Status hearing w/ Judge is F 12/16 - check this link for transcript of meeting

2014 Wagen

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Quick question: RE: 2012 or older being bought back. I understand that the early 3.0 buyback isn't official but is more or less corroborated by VW. Any sources to put the line at the 2012 and older model years being bought back?

I have dug around but can't find a clear definition of the old non-fixable cars.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Cannot imagine why you're crapping on the lawyers. The lawyers are the only thing standing between VW cramming a crappy deal down the throats of we 3.0 owners. They are our best friends in this mess. The government, the court, VW all serve their own interests. The lawyers protect ours.
And this isn't rockets science to figure out why it hasn't been worked out by now:
VW: We refuse to buy back the 3.0s after 2011. We can fix them.
Class counsel: Bull****. You still don't have a fix for the 2.0. Any settlement for the 3.0 must have a buyback option.
VW: Trust us.
Class counsel: Ummmm....no.
Court: Keep trying.
Bird, you're a wise man. But I think the government and the court are both on our side, too.

The government is telling VW: Your cars violate our environment rules, and they can't stay on the road like this. This is the basis for a buyback or fix.

The court is telling VW: What you did is intolerable and this needs to be solved as soon as possible.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Quick question: RE: 2012 or older being bought back. I understand that the early 3.0 buyback isn't official but is more or less corroborated by VW. Any sources to put the line at the 2012 and older model years being bought back?

I have dug around but can't find a clear definition of the old non-fixable cars.
These were referred to as Gen 1 in the CARB documents. It's the CATA engine code, the V6 TDI from 2009-2012 in the US.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The government portion of the 3.0 settlement was already leaked - it's 200 million. Not billions, and much smaller than the 2.0 settlement. We'll know more on Monday.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta

Look at the engine code...

LowSeas

TDI
'13 Touareg Lux - Cool Silver
For those of you hoping for a buy back option (me included), what are your plans if the result of the weekend sessions are no buy back (for '12 and newer)? Will you decline compensation and strike out on your own for a lawsuit vs just taking what they give you and the fix?

Personally, I am confused how even with a fix, how VW doesn't acknowledge that the reputation and value of these vehicles is damaged and that it is unlikely that any offered compensation will account for that in full. The burden of the dealing with the decreased value should be on VW, not the consumer.

jlw2000

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
I could see a big $$$ check from VW and having to keep the car.

In that case, I'll cash the check -- put it towards a new car -- and sell the TDI private party. I'm sure there's a market for these, however small it may be.

That said, my trust in VW is very very low. I will have a hard time believing a 'fix' is coming, and that it will truly work. A buyback is the right thing for them to do. But I think we've all seen that the 'doing the right thing' is not VW's way.

Last edited:

LowSeas

TDI
I could see a big $$$ check from VW and having to keep the car.
In that case, I'll cash the check -- put it towards a new car -- and sell the TDI private party. I'm sure there's a market for these, however small it may be.
So do you have a number in mind that would be acceptable? For me, I would like to have $40k in vlaue for my 2013 Lux w/ 32k miles. Meaning I would be OK with no buy back option if my car is currently worth $20k and VW is going to give me a chack for $20k or some combination to get me to that number. I am not sure that is realistic though.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Anyway, hopefully the buyback and restitution values will be based on Sept 2015 values instead of Nov 2015 values.
Very crucial here. The "TDI" brand was affected in September. This valuation date is so important for determining buyback values if in fact the buyback is an option.

LowSeas

TDI
Very crucial here. The "TDI" brand was affected in September. This valuation date is so important for determining buyback values if in fact the buyback is an option.

Has anyone looked up NADA values from Sept or Nov '15 for any of the 3.0 models? I think my local library archives 2 years of the books but I am at the office today and won't be able to make it in.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
There is a huge difference indeed to determine the market value as of September or November. The cars depreciated dramatically during the period.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Yes it did, although some people used those depressed values as an excuse to move from a 2.0L to a 3.0L, and then cried foul once the EPA went public on the 3.0L cheat. Anyway, hopefully the buyback and restitution values will be based on Sept 2015 values instead of Nov 2015 values.
VW has been insisting along the way that the 3.0Ls were affected "much later" only until Nov. The steering committee must fight against this claim.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I'd be happy with a fix and $5-10K restitution, we bought ours after the scandal broke so with the vehicle value roughly double the 2.0's then double the restitution. t minus 12 minutes, going to watch the live twitter posted here earlier...

purduecrew

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
I'd be happy with a fix and $5-10K restitution, we bought ours after the scandal broke so with the vehicle value roughly double the 2.0's then double the restitution. t minus 12 minutes, going to watch the live twitter posted here earlier...
Sorry to be so dense but can you post that twitter feed link again for me please?

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
Another bust!

Lawyers asking for a continuance to tomorrow at 11 PST. I guess lawyers not in courtroom should have been a sign!

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Haysuess Effing Christo! Will this ever end???? Now we get to wait until 11am tomorrow! That had better be it!

jlw2000

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
Absolutely not. That would be a royal screwing.

jlw2000

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
P.S. I'm so mad at VW right now. I will never ever consider any VAG product again. A disgrace how this is playing out.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
VW has been insisting along the way that the 3.0Ls were affected "much later" only until Nov. The steering committee must fight against this claim.
Among we posters on the 3.0 claim, I hope you are all contacting the steering committee exhorting them to hold firm on these important points. There must be a buyback option, and it must be based on the pre-September values - because forcing us to rely on VW to come up with a fix that won't tank performance/efficiency/longevity is a sell-out.

You can reach steering committee at info@vwclasscounsel.com

Marissa Oh: moh@lchb.com

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
Lawyers did not want to give up their weekend! :rolleyes:

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
from @PatrickMcGee_, "the parties have jointly requested a "final continuance" to tomorrow at 11 PST.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. "Final." Good one, Judge Breyer. I bet you're also "optimistic of resolution" and admire the "extraordinary coordination among the parties." You think maybe you might order them to prepare for trial instead of jerking us all around, day after day?

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Among we posters on the 3.0 claim, I hope you are all contacting the steering committee exhorting them to hold firm on these important points. There must be a buyback option, and it must be based on the pre-September values - because forcing us to rely on VW to come up with a fix that won't tank performance/efficiency/longevity is a sell-out.

You can reach steering committee at info@vwclasscounsel.com

Marissa Oh: moh@lchb.com
Will absolutely do that!