5 Speed manual conversion update

perry-vw-

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Cup (Malone Stage 2) / 05 Passat wagon TDI (Malone Stage 1.5, BSM, 5 speed manual) / 90 Corrado (work in progress)
Couple of the 5 speed conversions I have done have gone cross country (2000+ miles) and reported back 44-46 mpg
I get that on the highway with mine all the time even running 18" wheels. With my steelies and snow tires it was closer to 50 mpg. In town I've seen 40 mpg. When I check the mpg for the whole tank of fuel it is right around 40 mpg.

adam4584

TDI
'04 B5.5 Passat, '09 Jetta tdi
clutch question. i have read through thes and determined that most of y'all have used a valeo kit. but what about other options? my guru/tdi guy does not like valeo and has told me that they will not hold the tq of the engine. but he will use what ever i tell him i want. so the question is has anyone ever used and south bend stage 2 daily or endurance or a sachs vr6 kit in one of these? if so what were the results? the clutch is the only thing i'm waiting on to get the swap done and hopefully y'all can be of some assistance.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I got 13K miles on my Valeo clutch kit and Malone stage 1.5 tune. No issues so far regarding the clutch but maybe someone with more miles can chime in.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
Tikal, you pretty much have it correct. You will need the needle bearing for the end of the crank. All conversion parts for the 5 speed can be found in the junkyard (pedals, linkage, hydraulic line for clutch, axles from 2000 up).
You have to make your own wiring connections. Under the dash it is all for the clutch (for the interlock and cruise) which Bentley maual will show you which wires have to go where. The only wires in the engine bay are for the back up lights to work.

It is a lot of fun to drive. I put some LRR 15" tires and rims on and my MPG around town has jumped to 34 from 32. Could possibly be better if I could keep my foot out of it :D

I have a couple of conversions I am working on will be up for sale soon.
Thread revival as I learn about gear ratios and such. curious as to why the MPG would have gone up with 15" wheels and tires? What were on it before?

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Skinny 15" tires have lower rolling resistance than big, wide low profile 16 or 17" tires. Car probably came with 205/55-16's originally.

195/65-15's were the stock rubber on 1.8T base cars, the wheels are pretty easy to find.
Also on the Passat GL's, correct? I was thinking of finding a set for use with snow tires, when I get my car.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
The passat GL's are all 1.8T's. The V6 and TDI models were only available in GLS or higher trim levels.
Pretty sure there were GL's in the B5.5 TDIs. Among other things, no leather (faux leather with pinholes), no sunroof, steel wheels with hubcaps.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
No the TDI was available as GL. Those came sans sunroof, alloy wheels, and fog lamps. There was one on the lot when I bought my 2005. They had plastic hubcaps. That model listed I believe at like 22,500 IIRC.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure there were GL's in the B5.5 TDIs. Among other things, no leather (faux leather with pinholes), no sunroof, steel wheels with hubcaps.
I just started a new thread to try to clear it up, and not further hijack or clutter up this thread. Thanks!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Some Gl's also have cloth seats

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
5th is similar but the FHN is 3.44 ring and pinion. That's why it's 2450 at 80-much preferred-get it. 250 extra RPM will wear on you at steady interstate speeds I went through all this in my B4s-.686 then .658 then .622. Go high.These diesels can take it especially with a tune. Your MPG might not be much different,but the noise reduction in the cab is well worth it.

2600-2700rpm @80mph is pretty close.

If you are hoping to gain major economy with gearing, you are setting yourself up for some dissapointment...

Mileage will change very little with any of the mentioned diesel transmissions, they are all within 10% overall. It still takes exactly the same amount of energy to propel a car down the road regardless of the gear ratio. The best you can hope to save is the amount of extra friction or loss of volumetric efficiency caused by the higher rpm. The added friction from 200-300rpm is probably negligable. I have tried driving in 4th gear and the MFA shows very little increase in consumption.

My current "lifetime" average is 6.0l/100km or 39.2mpg(US), mostly secondary roads (60mph) and ~25% city. I am having a hard time keeping my foot out of it, it is a very fun car to drive... I'm quite sure economy could be better if I drove it like a sane person, but it still doubles the mileage of my previous mazda 6 3.0 driven under the same conditions and has more power to boot. I am overjoyed!

I don't think I would stress out about finding the ultimate tall gearset, everything that exists has been mentioned here, there are no taller final or 5th gears than the .68 and 3.44. Just get a 5 speed in the thing you'll love it. I find the engine happier at higher revs anyway. Seems to love running about 2500, much smoother and quieter than 2000.
Agreed. I was just looking for a gearbox which would match the auto GMR in 5th gear and the FHN/GGB does that. And yes these cars are fun to drive with a manual.
I am looking into this issue. The car I am getting has a 5 speed with a DVZ gearbox already installed. There will be some work done to the car and it will be apart. While it is apart, I am wondering about either trying to put a taller 5th in to the DVZ, or get a FHN or GGB gearbox and put that in. Or, just run it as it is. I am used to higher revving gas motors, and do not think that between 2500 and 3000 at 80 MPH would seem that excessive to me if fuel economy is not really affected as I am reading here. But, maybe it is different with turbo diesels. Thoughts?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
DVZ is from a 6 cyl gasser

ShaneShelley234

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 5 speed manual (DVZ)
Anyone have the DVZ ratio's handy as I am looking at going this way, at least for the short term, as these are avialable and I need my Passat back on the road or get something else.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
13.5021.9431.3040.9450.79FD3.70

On my first conversion I used the DVZ to get all the bugs out. It works fine. For the DVZ at 2000 RPM you are going 50-51MPH vs 63-64 with the FHN. DUK is around 59-60.