not really saving any money

goleafs

TDI
2010 golf wagon
I have a problem and here is my problem. I bought the TDI to save money with all intentions of driving the golf wagon conservatively, however I can't help but look for out of the way fun routes to get to the destination so I can drive a little further and faster. I go places that I didn't really need to just to drive. I look for roads that wind. After 5 miniv-vans, 2 f150, an Explorer and a CX7 my new VW drive is somewhat of a highlight to my not so exciting life. I am getting about 800 km to a tank of fun. Do I need to seek professional help? :D :D

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
goleafs said:
I have a problem and here is my problem. I bought the TDI to save money with all intentions of driving the golf wagon conservatively, however I can't help but look for out to the way fun routes to get to the destination so I can drive a little further and faster. I go places that I didn't really need to just to drive. I look for roads that wind. After 5 miniv-vans, 2 f150, an Explorer and a CX7 my new VW drive is somewhat of a highlight to my not so exciting life. I am getting about 800 km to a tank of fun. Do I need to seek professional help? :D :D
So do you mutter to yourself, stuff like yippee, yahoo? ;)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I tend to believe you are still saving money. You see, had you chosen a 2.5 or a GTI, you'd still be driving a car that's more fun than the others you listed. Odds are you'd drive either of them just as much as your TDI, but at a higher fuel expense. Think of it that way and you can see you're still ahead. :)

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Yep, same problem - You're doomed.

Unfortunately, you have a cronic problem, and it will only get worse with age. In addition to finding the most beautful, fun, twisty driving routes, you will start wondering what it would be like to drive a TDI that's been chipped, had the suspension upgraded, - Oh, yes, that all costs money, too. You will find youself trailing 911's and other exotics, thinking "I bet I can keep up with them" - and often, you will. and then you begin to think, I'll bet I can pass them.
You might eventually go completely over to the dark side, and try out autocross. If you want to see where this disease eventually, leads, take a CLOSE look at my avitar. You're doomed. :D

Last edited:

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Hey, just wondering, what did you think of your Mazda CX7? The wife and I considered buying one once. I liked the interior/dash appointment and interior quality. Glad now that I didn't pull the trigger.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
By all means, stay away from professional help ! :eek: (VW dealers) It would seem one of the biggest criteria of becoming a VW dealer that stays in business is to have a crappy service department. Why this makes sense to VW and the individual dealers is really beyond me. Not all of them are like this. (yes there are a few scofflaws)

At the risk of getting serious on you, evaluate everything on cost per mile driven. :cool: So for example an apples to oranges comparison is my 2003 Jetta TDI is actually running cheaper than my 2004 Honda Civic.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
someone once quoted "drive more worry less", have fun and enjoy your new car and new found youth.....

goleafs

TDI
2010 golf wagon
daneg said:
Hey, just wondering, what did you think of your Mazda CX7? The wife and I considered buying one once. I liked the interior/dash appointment and interior quality. Glad now that I didn't pull the trigger.
Ths Mazda is a nice heavy, comfortable car with lots of power but it has a drinking problem. Terrible gas mileage. You mentioned the dash and although it looks nice I find it very confusing. Touch here, look there to turn something on. The VW controls for radio, heat, AC are so simple compared to the Mazda but once used to it, its fine. I rarely drive it. It also runs better on premium. 500 km to a tank, roughly 65 litres.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Sounds normal. Nice to escape from the Walter Mitty world and actually live it. TDI's welcome having thier legs stretched and the bonus is they wont penalize you at the pump.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Tom W. said:
Unfortunately, you have a cronic problem, and it will only get worse with age. In addition to finding the most beautful, fun, twisty driving routes, you will start wondering what it would be like to drive a TDI that's been chipped, had the suspension upgraded, - Oh, yes, that all costs money, too. You will find youself trailing 911's and other exotics, thinking "I bet I can keep up with them" - and often, you will. and then you begin to think, I'll bet I can pass them.
You might eventually go completely over to the dark side, and try out autocross. If you want to see where this disease eventually, leads, take a CLOSE look at my avitar. You're doomed. :D
There is no known cure for TDI addiction! :D :cool:

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
goleafs said:
Ths Mazda is a nice heavy, comfortable car with lots of power but it has a drinking problem. Terrible gas mileage. You mentioned the dash and although it looks nice I find it very confusing. Touch here, look there to turn something on. The VW controls for radio, heat, AC are so simple compared to the Mazda but once used to it, its fine. I rarely drive it. It also runs better on premium. 500 km to a tank, roughly 65 litres.
Yes, I am easily distracted by lights and gadgets. I remember the gas mileage wasn't great, and they were really a very expensive vehicle in Canada, at least when they first came out. I've only seen one of them in Yellowknife so far. I made the right decision for sure. They recommended Premium for my FJ Cruiser, in YK it is $1.26 per litre of premium, $1.00 for diesel. Traded the FJ for the JSW and have an old truck for weekend skidoo and fishing trips. Thanks.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Souzafone said:
You think you got it bad now, wait until the warranty is up and the mods begin.[/quote

