Wanting to delete the EGR cooler on my 2L CR.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I have an '09 mk5 and '10 mk6 that I want to do this to.

Both have stage 2 Malone tune, DSG tune, FixMyVW Race pipe and BuzzKen straight pipes with the EGR cooler looped out of the coolant system.

I looked around but had no luck finding a DIY. All Ifound was somebody selling their EGR cooler because they deleted it. I've already messaged him about it.

Does anybody know of a DIY they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
This is something I would like to see as well. Videos and pictures all that. I just do not want to mess it up. The guy that did my tunes said just need a piece of permatex pipe from Lowes to create the loop and it comes off. Just does not seem that easy.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
I bought a kit off of ebay. It used a 90 degree plumbing fitting to fit the inlet and outlet hoses together, and 2 plates, one for the end of the turbo, and one for the egr valve at the front of the motor. I used another plate that I had to block off the "question mark" looking pipe (bentley says connecting pipe) coming down. The kit had 2 plates, but I needed 3. You can remove the "question mark" pipe and make a plug of some sort, but it was easier for me to put a plate on it.

egr delete kit from ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/121553994205?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also removed the pipe that goes from the egr cooler to egr valve. I was in the midst of doing a lot of other stuff so it wasn't that hard for me to get to the egr cooler. I hope that helps.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Put clamps on the hoses and drain off as much coolant as you can from the cooler itself. Then plug the holes with something when you are physically taking it out of the car. It's a bit messy, but not a hard job.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I already deleted the EGR pip, I have the block off plates and, as I said in my op, the coolant system is already looped out of the EGR cooler and the EGR valve is deleted.

Blue Atlantic, can you post of picture of said "question mark" pipe? Or can I have the Bentley page number? I also have 1 but cant seem to find what youre talking about. Is the block off plate for the "question mark" pipe the same as the EGR block off plates?

Georgia boy, Ive already got those parts. Thanks though.

Yukon, the egr cooler is already looped out of the system.

What about the sensors? What is done with those?

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
If you already have the coolant line that runs into the egr cooler, you can just unbolt it from the motor and remove it. I don't have it on my car anymore. It was just like 10lbs of dead weight.

If your car is stage 2 with EGR delete, the sensors are already disabled, so just leave them unplugged and ziptied out of the way.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Sorry bout my lag here, I forgot I made this thread.

I figured it out on my mk5 then did it on my buddies mk6. We meant to make a good and detailed DIY but only remembered we were going to after the EGR was off the block.

My bad.

EvilEvo, I got the jist of it from the "EGR cooler removal" single pic diy but really wanted something indepth with the motor still in the car. Thanks anyways.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Sorry bout my lag here, I forgot I made this thread.

We meant to make a good and detailed DIY but only remembered we were going to after the EGR was off the block.

My bad.
Bummer, this was going to be my next project and I was hoping for a detailed DIY.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I just did 2 of them. I'll help any way I can.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Thanks, I'll do that. I want that HP EGR pipe out of the way before my next oil change!
That make removing the oil filter easier.

I got the FixMyVW race pipe. Its really nice and has a hole tapped if you ever want to through in a mechanical boost gauge.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Cool.
To remove the EGR pipe, you'll need to remove the air box, battery, battery tray and turbo charge pipe to the FMIC hose.
The charge pipe is kind of a pita to get out but you'll get it.
Be sure to have a block off plate for the exhaust manifold side of the EGR pipe before starting this project.

Last edited:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool.
To remove the EGR pipe, you'll need to remove the air box, battery, battery tray and turbo charge pipe to the FMIC hose.
The charge pipe is kind of a pita to get out but you'll get it.
Be sure to have a block off plate for the exhaust manifold side of the EGR pipe before starting this project.
The race pipe kit came with a block off plate that is now on the end of the HP EGR pipe. I will take the plate off when I remove the pipe. I did the DPF delete and race pipe install so I'm pretty good with a wrench. What I'm not sure about is the plastic elbow that the kit came with the kit. I know it goes on the hoses and I bet it will become evident when I start to take things apart.

What is the charge pipe?

By the picture here, I'm guessing the HP EGR pipe is the brownish pipe on the left. This is where the block of plate goes right?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Damn it, I knew I should have done that damn DIY.

You got the DPF out? Thats the hard part. This is the fun part. lol.

The charge pipe takes the air from the turbo to the FMIC. You'll need to remove the air box, battery and battery tray to gain access to it. Its a hard black plastic pipe and its fasten to the block by two T30 torks screws. Its kinda of a PITA to get out with out removing other hoses and such but not impossible. I just did 2 this past week.

That brown-ish pipe that is going to the front of the motor and to the EGR valve on the intake manifold side is the HP EGR pipe. Those 2 rusted nuts are what hold the block off plate onto the exhaust manifold. They are 12mm.

You see the black body labeled "LP EGR Valve and EGR Potentiometer and EGR Valve N345"? DIRECTLY the right of that little dot (if you're not color blind its yellow) Is a pipe. That is 1 of the coolant pipes. Then just above that is another pipe. That is the other coolant pipe.

