What's gonna go down on Tuesday?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/business/volkswagen-settlement-diesel-scandal.html

Nothing particularly new, but, 'The cash compensation offered to each car owner will range from $5,100 to $10,000, depending on their market value before Volkswagen’s public admission last September that its supposed “clean diesel” cars had been deliberately designed to cheat on air-quality tests.'

I believe the number figure includes the buy-back.

Since I have a 2009, I assume I'll be very close to the $5,100 figure. For that, I think I'd just keep choking out the asthmatic kids. :-/ Don't think I'd be able reliably to get a comparable vehicle for that amount.
One thing that has been consistent from the beginning is that there will be some cash compensation independent and in addition to a buyback or fix. While everyone should bare in mind that all these reports are premature to the official court filing and should not be highly regarded, the NYTimes is the worst source to get any reliable information from given their history of journalistic inaccuracies.

sbh1973

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
There really is no limit to what Volkswagen can endure financially. It does $220 billion in sales each year and has large cash reserves and plenty of assets to sell. More importantly, Volkswagen is a German national good. If the US government wouldn't let GM go under, the German government, which is far more comfortable with intervening in the economy, surely won't let VW go under. They basically have unlimited funds to handle this.

yeah this is the biggest reason causing me to seriously consider selling back. Plus long term viability for VW. They haven't even begun to deal with the bigger problem outside No. America. Money does not grow on trees. There is a limit to all this that one company can endure. The question I have is where does it all end? At chapter 11? No one in the public knows.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...whew...finally a break for me to refill my bucket of popcorn.

You guys sound like the Golden Girls playing bridge...:D

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
There really is no limit to what Volkswagen can endure financially. It does $220 billion in sales each year and has large cash reserves and plenty of assets to sell. More importantly, Volkswagen is a German national good. If the US government wouldn't let GM go under, the German government, which is far more comfortable with intervening in the economy, surely won't let VW go under. They basically have unlimited funds to handle this.
There is no such thing as "no limit." Every company has a limit. But your point is taken. VW is a *big* company. I hope big enough to endure all this. But I personally will probably not be one to make them prove it. I am about 75% on the way to deciding to sell it back.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Whenever I read the phrase "pre-scandal value" I can't help but think that the true pre-scandal value is what I paid the dealer to drive off with my car.

The scandal did not take place last year...it took place when they sold the affected cars - which in my case was August of 2013 (and in September of 2008...but the '09 was totalled so they got off the hook on that one!).

Hopefully we will actually learn something factual tomorrow!

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
...whew...finally a break for me to refill my bucket of popcorn.
You guys sound like the Golden Girls playing bridge...:D
I am glad you feel entertained. I swore I wasn't going to participate in these discussions and I haven't - up 'til now. But I am in a rare mood tonight. :p
And, BTW, Dorothy, I don't believe the GG ever played bridge. :D

sbh1973

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
VW surely has a limit in terms of what it could pay out on its own. But the German government has no effective limit in how much it could spend to save this national treasure that employs 600,000 people globally, and 300,000 in Germany alone. And if it does get involved, especially as a caretaker during a bankruptcy, it can set the terms of VW's ultimate liability, especially in Germany/Europe where it could be several times greater than in the US. Point is, VW will survive this even if costs run into the hundreds of billions.

There is no such thing as "no limit." Every company has a limit. But your point is taken. VW is a *big* company. I hope big enough to endure all this. But I personally will probably not be one to make them prove it. I am about 75% on the way to deciding to sell it back.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Whenever I read the phrase "pre-scandal value" I can't help but think that the true pre-scandal value is what I paid the dealer to drive off with my car.
The scandal did not take place last year...it took place when they sold the affected cars - which in my case was August of 2013 (and in September of 2008...but the '09 was totalled so they got off the hook on that one!).
Hopefully we will actually learn something factual tomorrow!
Tarbe, I have been MIA for years but good to see your post's again.:D Looking forward to good news tomorrow. Hopeing the best for all of us.

brettsacto

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
These days "humorous speculation" is considered late breaking news.

My biggest complaint is the "pay to play" carbon offset / zero emission BS - which the government will get - to impose more draconian environmental nonsense upon us. I'd rather that money go to the owners - namely us (and in particular - ME!). We're the ones dealing with the hassle.

