Stripping the Turn Ins

durundal

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Candy White/Pure Beige, DSG, panoramic roof, rear side airbags
Does anyone know off the top of their head if the 12V > 120V converter is an easy item to isolate and remove?
I looked into this (but haven't pulled it yet) and it looks like yes, there are a couple screws on the back of the console that hold it in and then it just goes to a connector that leads back to the 30A fuse. In other trims it's not there, just a cupholder or something so the bolts are visible: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/parking-brake-adjustment-or-removal-mk5-vw/

Looks like just a little cover panel over the two screws on the inverter panel as per here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5159456-OEM-115v-AC-outlet-for-MKV-Rabbit-GTI-and-Jetta

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
That stinks. Thanks for the answer!
Why do you think you'll need it?

If the Mazda connectivity is proprietary they'll have their own cable (that should come with the car) but more than likely it'll be USB. Your iPod will work without VW's MDI adapter. The 30pin connector on your iPod will connect at the other end to whatever input Mazda uses.

If for some reason you no longer have your stock Apple cable
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MA591G/C/apple-30-pin-to-usb-cable

let me know because I have a bunch of unopened ones in my garage. I also have a 30pin to 3.5mm output that I had someone from HeadFi make me for a portable amp years ago. I don't need any of those cables or adapters anymore.

I have extra MDI cables, too, if anyone needs them. The 2016 VW's use USB and CarPlay finally.

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw
Anyone is Southern California want to sell me their spare tire? I'm thinking about selling my aftermarket wheels and tires so looking for 3, preferably in Orange County or northern San Diego.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I have one spare and I also have a set of four tires and wheels I would let go inexpensively.

I'll be in OC on Friday.

nutfinn

TDI
2012 Jetta
Funny, how people talking about ethics here :) VW was not thinking about ethics, now were they. :(

Last edited:

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
mine is probably going back with no radio. i have a nice aftermarket pioneer unit and i dont want to part with it, and i dont have the stocker to go back in.

thanksimgruven

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I looked into this (but haven't pulled it yet) and it looks like yes, there are a couple screws on the back of the console that hold it in and then it just goes to a connector that leads back to the 30A fuse. In other trims it's not there, just a cupholder or something so the bolts are visible: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/parking-brake-adjustment-or-removal-mk5-vw/
Looks like just a little cover panel over the two screws on the inverter panel as per here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5159456-OEM-115v-AC-outlet-for-MKV-Rabbit-GTI-and-Jetta
oh wow, that thing is mine! very nice, and, mine doesn't have a green l.e.d. light pretty sure, so even easier. Either way, strikes me as a good unit to have. Thanks for the info!

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Funny, how people talking about ethics here :) VW was not thinking about ethics, now were they. :(
No, but that doesn't make stripping the car any more or less ethical. If they truly are going to a crusher, then that adjusts the ethical pendulum in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
No, but that doesn't make stripping the car any more or less ethical. If they truly are going to a crusher, then that adjusts the ethical pendulum in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

And as of yet we know nothing. They may repair 2009 cars with multiple issues, or they may crush my 2015 when I turn it back in.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Doing the right thing is always right regardless of what someone else may or may not have done. Doing something other than right because . . . is called situational ethics.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
So lets say I trade my LED OEM headlights for halogen's plus cash. Is that unethical as the car will probably never be put back on the road?
Since the LED headlights didn't show up as an option on the vw spec sheet for pricing.
I could see me trading my OEM navigation unit as it was there, or my speakers, but since the headlights weren't listed I'm guessing they assume there might have been a fender bender and headlight damage who knows.

nutfinn

TDI
2012 Jetta
Eye for an eye, I probably won't be the 1st one turning mine in. I will read the intel from here and see how things go. If it does not matter, everything that comes off easy will be taken off and sold to a highest bidder. I will not loose a sleep over it, you can.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I'd guess the logic behind which options are listed and which aren't is much simpler--they're going with the options that have value adjustments in the NADA guide.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
And my ethics are not dependent on what VW or anyone else does. I can remember my mother saying, when we were young, "Just because X jumps off the river bridge, would you do it?" In this case, does one bad turn deserve another?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Regardless of what anyone did in the past, the settlement, like all settlements resolving litigation, is intended to redress all bona fide grievances that any party has had. Going forward, action in good faith by all parties is expected.

