2004 Skid Plate

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I am about to order a new skid plate for my 2004 TDI Jetta, 5 speed. There are multiple brands out there so I though I'd ask the encyclopedia of TDIClub what the best / favorite one is?

I had one on another car, and it was made of steel. It was on the car when I bought it, so I do not know where it was purchased from.

Anyone have a favorite?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like the Panzer by Diesel Geek. They sell metal side skirts as well, but it seems like the bottom plate provides most needed protection.
Evolution has a nice one as well, I've heard.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I'll give it a look. Thanks....

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Just did an oil change on the Beetle. Had a look at my Evolution skid plate. Has a dent from a boulder I hit a couple of winters ago. I am sure that the oil pan would have been toasted from that hit and many others in the past.

Still looks good after almost 10 years.

The oil plug hole is great to reach the drain!

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll give that a look as well. Appreciate the suggestions!

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I didn't even realize that there was more than one shop making aluminum skid plates. I have a dieselgeek plate but kept the plastic oem skirts. I painted mine black because it matched the undercoating I used on the road side surface of the plate. I love it. I was one of the people who lost an oil pan to road debris. The panzer skid plate already bears the scars of road ice bombs so its doing its job.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Defender aluminum pan sure makes plowing through deep snow easier, not to mention the ice bombs!

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
I asked for suggestions here after I did my oil change last week. The plastic belly pan was badly damaged, and a chunk was missing from the corner of it. I carefully inspected the oil pan (no dents / dings) and tranny pan. All was good. So, I figure I really dodged a bullet here.

New aluminum pan on the way!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
My 2 time totaled Golf is still running only because of this. I have the diesel geek one. Wife hopped a curb on an icy downhill road. Curb was tall even with a lifted car it was resting directly on the plate and it bend it some. Had to be dragged off as the wheels weren't touching. If the engine would have gone I wouldn't have bought it back from insurance. But it was running ONLY from that.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
My previous Jetta had one on it when I bought it. No idea where it was from. Made of steel, and heavy as they get. It had a few dings on it, any of which could have proved fatal to the oil pan. Looking forward to the added protection when this one arrives!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have the Panzer skid plate with the metal side skirts and it works great. If you are missing a side skirt, it will cost more to get the plastic replacements (and you still have to modify) than the metal ones.

Also, in the interest of trying to quiet my car the best I can I bought a roll of this and used this on the inside of the plate and skirts. For the side skirts I made paper templates first and then cut the material with sharp scissors.