This forum is great. I expect to dump some serious cash at the TDI fest. The original poster should try and make that trip. So far thanks to the forum I followed DBW's break in procedure to a T and have had no problems, and no oil burn at all. Installed an Evolution Skid Plate, which I learned about here. Used the foam pipe insulation fix for cold weather driving (which works really well by the way), bought four biline rims for summer from somebody on the forum here who actually drove with them across the border from Buffalo NY and mailed them Canada Post to save me money on shipping. Now I am thinking about getting rid of the OEM Conti's and swapping for Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s. I am afraid I am just getting started....:cool: Have fun!

goleafs

TDI
2010 golf wagon
The idea of going to the TDI fest sounds interesting. Thanks for the idea and maybe I will see you there.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
goleafs said:
The idea of going to the TDI fest sounds interesting. Thanks for the idea and maybe I will see you there.
It would be great if you could make it and we could have a good canuck turnout. My wife and i will definately try to make it depending on my wife getting the time off as she has to work frequent weekends. Fortunately for us its only a 5 hour drive. I can relate to your story about driving for sheer enjoyment as that is what happened when I purchased my A5 jetta as I've never owned a car that handled so well or was so much fun to drive. My wife and I went on a short get away to Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island shortly after we purchased the Jetta. The road there is a road rally enthusiasts wet dream being filled with curves, switch backs, adverse grades and spectacular ocean scenery. I was really getting into it to the point you could hear the tires beginning to protest when my wife announced she was getting extremely car sick and I had to back off. No sooner did i back off when we rounded a curve to see an Explorer pulled over and the passenger outside tossing their cookies, must have been something they ate;) . Enjoy your ride, I sure do every time i get behind the wheel.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
icecap said:
It would be great if you could make it and we could have a good canuck turnout. My wife and i will definately try to make it depending on my wife getting the time off as she has to work frequent weekends. Fortunately for us its only a 5 hour drive. I can relate to your story about driving for sheer enjoyment as that is what happened when I purchased my A5 jetta as I've never owned a car that handled so well or was so much fun to drive. My wife and I went on a short get away to Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island shortly after we purchased the Jetta. The road there is a road rally enthusiasts wet dream being filled with curves, switch backs, adverse grades and spectacular ocean scenery. I was really getting into it to the point you could hear the tires beginning to protest when my wife announced she was getting extremely car sick and I had to back off. No sooner did i back off when we rounded a curve to see an Explorer pulled over and the passenger outside tossing their cookies, must have been something they ate;) . Enjoy your ride, I sure do every time i get behind the wheel.
Hey, I did an eight month stint as a journalist for the Chilliwack Times as part of my work Coop requirements (UVic). That was a decade ago. They offered me a permanent job and I seriously considered it but hated my boss, so ended up here instead. Go Canucks!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I think that more people have a budget in mind when it comes to fuel. The high efficiency car doesn't save money. It redistributes money over more miles.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
daneg said:
Hey, I did an eight month stint as a journalist for the Chilliwack Times as part of my work Coop requirements (UVic). That was a decade ago. They offered me a permanent job and I seriously considered it but hated my boss, so ended up here instead. Go Canucks!
My daughter did the co-op program at SFU and at the start couldn't decide whether she wanted a career in the publishing business or to become an english prof at a University. After her co-op experience in the publishing industry she completely changed her courses and graduated 2 years ago to became a social worker which she now loves.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Franko6 said:
I think that more people have a budget in mind when it comes to fuel. The high efficiency car doesn't save money. It redistributes money over more miles.
I think you got it right for sure :) Finacially the JSW is a wash because of the huge roadtrips my wife and I plan to do that we wouldn't do if we didn't have it. My FJ Cruiser was a brick on the highway. Icecap from Chilliwack, make the trip, I'm coming from Yellowknife - five hours ain't so bad. :rolleyes:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
My Jetta has been its own undoing. I have a fine and proper work truck. I bought the jetta as a "people only, clean people only" car, with the truck for work. Well, the truck...drives like a...truck. Not a bad truck, but it is a truck. The Jetta drives very nice, and sips to boot. So now the truck sits unless I need to haul something, and I end up working out of the Jetta. The Jetta is showing signs of being worked out of. Tan cloth seats...diesel mechanic...bad combo. I do put a towel over the seat if I'm nasty.. but still.

far_cry

Veteran Member
TDI
octavia 1.9 TDI alh
ymz said:
Yes!!!! (You should be getting at least 900 km per tank...)

Enjoy!!!

Yuri

haha
i get 600km per tank (1 liter per 10 kilometer's )

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
For about $24,000 you can not go wrong if you have the money. Lifespan, preformance, mileage...it is all great. The ONLY thing I would change on these cars (using the Sedan) to make them my perfect car would be seats with a bit more stuffing in them, a stronger armrest that you could put weight on and not risk breaking, a parking light position on the light switch and a rear seats that folded flat. Otherwise...zero issues.

The only mods I will do to mine are skid plates (both cars) and try to hook up a by-pass filter. Otherwise...stock all the way.

The only cure for TDI Love is to hit the lottery, get 777 on the machine or settle for a Prius HAHAHAHA

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
yes, I have a similar problem, one tdi has turned into 4, not one at a time, I mean 4 tdi's in the driveway....parked next to a ford with a 5.7L diesel engine....if the fuel stations were giving away gasoline I wouldn't know what to do with it....

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Couple things... IMO VW should not have strayed from the ALH (99.5 - 03) which has a nice balance between power and great fuel economy. In addition you soon will notice an increase of power and mileage as they phase out winter fuel.