More Info

bwc

Have been reading this site for awhile and am quite interested in everything that is going on and with the knowledge one can gain. I have owned several VW diesels over the years starting with a 1980 2dr, excellent car, and not so good 1985 Golf. After dealer could not fix the wet floor I sold it and left the VW family so to speak. With the arrival of the new TDI in the Jetta and Golf, my wife and I are looking once again. We have test driven a 1999 Jetta and were very impressed. I looked at them yesterday at the car lot and could someone tell me why the headlamps on the Golf are different than the Jetta. There appears to be an extra lamp in the Golf. Do these cars, Golf and Jetta usually come from the factory with A/C or is it something the dealer can install after the fact? There are two Jettas in our color but no a/c. From standing back it would seem that the Golf would have more usable interiior space. Am I correct in assuming this? Thanks for your assistance and we'll no doubt be talking again.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Keep in mind that the rear seat folds down in the Jetta, so it can probably holder longer objects than the Golf, as long as they are not too tall.

S

SkyPup

Does the Golf have more headroom in the rear seat than the Jetta? Seems like it should. The Jetta is pretty tight due to the sloping rear roof line, while the Golf is straighter on out to the rear hatch.

Craig

Veteran Member
In Canada all GLS Jettas include A/C. GL models come standard without air, but for $1295 it is a factory option (plus $100 A/C excise tax!). So you can get a GL with or without factory air. (Personally I have never heard of it as a dealer-installed option. This is new to me. Wonder what they charge?) I was told by a dealer that most of the GL Jettas without A/C go to Quebec.

I have before me a price list for Golf (1999) and it is the optionally the same as the Jetta for GL Golfs.

The NB is different from either of the above. I have a NB price list which says, "Air Conditioning Standard Equpment on all New Bettle models".

I do not know if the above is valid for the U.S.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Hi, guys

Uhhh, isn't A/C supposed to be standard on BOTH the Jetta and Golf, regardless of trim level? Also, as has been previously mentioned in this forum, cruise control is standard with the TDI motor.

Norman

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Hi, guys

OK, OK, so somebody throw me a frickin' bone here...

I didn't realize the original poster was from CAN; according to VWoA, the Golf GL trim level, regardless of motor, offers A/C as an option. What the heck is that?! Just stick the A/C in there and be done with it...what were they thinking

I stand corrected..
Norman

[This message has been edited by Norman (edited July 26, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

A/C is standard on all models, GL, GLS, and GLX, it is not an option. Also the cruise control is standard on all TDI models, both GL and GLS in the GOLF, Jetta and NB.

bwc

Thanks for the replies. These 2 Jettas are GL
models with no a/c. I phoned and doubled checked. Dealer says they have installed a/c
often and have had no problems. I'll or should I say we will pick up a 4 dr Golf GLS
soon for a test dive to compare to the Jetta but I expect them to be very close if not identical in ride etc. Could I be wrong in this? See ya later.....

N Dennis

Veteran Member
Get used to it Mickey. You let em put a foot in the door and they will push it wide open with all kinds of "user fees". The only way to stop it is to slam the door hard on their foot, not giving a rats a** if you break their toes or not. Yes I do have a problem government intrusion into the day to day operation of my life.

Rob Silcher

On the plus side, when I bought my NB TDI I got the $100 gasoline tax refunded - another lovely Canadian tax. And my insurance was $80/year cheaper with the TDI than the 2.0 gas. So right off the bat I saved $180 which goes towards the extra $ for the TDI.

N Dennis

Veteran Member
Rob: In the great state of California, the insurers ding you twice for a TDI. Once for being a diesel, and once again for being turbocharged. That was by the 2 largest insurers in CA: State Farm and CSAA(aka AAA). Of course I called em on it but apparently that is the CA insurance industry SOP.

tom

Veteran Member
N Dennis, try AIG Insurance. I have been happy with them and their prices. I would encourage anyone who questions their auto insurance rates to shop and compare regularly. There is no greater rip-off industry (no rhyme or reason to the rates).
Back to the tread, I've been to Ontario and Quebec and don't know why you wouldn't want air in a new car. I'm from Arizona and I still consider their summers hot and occasionally uncomfortable. Go with the air dispite the tax!