Volkswagen Touareg TDI tows a Boeing 747

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI Diesel Tows Boeing 747

A Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI diesel has succeeded in towing a Boeing 747 weighing approximately 155 tonnes. Watched by engineers, Volkswagen personnel and bemused passers-by, the Touareg V10 TDI completed seven complete runs on the auxiliary runway at Dunsfold Aerodrome, 40 miles south west of London.
The vehicle was a standard production Touareg fitted with a special towing adaptor to connect it with the aircraft towing link and loaded with 4.3 tonnes of metal ballast to bring its total weight to just over seven tonnes (7,030 kg) including the driver, an engineer from the technical department at the company’s headquarters in Germany.
The Touareg’s engine, self-levelling air suspension, wheels, tyres and structure were all standard. Changes to the outer body panels were made for photographic purposes, so that the vehicle was visually the same as the next generation Touareg which is due to be launched next year.
Although an initial trial used an operational Boeing 747-400 weighing 190 tonnes, this aircraft was not available for this attempt. In its place, an ex-British Airways Boeing 747-200 weighing 155 tonnes was used. The aircraft, first flown in 1980 and retired last year retains its full complement of 500 seats, 11 toilets and complete landing gear, albeit without an operating braking system. The original engines were removed last year to make way for dummy items used in the filming of a recent motion picture. Despite this, the aircraft still weighs 155 tonnes.
Conditions for the attempt were far from perfect. A strong headwind combined with torrential rain and resulting standing water prompted concerns over traction on the wet surface. Despite the scale of the attempt the vehicle needed little preparation. The engine was warmed up before a brief visual inspection of the tyres prior to the attempt being given the green light.
The Touareg’s standard towbar (fitted with an adapted towing bracket) was hooked up to the nose wheel collar of a Boeing 747 and the chocks were removed. The driver selected ‘drive’ and the low ratio, second gear setting on the Touareg’s six-speed gearbox. The required tractive effort is at its highest during the initial pull to overcome the static friction of the aircraft tyres on the runway. Flatspots form on the aircraft’s 18 tyres under the 155 tonnes of weight and additional resistance must be overcome to get the aircraft rolling.
The driver pressed the accelerator around halfway down in second gear before easing off as the aircraft gained momentum. With no visible loss of traction the Touareg began dragging the 70m (231 ft) 747 along the runway, maintaining an even 5mph in the process. Having covered an estimated 150 metres the driver eased back on the throttle before slowly engaging the Touareg’s brakes to slow both the vehicle and the aircraft to a stop.
After the attempt the driver commented: ‘I was a bit disappointed we couldn’t find something heavier to tow as it was a bit too easy! If anyone could lend us a heavier aircraft then please let us know.’
The vehicle was checked after the repeated runs and no side effects of the demands made on the engine and transmission could be found. The engine temperature remained normal, as did the transmission and the tyres survived without a hint of the forces passed through them.
The attempt was designed to demonstrate the reserves of strength and durability of the Touareg V10 TDI diesel. Dean Sheed, Volkswagen General Manager for New Zealand, was not surprised at the Touareg’s success: “Anyone who has driven a Touareg with the V10 TDI diesel engine and experienced its 750Nm of torque will understand its immense towing capability. The high torque levels offered by TDI diesel engines give the Touareg equally impressive performance both on and off the road.”

http://www.car.co.nz/newsevents.asp?articleid=13044

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
just a stunt. Most aircraft tugs used at the airport I worked for had tiny 2 and 3-cylinder detroit diesels.

Anyone could probably complete this stunt with any vehicle that has an automatic transmission.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
car 54 said:
just a stunt. Most aircraft tugs used at the airport I worked for had tiny 2 and 3-cylinder detroit diesels.

Anyone could probably complete this stunt with any vehicle that has an automatic transmission.
Ya, it would have been a lot more fun to wind the T-reg up to 50 miles an hour and then stomp on the brakes and see how well it stopped 155 tons :D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
car 54 said:

But not with a manual tranny?

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
But the aircraft tugs are designed to do this kind of work a t-reg isn't, show me an aircraft tug that you would want to drive around town.

Acidhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
BleachedBora said:
The driver pressed the accelerator around halfway down in second gear before easing off as the aircraft gained momentum. With no visible loss of traction the Touareg began dragging the 70m (231 ft) 747 along the runway, maintaining an even 5mph in the process.
Well starting off in SECOND gear....tow something it wasn't designed to do impresses me. Now if I only convince the "wifey" it's okay to spend $70,000 on a SUV.

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
car 54 said:

Somehow....the three speed automatic in my 1990 Jetta would not be up to the task :D

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
With low enough gearing, a 40cc 2-stroke from a string trimmer could tow a 747. Not very fast, mind you, but any engine can be geared to tow any load. With a lever large enough, you can move a world.

The part that shocked me was all the extra ballast added to the T-reg. 7,030 kg!? How did the suspension hold up to that in stock form?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I'd like to see the T-reg push me back when loaded...380+ tons (metric) converted 836,000 lbs.

