What's it worth?

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Mk IV TDI Jetta, 1999, with 160,000 km five speed. Without seeing it in person, but Bob at Grand River Brewing says it has been "well-maintained", I told him $4500 was at the top range. Thoughts and opinions are solicited thanks.
On another note, what is the fender rust warranty period? I noticed the dreaded bubbling today. Cambridge VW is my local dealer but having a post about it refusing someone else, any other places to take it to would be appreciated knowing about.
Cheers.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Fred warranty on your MY 2001 is 10 year unlimited rust PERFORATION, meaning must be a hole in the panel somewhere.

Canoehack

TDI
2008 Toyota Fortuner
I had my fenders done two years ago (covered under warranty) and they had only bubbling no holes, the dealer Cederbrae is no longer around. I would try and get it done regardless.

good luck

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I'm the one that got refused, two winters ago. The hole was big enough to fit a small fist throught it. They claimed it was neglect.....I told them to F&ck thenselves.

Unless the exterrior is in a bad shape, $4500 is not the top for a low mileage TDI. For $4500, a good condition, well maintained TDI would sell in a heart beat.

stoutguru

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
I had my fenders done under waranty last year. I took it to Cambridge. It is not the dealers decision if it's waranty. It is VW Canada's decision. The dealer will take pictures and send them off to VW Canada for approval.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
It's partially dealer's call if they want to be a-holes about it. They can simply refuse to do the work. If you are looking to get the fenders done, I'd suggest trying Georgetown VW. Bit of a drive, but you'll get better customer service there.

As for the value of the car, are you buying or selling? According to Autotrader, there are only two cars, and they are at both ends of the spectrum. I'd say that 4-5 might be reasonable for the car. Check to see if the timing belt has been done. If not, drop the price as the car is a ticking time bomb at 160000 km with original belt, and it'll cost some cash to have it done.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
mine is bubbling, minor, but I did see it.

as for the car, I am neither buying nor selling, just asking for the proprietor of Grand River Brewing who is thinking of buying; I told him the say thing John, check for timing belt and maintenance record (what kind of oil is especially important) and added that 160K over ten years is just broken in...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
TDIFred said:
mine is bubbling, minor, but I did see it.

as for the car, I am neither buying nor selling, just asking for the proprietor of Grand River Brewing who is thinking of buying; I told him the say thing John, check for timing belt and maintenance record (what kind of oil is especially important) and added that 160K over ten years is just broken in...
As long as it's an aproved oil, it doesn't really matter. At least it didn't for me. I've been running mine on Motomaster Diesel (that comes in a 20L pail at Canadian Tire) for almost 280 000km (has 480 000km), with very un frequent oil changes and the inside of the engine is spotless. No sludge build up anywhere, turbo is still original with no shaft play. BUT I commute 50 000km/year so maybe that's part of the reason it stays clean. Maybe this is different if it's mostly city driving.