Next decade - Priusgate - we didn't know batteries were toxic!

For those that expect other manufacturers / dealers to eat costs or participate in this because of some entitlement theory you have - get real. You bought from VW - you need to deal with them to work this out. Nobody else is obligated to fix VW's problems but VW.

For those crying out for environmental like you got cancer from the car - uhm... public decorum forbids me from giving you my true and exact thoughts - but it involves long walks, short piers and shark infested waters. The cars are far cleaner than their predecessors. That is the ultimate goal right? Better than the last version? Frankly if I'd have had software like this in my old racing days, I'd have been the most popular guy at the track!

I'm just anxious to get the final number, schedule the buy-back and get into a nice cushy BMW diesel. Too bad they've been blackballed - or my wife would be getting her new 2017 TDI diesel.

Here's to hoping this drama ends in time for the drama in November where we find out if Chad got hung again.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
And curiously absent for some reason is the "there will be no buybacks" crowd heh heh.......

:D

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Cancelled all my meetings and calls for tomorrow. I'll be waking up early and brewing a big pot of Kona coffee and then working from home. The day will be spent reading the VW news as it breaks and then enjoying all the dick swinging experts who will flood every thread here with their demand that they were right.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Unintended consequences run wild...

Governments tend to be poor negotiators, and while the federal treasury will probably net a few billion $$$, the EPA and CARB will probably accomplish nothing with this settlement. Heck, they may make matters worse... A lot of the "buy me out" whiners have talking of replacing their TDIs with gasser SUVs that are even worse for the environment. And given that EPA wants 85% of these TDIs "fixed" or off the road, VW will have to buy up at inflated prices barely running clunkers that speculators bought just to game the system.

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
These days "humorous speculation" is considered late breaking news.

My biggest complaint is the "pay to play" carbon offset / zero emission BS - which the government will get - to impose more draconian environmental nonsense upon us. I'd rather that money go to the owners - namely us (and in particular - ME!). We're the ones dealing with the hassle.

Next decade - Priusgate - we didn't know batteries were toxic!

For those that expect other manufacturers / dealers to eat costs or participate in this because of some entitlement theory you have - get real. You bought from VW - you need to deal with them to work this out. Nobody else is obligated to fix VW's problems but VW.

For those crying out for environmental like you got cancer from the car - uhm... public decorum forbids me from giving you my true and exact thoughts - but it involves long walks, short piers and shark infested waters. The cars are far cleaner than their predecessors. That is the ultimate goal right? Better than the last version? Frankly if I'd have had software like this in my old racing days, I'd have been the most popular guy at the track!

I'm just anxious to get the final number, schedule the buy-back and get into a nice cushy BMW diesel. Too bad they've been blackballed - or my wife would be getting her new 2017 TDI diesel.

Here's to hoping this drama ends in time for the drama in November where we find out if Chad got hung again.
ummmm...... they knew the rules and chose to devise a corporate strategy centered around the cheat.

I will throw some chum in the water before you go for your swim :)

Better than the last generation..... smh

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Cancelled all my meetings and calls for tomorrow. I'll be waking up early and brewing a big pot of Kona coffee and then working from home. The day will be spent reading the VW news as it breaks and then enjoying all the dick swinging experts who will flood every thread here with their demand that they were right.
I could say in jest that I would do this as well, but I will likely just sit back and have a normal workday, and wait for someone else to come up with the Cliff's Notes version.

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Governments tend to be poor negotiators, and while the federal treasury will probably net a few billion $$$, the EPA and CARB will probably accomplish nothing with this settlement. Heck, they may make matters worse... A lot of the "buy me out" whiners have talking of replacing their TDIs with gasser SUVs that are even worse for the environment. And given that EPA wants 85% of these TDIs "fixed" or off the road, VW will have to buy up at inflated prices barely running clunkers that speculators bought just to game the system.

You had to have owned a TDI prior to dieselgate in order to partake. No speculation...... If you bought one after the scandal broke you knew what you were getting into. You were not damaged

Chrisinla

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
'Cause you have had such a clear headed view of how this would play out, lol

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
No gasser for me. I'd rather go electric then back to a daily driver gas engine.