The tugs that push the 747 are as big as they get. I would guess 60,000 lbs even then we have to have the #4 hydraulic system pressurized to help steer and have a backup for braking.

Cool stunt.
DB

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
Sig Dawg said:
But the aircraft tugs are designed to do this kind of work a t-reg isn't, show me an aircraft tug that you would want to drive around town.
I wish I had a pic,..... an old Navy "Budda", 20 ft long, 10 ft wide, 6 ft high at the seat and 12,000 lbs. Powered by an International 406 V-8, Allison 4 spd on 6 ft tires, top speed.... 32 mph.

Used to be used to tow Navy P-3's. No, not the biggest, but in bright Navy ground support yellow, I'd bet it would command some attention on the street!

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Drivbiwire said:
I'd like to see the T-reg push me back when loaded...380+ tons (metric) converted 836,000 lbs.

DB
What kind of HP or lbs of thrust does that take, 200,000 hp 500,000 lbs thrust?

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Gone...but not forgotten)
Apparently, that 747 was the same one that is in the background of the show TopGear. Its also interesting that the 747 was the basis of the mock-up for a "recent" movie. Looking at the "twin engine" setup, it looks like its the jet from the new Bond movie. Maybe the new series in January will include a video, too bad the Stig didn't do the driving!

Link

Link

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Sig Dawg said:
What kind of HP or lbs of thrust does that take, 200,000 hp 500,000 lbs thrust?
747's generally have anywhere from 212,000-250,000 lbs of thrust.

HP does not relate well to thrust because of varying degrees of fan/core efficiency.

DB

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Despite the comments on gearing, I still think this is impressive. How many other manufacturers have tried this?

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Tourag pulling 747

I wonder what is the point in such pulling exhibition. This demonstration does not or will not translate in higher sales for Volkswagen. Consumer will buy vehicles that that economical, practical and cheap to maintain. Unfortunately, Tourag TDI does not fall in this category. Its MSRP is over $60,000 thereby limiting its purchase attractiveness especially when there are plenty of gas alternative with much more options, quality, and performance (such as Lexus RX 350 or even 450h). Regarding performance, I have read that it lacks mid-range punch. Fuel economic is not that great between 10-15 mpg. Reliability is also questionable.

Last edited:

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Dodoma said:
Consumer will buy vehicles that that economical, practical and cheap to maintain. Unfortunately, Tourag TDI does not fall in this category.
Fuel economic is not that great between 10-15 mpg.
I shouldn't bother responding to your post.
Not all people buy cars that fit into your little catagories, and the sticker
says MPG on the V10 is 17-23. That's about what the RX 350 gets with
half the engine of the Touareg. The V10TDI is a niche car to compete with
Land Rover, Cayenne, etc.

Last edited:

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
It's cool from the engineering perspective. But from the marketing perspective, it may show that most people don't have any need for this vehicle.:)

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Once rolling, almost any mid sized engine on a platform with enought weight to keep rubber to asphalt contact could pull this thing. What is impressive is its ability to get it started.. Static vs. Kinetic friction.

If you want to impress me, stomp on it and do it like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge commercials did with the trucks and trailers. :cool:

Leave plenty of room for braking tho....;)

Any word on the offering of the 5 cylinder Toureg here in the US. ?

Last edited:

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
But from the marketing perspective, it may show that most people don't have any need for this vehicle.
unless you really like your current house but would prefer it in a different location........

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
car 54 said:

Well, at the airport I work at, they move Wide body aircraft (DC10/MD11/A310/747) around with 125,000 pound tugs, with V12 Detroit Diesle engines.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Well, during a pushback of a fully loaded 47, it may weigh up to 885,000 lbs. Add in the engine thrust during pushback. A 60,000 lb tug is inadequate. Only for the dumb or foolhardy. The tug for foul weather has dual cummins diesel,s. Weighs well over 150,000 lbs.....And if you step on the brakes in a corner, the aircraft will snap the towbar, and push you quickly out of the way......But, pulling them on fully inflated tires, and a nice level starting area....we managed it with 100 out of shape airline employees in a stunt for publicity. Once it is moving, momentum is everything, and not a great deal of input was required for continued movement.

Interesting stunt, and I love the diesels...but it is only a stunt, and proves little of the machines ability to tow.

Towing an aircraft at great weights is an art....even with the right machines. I have an AME, and A and P licences, I have worked almost exclusivley on Jumbos since 1987. The steering during towing is disconnected.....body gear steering will help, but this during forward motion in turns less than 30 degrees it is insignificant.

Craig

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
My inner 14-year-old loves it when they pull stunts like this! (And my outer 49-year-old appreciates that nothing was blown up or set on fire.)

The point isn't to make a rational statement, it's to catapult the Touareg into the popular consciousness as a capable vehicle. Matters not that the capability is of no practical value. Look at Hummer sales for proof... the world in general and everyone who shares the US roads with them in particular woudl be far better off if those bozos had all bought Touaregs.

Now, when do we get to see a TDI drag-race a jet? ;) I bet the TDI would show well up to 60-80 mph...

Eddy