They have some fancy hose clamps on them and this tool come in handy in more than just this 1 area.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4525-Cabl...sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TGVC1GH2SN8YJYVX5KJ

Once you remove the coolant hoses, you're going to spill a considerable amount of coolant unless you have these.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w83205

I sell for summit btw, if you're interested, pm me.

If not, get yourself a gallon of coolant from the dealer and premix before hand because you're gonna loose a lot of coolant.

Next, to remove the EGR cooler there are 4 or 5 T30 tork bolts that fasten it to the block. Remove them. The EGR cooler should be loose by this point.

You've got 2 sensor that need to come out. Both are threaded into the EGR cooler via a 14mm fittings. Undo bofe'ms and get them out of the way. The hard line you see going across the EGR cooler gets removed. Remove the 12mm nut on the heat shield holding the hard line in place. Trace the hard line to the top side of the engine and remove it. Put the 12mm nut back in place and make it snug.

That short metal tube with the line coming from the phrase "To the Intake side of the Turbocharger" gets unbolted from the EGR cooler (I believe, 10mm triple squares) then you just gotta mess with it, whisper sweet nothings and mickey mouse it out of the turbo. There with be a rather larger grommet in the turbo where that pipe came out of, remove it.

Then you'll need 1 of these to go in its place. I bought mine at autozone for around $6.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-02601-Expand-Tite/dp/B000CO8ZN8

Dont put it in just yet, the EGR cooler still needs to come out.

Now, you'll need to remove that big 27mm bolt. It's a banjo bolt. That holds the turbo support/oil return line to the block. The 2 seals for it, from the dealer, are $10. By the time you get around to remove it, most (if not all) of the oil will be out of the turbo so you'll lose very little. Nothing to worry about. Don't forget up high there is a 16mm funny bolt that holds the turbo support/oil return line to the turbo. That bolt also get removed. With those 2 out, the turbo support/oil return line can move pretty freely. NOW you should be able to remove the EGR cooler. Be careful, there is a good bit of oil and coolant in there. Idk why oil is there but it is.

Also, now you can install that Expand TITE thingy. Again, make sure that sob is TIGHT.

Now with the EGR cooler out of the way, go ahead and re-install the turbo support/oil return line.

With everything out of the way, you will clearly be able to see where the 90 degree fitting goes. MAKE SURE you have the fancy clamps on the hose BEFORE you try to put the fitting on. You will NOT be able to get the clamp around the 90 degree bend. It won't happen with out damaging something.
That fitting is a VERY tight fit. It is a REAL SOAB to get on. Just put some elbow grease into it and it will go on.

Once everything is in place, put the clamps back on, fill with coolant, burb the system and you'll be good to go.

Seeing as you'll have all of this stuff out of the way, and if you're feeling frugal, Take advantage of it and get these 2 parts to install while you're in there.
http://www.tyrolsport.com/brakes/tyrolsport-master-bracket/

Since they don't have a designated TDI bracket, call them before you order it and ask which 1 fits your car.

Also this.
http://www.neuspeed.com/247/11/0/2898/480283-tdi-turbo-discharge-pipe.html

I just saw this, this is cool.
http://www.neuspeed.com/247/0/0/3166/951060-dsg-billet-aluminum-filter-housing.html
I may get it next time I service my DSG.

If there is anything I missed, or sounded confusing, do not hesitate to ask.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the detailed write-up Maddness, it will be helpful. The job doesn't seem too difficult but I will make sure to have all the tools in hand before I start. Do you happen to have the part number for the $10 seals?

Besides the weight savings, are there any other benefits to be gained by removing the EGR cooler and associated plumbing?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Np brochacho.

If they are the same as your's, as they should be, they are;

N-909-788-01
N-907-156-01

You only need 1 of each.

Besides the weight savings, there will be less parts to break and maintain, less crap in your way when you do other such work.

sktan

TDI
VW 2012 Passat
I have an '09 mk5 and '10 mk6 that I want to do this to.
Both have stage 2 Malone tune, DSG tune, FixMyVW Race pipe and BuzzKen straight pipes with the EGR cooler (http://www.egrcooler.com.cn/display-subj-18-page-43.htm) looped out of the coolant system.
I looked around but had no luck finding a DIY. All Ifound was somebody selling their EGR cooler because they deleted it. I've already messaged him about it.
Does anybody know of a DIY they'd like to share?
Thanks in advance.
Also want to know how people delete their egr coolers.

giro98

TDI
2010 sportwagon m/t
egr sensors

Great diy write up, thanks much, Maddness.

Question: am I correct in that when the two sensors are removed, that there will be no codes thrown if this job is combined with the Malone 2.0 tune and DPF Egr delete system install? The tune basically disables the two sensors, right?

Appreciate all the things I learn on here, that's for sure.

zburt

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Would have loved to see a DIY video :( Going to remove the EGR Cooler and add the race pipe to remove the EGR Valve as my EGR Cooler is leaking. Did you remove the EGR Filter as well? Didn't see it mentioned. Have a 2013 Jetta TDI.