And if you could not live with that, you should have opted out.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Doing the right thing is always right regardless of what someone else may or may not have done. Doing something other than right because . . . is called situational ethics.
Good point, and I agree wholeheartedly.

How about this scenario:

My head unit died a couple years back and it was out of warranty. I bought an aftermarket Kenwood that cost me about $1000, since the comparable stock one is overpriced at like $1500.

I have been planning to replace this with the one that died before turning the car in, but now I am having second thoughts.

Questions:

1. Is placing the dead head unit back in the car unethical?

2. Will VW dock my settlement total for doing so?

Re: #1, I assume most will say this is NOT unethical. But if VW plans to resell the car, they will need to replace the head unit and that devalues what I am giving them.

Re: #2, I have been going on the understanding that the only requirement for a valid turn-in is that the car is "drivable". However, recently people have gotten emails and had discussions with dealers about "inspections" before getting their final payout figure. In addition, the numbers we have been relying on are not cast in stone.

I realize this has been discussed before, and many will say you can strip the car to bare bones if you like, but I am wondering if it is even worth it to swap the head unit since 1) it will not fit either of my new VWs and they both will have a good head unit themselves, 2) selling this privately would be a bit of a hassle for me, and 3) uninstalling it would be a chore as well, as this ties to the steering wheel controls, phone jack, GPS, and rear view camera. I almost think it would be better to just leave it in and not worry about it.

That said, if this car is headed to the crusher soon, why not crush a dead head unit instead of a perfectly good one?

I realize this is a lot of unknowns I am raising, but does anyone have any light to be shed on this or any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I think removing an aftermarket non-stock part and replacing with the original part is fine, even if the original has failed.

But replacing superior lighting equipment that originally came with the car with inferior substitutes isn't.

And outright removal of original equipment to be replaced with nothing totally bad, especially if the equipment removed is considered parts necessary for the legal operation of the vehicle.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I think removing an aftermarket non-stock part and replacing with the original part is fine, even if the original has failed.

But replacing superior lighting equipment that originally came with the car with inferior substitutes isn't.

And outright removal of original equipment to be replaced with nothing totally bad, especially if the equipment removed is considered parts necessary for the legal operation of the vehicle.
I like those guidelines. Well stated. :cool:

The practical side for me is important too. I believe I read they will not pay extra for aftermarket replacements, so then removing them and replacing with the original seems not only ethical, but wise. I would prefer they boost my payout a bit and leave it in the car, but...

Last edited:

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I think some of you people are taking this ethical stuff too far.

No one knows what VW is going to do with these cars. There is NO fix available for any of them as of now, including the ones they still have on their stop sale. If they can't " Fix " them, they have to destroy them. Sure they may be able to strip the cars themselves and sell off body panels and transmissions and so on, but you really think they will do that? I Don't. I think they will park these cars for a while and see if they can come up with a fix and then apply the fix to the cars that have low enough miles and condition to be sold as a CPO car. And even then I have my doubts they will do that. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to find out they simply sent all these cars straight to the crusher.

But back to ethics...

Bottom line is this. Your VW whatever ( jetta, Bug, Passat ) is YOURS. Key word, YOURS! You can do anything you want to with it. You can take off the headlights, take off body panels, remove the radio, take out the seats, swap out rims and tires, etc..... Anything you want. Spray paint the car, drag race the car, take it off roading, take a crap in the trunk, etc.... Its YOUR car afterall.

