Start up question

giovanni2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
How many of you guys actually keep your fuel pedal depressed while cranking at first start up in the cold morning?

Just wondering....

I have been having some problems lately. Usually starts up right away, with no pedal depressed. These past cold mornings in Ontario, it will stumble at first start, and then will have to crank for a good 30 seconds for it to catch.

I have also read that this could be a leak coming from the glow plugs. Anyone know of a way to test this?

I have an '04 PD Wagon.

Thanks!

EZR

TDI
Platinum 2005 Jetta
My owner's manual is very clear - to NOT press the go pedal when starting. Not as cold here as you have, but have never had an issue with starting...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
giovanni2 said:
These past cold mornings in Ontario, it will stumble at first start, and then will have to crank for a good 30 seconds for it to catch.
Even in the Ontario weather, which can be mighty cold, you should not need to crank 30 seconds.

I suspect a mmechanical issue. Have you had anyone try to pull any codes?

I don't hold the pedal down. It should not be needed.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Joe_Meehan said:
Even in the Ontario weather, which can be mighty cold, you should not need to crank 30 seconds.

I suspect a mmechanical issue. Have you had anyone try to pull any codes?

I don't hold the pedal down. It should not be needed.
Yes. sounds like a loss of prime. check for fuel leaks near the injection pump.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
IIRC the engine computer ignores the go pedal until after the engine is running (and starter is not). I concur with ROB, it sounds like a loss of prime. However, you won't be able to check for fuel leaks near the injection pump since you have a 2004 model - the PD doesn't have a traditional IP like the earlier engines (it has four very high pressure IPs!). Check the thermostatic tee fitting at your fuel filter and make sure it is fully seated, not leaking & not cracked.

Is the CEL/MIL on? Have you had it scanned with VAG-COM?

It's not quite as cold right now in Chicago as it is in the Hammer, but it's still plenty cold. Both my '06 Golf (PD) and '00 NB (VE) fire up without a hitch.

Jerry

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 99(now sold), red, Passat Wagon, 04 (now sold), Stonehenge, 06 New Beetle, Salsa Red, 5 speed, 12 Passat SE, Opera Red
I've always started my Beetle without touching the pedal. The temp makes no difference. They crank a couple seconds longer if its 20 below.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
slow start

When was fuel filter replaced? Are you running Bio? Check thermostatic T for cracks.

giovanni2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi guys, thank for your replies!

I have replaced the fuel filter and plastice tee to try and eliminate this problem, all within the last few months. The funny thing is, that the car will be fine for a few moths, and then go through a few weeks of hard starting, and then back to being fine again. No matter what the temperature is outside. This has been going on for over a year now. The last time I had it in to Hamilton VW, the only code they found was a "key code". They said it shows when ever the wrong key was being used. Thinking that this was the problem, I switched keys and used the service key for a while. No improvement.

This has me confused!

jt jetta

TDI
2004 jetta gls
I had the same problem on my o4 one "o" ring on the fuel filter had a tiny knick replace all three no problems yet.

giovanni2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
The 'O' rings on the plastice tee on top of the fuel filter were replaced at the time of fuel filter change, and again about one month later when I replaced the tee. Even put some silicone to help seal.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
How long are your GPs staying on when it takes a longer cranking cycle to start? If the indicator goes out in about the same amount of time as when its warmer you may have a defective coolant temp sensor since it seems a bit of a "now and then" issue.
Do you have air bubbles in the small section of clear fuel line coming out of the filter? (not sure if the PDs have that clear section)
Anyways you definitely should not be or having to apply throttle while cranking. I beleive the lift pumps have been known to get spastic before complete failure and not leave a trouble code.

giovanni2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
You are correct, my PD does not have the clear plastic lines so I cannot see any air bubbles.

As for the glow plug light, to me it seems that there is no difference as to how long it tays on (in relation to the hard starting). It has done it to me in the summer, when the glow plug light goes off quicker, and most recently occurring now, and the light stays on much longer due to the cold temperatures in Southern Ontario.

There does not seem to be any pattern to this happening!

One person suggested that there could be a leak in one of the glow plug seals, and that this would bring on hard starting. Anyone have any experience in this, or how I may go about testing it?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
One person suggested that there could be a leak in one of the glow plug seals, and that this would bring on hard starting. Anyone have any experience in this, or how I may go about testing it?
No.

jettawreck: beleive the lift pumps have been known to get spastic before complete failure and not leave a trouble code.
I like this suggestion.