I can confirm that those whiners will regret if there is not a TDI option for us and they replace with gasser's. I have both 13 TDI and 16 GTI and I can tell you it pains me when I have to drive the GTI for my daily driver if my TDI is not availible. The TDI not only is the more pleasing vehicle to drive but the MPG is down right essentail. The gasser's 30 mpg drives me nuts I am so spoiled by my 42 avg tank.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol

You had to have owned a TDI prior to dieselgate in order to partake. No speculation...... If you bought one after the scandal broke you knew what you were getting into. You were not damaged
OK. What ever. Open the CAS flood gates. :confused:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
ummmm...... they knew the rules and chose to devise a corporate strategy centered around the cheat.

I will throw some chum in the water before you go for your swim :)

Better than the last generation..... smh
this is not particularly aimed at you but you non-the-less, can you please not try to make this personal/political and allow members to have a discussion without assisting this thread to follow the death spiral of it's predecessor. your smiley is noted.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
VW needs 85% compliance...

And they're not going to get that by offering nothing to the people who bought the affected TDIs after dieselgate began.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon

IMO

VW said it would be up to two years.
The dealers will do it.
But VW may be only able to do 5,000 cars a week
If you are actively in the CAS ~~ and want to stay in the CAS that's it.
If you wish to sue out of the CAS ~~ get your attorney and go get 'em
You can appeal by getting out of the CAS and getting your personal attorney.
VW does not have to do anything (PAINLESS) unless the Judge orders it.
The method of evaluation will be ordered by the Judge.
There will be thousands of owner who disagree, and need-want more
As I understand it you can sell it to VW (plus cash) or let them fix it (plus cash)
IMO GEN 1 and GEN 2 are at risk of "NO FIX"
At least the Judge has ordered VW to pay the sharks
Tomorrow is coming up fast
If it takes 2 years to sort this out, VW will leave a lot of very unhappy people in their wake.

Owners can't be expected to be put on ice because it may be inconvenient for VW to move quickly. Vehicles age, lifestyles change, people get tired of their cars. The cars are virtually impossible to sell privately so what is an owner supposed to do if he/she needs a new vehicle and is waiting on the settlement?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If it takes 2 years to sort this out, VW will leave a lot of very unhappy people in their wake.

Owners can't be expected to be put on ice and remain patient. Vehicles age, lifestyles change, people get tired of their cars. The cars are virtually impossible to sell privately so what is an owner supposed to do if he/she needs a new vehicle and is waiting on the settlement?
I would be surprised if the two year window doesn't apply strictly to the fix option. If it applies to the buyback (ex. They buyback 5,000 cars per week)...they're never going to get past this (at least not for at least two more years).

If they mess around with the buyback...you won't be able to open up a news site or blog without seeing complaints from ticked off people attempting to turn their cars in for buybacks. The smartest thing they could do is execute the buybacks promptly to get rid of dissatisfied customers.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So if the deal is $5k plus prescandal- that nets me after my note is paid about $12k cash- I'm hoping its 10k if you buy another new VW or $7500 CPO plus FMV, so I net $17k towards new or $14,500 CPO

That is about the only way they can keep me as a customer I think.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Owners can't be expected to be put on ice because it may be inconvenient for VW to move quickly. Vehicles age, lifestyles change, people get tired of their cars. The cars are virtually impossible to sell privately so what is an owner supposed to do if he/she needs a new vehicle and is waiting on the settlement?
You got the heck beat out of me

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
So if the deal is $5k plus prescandal- that nets me after my note is paid about $12k cash- I'm hoping its 10k if you buy another new VW or $7500 CPO plus FMV, so I net $17k towards new or $14,500 CPO
That is about the only way they can keep me as a customer I think.
Yup. That wouldn't surprise me a bit. If that is the case, I could see the premature news leaks backfiring for VW. Ex. People that think they're going to get $10k compensation getting $7k...unless they go for a new VW (in which case it's $10k).

The other issue is going to be negotiating a price on a new car. Are they going to take $3k off MSRP and say that's your compensation? That's not exactly doing anyone any favors when you can get that amount off one of their cars any day of the week.