The ethics thing comes into play in the fact that VW is offering to buyback the car and is offering money based on clean trade in value as of sept 2015. Some here believe that obviously, if the car was missing the hood and trunklid, lights, doors and seats, and was spray painted and rolling on 4 spare tires.... The car would obviously not be in " Clean " trade in condition. But I look at it differently. They are basing the amount of money you will get for the car on clean trade in value, but they are not basing that on your car actually being in the condition that constitutes " Clean Trade "............... Matter of fact, the only condition they are stipulating is the car just be able to move under its own 2.0 TDI power. If they expect a working radio, or the upgraded headlights, or the OEM wheels and tires, etc.... they would have had a much more detailed description of what condition the car would need to be in and the inspection process etc... at time of turn in. If you stop and think about it, it would open a can of worms if they had people assigning value to the cars based on actual condition at turn in. I believe that is why they just decided to spare the drama and just make the only requirement that the car be able to move on its own.

Bottom line is it is YOUR car. The fancy headlights you paid extra for, they are YOURS, not VW's. Every single nut and bolt and piece of steel glass and plastic on that car is YOURS. VW is offering to buy back YOUR car and their only requirement is that the car be able to move under its own power. What they do with the car after you hand them the keys and they had you a check is their business and their problem, not yours. If you feel better about yourself that your turning in YOUR car and it is in pristine condition, freshly washed and waxed, freshly serviced and topped off with a full tank of diesel, by all means... feel good about yourself! But if someone else wants to turn in their car with no radio, some dents and dings, hasn't seen soap in a year, running on fumes, and half the lights on the dash are lit up, thats fine too.

I have already said that for me, I don't know if its worth my time to take crap off my cars before I take them back to VW. I don't know if I could easily and quickly sell stuff I removed and or if I could really get enough money to make it worth my time. And I for sure wouldn't do anything radical like spray paint my car or remove parts etc... till the buy back has started and we know no new provisions haven't been placed on the cars actual condition. That and going to the dealer first and checking in with the buyback people to ask directly if car is missing panels or seats or whatever will that be a problem.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE

No one knows what VW is going to do with these cars. There is NO fix available for any of them as of now, including the ones they still have on their stop sale. If they can't " Fix " them, they have to destroy them. Sure they may be able to strip the cars themselves and sell off body panels and transmissions and so on, but you really think they will do that? I Don't. I think they will park these cars for a while and see if they can come up with a fix and then apply the fix to the cars that have low enough miles and condition to be sold as a CPO car. And even then I have my doubts they will do that. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to find out they simply sent all these cars straight to the crusher.

But back to ethics...

Bottom line is this. Your VW whatever ( jetta, Bug, Passat ) is YOURS. Key word, YOURS! You can do anything you want to with it. You can take off the headlights, take off body panels, remove the radio, take out the seats, swap out rims and tires, etc..... Anything you want. Spray paint the car, drag race the car, take it off roading, take a crap in the trunk, etc.... Its YOUR car afterall.

The ethics thing comes into play in the fact that VW is offering to buyback the car and is offering money based on clean trade in value as of sept 2015. Some here believe that obviously, if the car was missing the hood and trunklid, lights, doors and seats, and was spray painted and rolling on 4 spare tires.... The car would obviously not be in " Clean " trade in condition. But I look at it differently. They are basing the amount of money you will get for the car on clean trade in value, but they are not basing that on your car actually being in the condition that constitutes " Clean Trade "............... Matter of fact, the only condition they are stipulating is the car just be able to move under its own 2.0 TDI power. If they expect a working radio, or the upgraded headlights, or the OEM wheels and tires, etc.... they would have had a much more detailed description of what condition the car would need to be in and the inspection process etc... at time of turn in. If you stop and think about it, it would open a can of worms if they had people assigning value to the cars based on actual condition at turn in. I believe that is why they just decided to spare the drama and just make the only requirement that the car be able to move on its own.

