, but i used to get 650-670 miles on a full tank on my mix driving city and highway.
I am regretting I did that to my car. Not sure if I will be keeping it as well. For some one new, who never felt how it was before it will be a fine and luxury SUV, but not to me... Would like to see how VW would respond to numerous complaints, but I do believe this law suit is not over yet...

Last edited:

Franklosa

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
Hi there,
Just read your complaint about the Update, I too have issues with my 14 Cayenne Tdi up here in Vancouver BC.
Apart from the audible sounds, I'm experiencing an almost stumbling effect at lower city driving speeds. This first started when I left the vehicle outside one night last week, she's normally indoors and plugged in so the oil pan heater kicks in, heats up everything by morning.
This time of the yr in the Vancouver area the over night temps are considerably cooler than Arizona, so the oil reading is typically around 32-34 centigrade being in garage. Very good effect, better than Coolant heaters.
That's another Topic.
As we are all learning 3rd gear is being held in the RPM range closer to 2800, before shifting when cold, don't like that too much.
Now for the Stumbling effect, which you don't feel as a vibration, but more an internal Hiccup as you slowly drive away from traffic lights, turning a corner etc.
What really alarm's me, this is worse after you've let the vehicle sit, say 1/2-1 hr or possibly more once she's warmed up. From my previous experience's with older European fuel injected cars, it has a symptom of a fuel pressure leak down, or a timing issue..
Very disturbing!!!
I'm not sure if the US software is different from Canada, probably not.
The impression I get is there was not a lot of Field testing, just get it out and please the EPA.
If anyone would like discuss further, email me at.
murray.ashworth@shaw.ca
Cheers.

Probably the best Tdi tuning Company in Nth America is up here in the Vancouver BC area, (Malone Tuning)
I'm in contact with them, Re doing some on board Data recording in the next week or so, they're about 15 min's from where I live.
Yes they do Complete ECM software tuning for our 3.0 Audi Tdi Engine's, Audi, Touareg and Porsche.
I have also experienced the stumbling effect you describe, shortly after starting my Touareg and also in the same situations (stoplight, slow turns).

There was not vibration, but a higher sounding clatter that seemed off beat, lasting about 2 seconds.

Seemingly, if I'm more deliberate with the pedal while accelerating, there are fewer stumbling events.

2014Q5TDI

TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
So, to clarify, you are a person who really cares about keeping engine revs low and mpg high, that is why you are unhappy in your fixed TDI, and trading it in on a Ford F-350 6.7L Power Stroke. :rolleyes:
I am buying the truck to tow a fifth wheel. Was going to keep the Q5, but now I think I will trade it in and use the truck a the daily driver. Not sure if I can ever get used to the way it shifts now. It seems to be better after about a half hour of driving, and the one day it got over 50 degrees it seemed better also. But for now we are stuck in the 20's and 30's, My latest issue is that it was trying to do a regeneration for three days. (Fans were running every time I shut the car off). This included two highway runs of about 9 miles each and a couple other 10 mile trips. Maybe that will improve with warmer weather, I don't know.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7

Hell yeah, I'll give it a shot.. Ive got a: 0C8 927 750 AQ right now..

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Further notes on the cold phase performance of the engine in my 2015 Q5.

Did a throttle reset before beginning to make sure I was starting with a clean slate. Here is the procedure for a throttle reset:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/national-throttle-reset-day-feb-1st-126786.html

- no lurching
- more clatter, but any diesel additive with lubricity will help with this
- shift points higher going from 3-4-5-6-7-8
- once upshifted can coast and slow down in same gear. In other words, after getting into 8th around 60mph, will stay in 8th all the way down to 50mph before it downshifts.
- no observable loss of power, just higher rpms

I honestly don’t understand what has folks so up in arms. Yes, you will experience a small drop in mpg with the changes, but this is entirely due to coasting at higher revs, not driving at higher revs. This engine has been designed to hit its best output between 1900 and 2600 rpms, and the current upshifting happens between 1900 and 2200, under light throttle.

From the performance side, I like it better now (yes, I know you don’t want to hear that.) From the efficiency side, yes, it will cost me a mpg or two. I like to drive for high efficiency, but I am more than willing to take this hit in exchange for the $10k I just got.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I like its current shift patterns, and engine braking I use all the time here in the mountains. I'm more up in arms about the fact that they are mucking with the transmission and its not covered by the extended warranty.. If I want it to hold onto gears a bit longer for performance I simply put it in Sport mode already, but I dont like driving around in sport mode on a day-to-day basis.

i'm also not getting 10k, a PO already claimed half the money so 4500 is what id get for changing the behavior on the only Automatic ive owned that I actually like and enjoy..

but to each their own, feedback on shift behavior and fuel economy on Q7 are much more concerning than the Q5 and Touareg has been.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I like its current shift patterns, and engine braking I use all the time here in the mountains. I'm more up in arms about the fact that they are mucking with the transmission and its not covered by the extended warranty.. If I want it to hold onto gears a bit longer for performance I simply put it in Sport mode already, but I dont like driving around in sport mode on a day-to-day basis.

i'm also not getting 10k, a PO already claimed half the money so 4500 is what id get for changing the behavior on the only Automatic ive owned that I actually like and enjoy..

but to each their own, feedback on shift behavior and fuel economy on Q7 are much more concerning than the Q5 and Touareg has been.
Yes, I see your points, my post was not directed at you, we were cross posting to different people with different vehicles. If I had a Q7, and in particular if I towed, I’d be concerned about engine braking.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The Chipwerke Pro has added more power to the emissions fix, but the fuel economy hasn’t increased. It’s on my wife’s Q5 and she has a lead foot, so it may increase if you drive it easy.

Greg5OH

Vendor
TDI
13 Q7
Im interested in the chipwerk for my q7 once it gets the fix.
Did you notice the hesitation after the fix, and then the chipwerke eliminated that?
I dont want a delete and tune yet, as I want to maximize the 4 year warranty, while a tune box could be removed in a minute and leave no flash counter on the ECM.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Im interested in the chipwerk for my q7 once it gets the fix.
Did you notice the hesitation after the fix, and then the chipwerke eliminated that?
I dont want a delete and tune yet, as I want to maximize the 4 year warranty, while a tune box could be removed in a minute and leave no flash counter on the ECM.
This is the exact use case I am following myself. I have not noticed any hesitation in my 2015 Q5, but I am going to reconnect the Chipwerke in my car next month and will report back.