2004 Jetta TDI - Turbo Issues HELP PLEASE!

Bkreinbe

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI 1.9L (BEW). At 97K miles it went into limp mode on a hill, died, wouldn't start again, and was towed. After it sat awhile, we started it up, and it did turn over, but it blew a lot of smoke (white smoke), and wouldn't reach more than 1500rpms. It was also leaking oil from the exhaust. I took the EGR valve out and cleaned it, and when I put it back in, THEN the check engine lights came on.

I'm a rookie so I don't really know anything about diesels or turbos. I ended up taking the car to a shop and the guy told me that the #3 injector was no good, so I had it replaced. Now he's telling me that the turbo is no good and must be replaced. He wanted to charge me $1700 for a turbo. I said no way. I found some online for way cheaper, and I wouldn't be opposed to buying one from a private seller, but I'm not sure what all is compatible as far as parts numbers, etc.

I put an ad on craigslist looking for a turbo. I got a response from a local guy saying "I have a good working Garret VNT 15, no. on turbo/manifold is 038 253 019A, from a Jetta, will this work for you?"

I haven't responded, because I don't speak Jetta. I need serious help! I'm in wayyy over my head with this car.

Bkreinbe

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I got codes for "#3 misfire" "random multiple misfire" and and EGR code - when I ran the codes for myself.

The car is in a town an hour from where I live, and I don't know all of the specs on it (it's actually a car my girlfriend bought before I knew her - and now I get to deal with the mess). So I called the mechanic and told him I was going to buy a new turbo for it and I needed to know the engine code. He called me back and told me BEW. I asked if he was sure. He said without a doubt.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
2004 jettas are definitely BEW engine code. The VNT 15 isn't the right turbo. Your car came from the factory with a KK&K/Borg Warner kp-39. Once in a while you'll find a used one here. IdParts and other vendors have them and I think you can get them for about 900. It sounds like your turbo may have failed and fed oil to the engine. A hydrolock can bend connecting rods on these engines. It sounds like you need a good TDI mechanic or guru.

Bkreinbe

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks, guys! I'm so irritated with all of this. Before I met my girlfriend, she was taking the car to a local shop for oil changes. Do you think they used synthetic syntec? Hell no. That caused some pricey repairs. $700 to replace brakes?! That seemed extremely outrageous. So I'm sick of dumping money into this car. I'm hoping to find a turbo I can throw in there and pray that it's the only remaining issue.

Denver is a little far (about 5 hours over the Rockies).

Bkreinbe

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
True. I'm in Western Colorado (Grand Junction area). I can't find a single decent honest TDI mechanic anywhere near here. I'm at my wits end.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
True. I'm in Western Colorado (Grand Junction area). I can't find a single decent honest TDI mechanic anywhere near here. I'm at my wits end.
Too bad you are so far from Denver. Owning these cars requires having a knowledgeable shop nearby or you being the knowledgeable wrench turner. These are cars for enthusiasts (especially the older ones). The newer ones are much more challenging with the fuel system complexities and emissions equipment.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I really have to wonder what would cause the mechanic to replace an injector when there is oil dripping out the exhaust. Oil from exhaust= blown turbo period.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
i would not run the car again it can run away and you will need an engine. Dont put a stock turbo back on it they suck bad. Use a vnt17 it will bolt right on the car. If you want to keep egr you will need a pipe for that. This turbo is a mild upgrade but much stronger and works great in a stock application.

Bkreinbe

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Somebody (not an enthusiast) suggested a turbo to me that's 'affordable' but I know that you get what you pay for. Does anyone know about this?

"T3 T4 T04E Hybrid Stage 3 A/R .63 TURBINE 57 TRIM Universal Turbo Turbocharger"

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You know, I would go with the VNT-17. I actually have had good luck with the stock KP-39 on my '04, with 150,000 miles and no issues. But I live at sea level. At a high altitude (isn't Grand Junction over 6000 feet in altitude?), turbochargers work MUCH harder and can fail prematurely. The engine needs the same amount of air, whether at sea level, or at 9000 feet. But, at 9000 feet the air is thinner (less mass by same volume). At a high altitude, the TDI's ECU will allow the turbocharger to spin much faster to suck in the same (or try to get the same) amount of air (by mass) as it gets at sea level. This supper fast spinning can really wear out a turbocharger.

The VNT 17 has a bigger shaft (equates to stronger) and can move more air.

--Nate

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
If you do get a VNT 17, try to make sure it has the newer smart actuator that is set up for American VWs with the BEW engine code. The guys at IDparts and Kerma will know right away what you mean.

Unfortunately, the biggest challenge with these cars is finding someone who knows how to work on them.

Your car does not have 'injectors' per-se, it has four pump-injector units that are very pricey and supposedly pretty durable. I would be very careful in letting anyone replace those who does not have extensive experience in dealing with these engines.

Bkreinbe

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
You guys are awesome! I've been doing a lot of research and talking to a few VW mechanics. I want to learn and hopefully someday be as knowledgeable as some of you. I bought a turbo (VNT 17) as was suggested. I'll put it in next week and see what we get.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Best of luck. Post back with any questions and be certain to let us know how well it turns out. Please be certain to clear the oil from your charged air pipes!