Bottom line is it is YOUR car. The fancy headlights you paid extra for, they are YOURS, not VW's. Every single nut and bolt and piece of steel glass and plastic on that car is YOURS. VW is offering to buy back YOUR car and their only requirement is that the car be able to move under its own power. What they do with the car after you hand them the keys and they had you a check is their business and their problem, not yours. If you feel better about yourself that your turning in YOUR car and it is in pristine condition, freshly washed and waxed, freshly serviced and topped off with a full tank of diesel, by all means... feel good about yourself! But if someone else wants to turn in their car with no radio, some dents and dings, hasn't seen soap in a year, running on fumes, and half the lights on the dash are lit up, thats fine too.

I have already said that for me, I don't know if its worth my time to take crap off my cars before I take them back to VW. I don't know if I could easily and quickly sell stuff I removed and or if I could really get enough money to make it worth my time. And I for sure wouldn't do anything radical like spray paint my car or remove parts etc... till the buy back has started and we know no new provisions haven't been placed on the cars actual condition. That and going to the dealer first and checking in with the buyback people to ask directly if car is missing panels or seats or whatever will that be a problem.
That made me laugh. I have this vision of someone who on their TDI's last drive to surrender it at the dealer stops at a barn. Then they fill the trunk and back seat with horse poop as a big **** FU to VW.

I wouldn't do that. But it will be interesting to hear the stories of the TDI's that are turned in over the next 6 months.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
EPA/CARB ain't going to let VW reduce the buyback amounts on these cars- They want the cars off the road or fixed, and reductions in the already agreed buyback amount ain't gonna help accomplish that. And from a practical point of view, VW is going to be stuck with 300,000 or so buyback cars, and at best the market can only absorb 100,000 a year, and that only if there are no new TDIs or affordable diesel cars (Cruze diesel) to compete with. So reality is, most of these cars if not all will get scrapped, so go ahead and strip them. But there'll be such a glut of buyback TDIs at the scrapyards that most of the parts other than wheels and such won't be worth pulling.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgiveness for minor defects is not license to create defects.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

But back to ethics...

Yeah and you could annoy the person doing the buy-back and they could reject your car. Sure maybe you get your money in 6 months or so but then you will have been driving a stripped car for 6 months. Seems foolish to do something just to do it. I mean I guess I could trade my 17 inch wheels for someones 16 inch wheels and cash. But if you start taking out seats and such nonsense if your deal gets held up you only have yourself to blame.

I mean we have already basically won a small lottery award. I see no reason to do anything to the car to make it less than stock.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
We haven't won anything; we are being compensated for the fraud committed against us...
And barely compensated at that... :rolleyes:
Yeah, basically getting a refund on my purchase price for driving the car for 5 years is really sucking. I feel so violated. I guess I should demand a pony as well.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah and you could annoy the person doing the buy-back and they could reject your car. Sure maybe you get your money in 6 months or so but then you will have been driving a stripped car for 6 months. Seems foolish to do something just to do it. I mean I guess I could trade my 17 inch wheels for someones 16 inch wheels and cash. But if you start taking out seats and such nonsense if your deal gets held up you only have yourself to blame.

I mean we have already basically won a small lottery award. I see no reason to do anything to the car to make it less than stock.
I'm thinking of putting the winter wheels on mine and keeping the stock rims and Michelin Summer performance tires I bought a couple years back. That shouldn't affect this, correct? One of the stock rims is warped, but they are way better than the cheap Chinese ones I got from TireRack. And at 17" over 16", they will make much better winter wheels.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Yeah, basically getting a refund on my purchase price for driving the car for 5 years is really sucking. I feel so violated. I guess I should demand a pony as well.
The Judge's order specified "Fair market value, plus substantial compensation for fraud." If your specific instance leads you to believe that's what this deal offers; then I am happy for you and your opinion is noted.

Your specific instance does not, however, negate the many others who do not feel that way, so the sarcastic response to my opinion is unnecessary...

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Although I won't be stripping my car, Gyroron's points are pretty convincing. So in his honor I've snagged the first aid kit and will rebrand it as a MINI Cooper unofficial first aid pack!