What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (if you had the choice)?

• Let VW buy it back (pre-scandal value) + some compensation money.

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • Let VW fix it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Just keep driving it as is until it falls apart.

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I still want to keep my TDI. It will be a rare vehicle after most are bought back. It will be desirable again in a few years when gas is $5/gallon and no more TDI vehicles are offered by VW. I'm in for the long haul.
Better MPG on VW Diesel will 'bout never over come the extra cost OF diesel engines, and the extra cost of maintenance.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What was funny to me at my last dealer visit was seeing the 2.slows I think 13s or 14s on the lot for $11k just off leases. If you want to talk about no frills rides there's always the 2.slow VW dealers still sell.
A 2 year old car with 24k on the clock for $11Gs..hmmm
And despite my prior optimism over the Chattanooga Passat, the base versions cloth seat (aka flat bottom seat) was disappointing, made me want to run away quick to my Jetta's leatherette which is much easier to find a comfortable contoured position.

Selling a new Passat "out the door" cash price no frills (no roof, leather, steelies etc) for $22-23k with a cheap cloth seat. The salesman himself called it a "flat bottomed seat" and all I could do was laugh along with him and think of the "fat bottomed girls" song.:eek:
Hi Jeta,

Check your internet offers.

Some are "offering" $7,000 off MSRP ~ 2016 new PASSAT

MOSTLY BS on the $7,000 ~~ guessing one might get $4,000 ~ $5,000 off

the 2017s will be here soon enough

Okie

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
The '15 TDI's that have been sitting on the lots for 9 months have yet to move. IF there was a fix coming for these, the cars would have quietly started moving and the fix would have started.

My local dealer has been concetrating on used cars verses new ones. Sales guys are trying to put a spin on it that they are doing fine but it must be frustrating. VW needs to take care of their franchised dealers and turn all of this into a positive for the consumer and for them. There will be almost 500K sales opportunities here and their dealers need to have the first opportunity at those sales. TDI owners will be coming in and it will be better for people to drive out in a new VW verses walk out with a check.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
I'm hoping to get into a CPO product from any manufacturer but VW, assuming the money is right. My car has been doing a random rough idle recently (on multiple tanks of diesel from different vendors) and I'm tired of the care that TDIs require. I don't drive enough any longer to justify owning a TDI.

It's time to go back to a gas powered car. It'll most likely be a CPO 2015 C-Max.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The '15 TDI's that have been sitting on the lots for 9 months have yet to move. IF there was a fix coming for these, the cars would have quietly started moving and the fix would have started.

My local dealer has been concetrating on used cars verses new ones. Sales guys are trying to put a spin on it that they are doing fine but it must be frustrating. VW needs to take care of their franchised dealers and turn all of this into a positive for the consumer and for them. There will be almost 500K sales opportunities here and their dealers need to have the first opportunity at those sales. TDI owners will be coming in and it will be better for people to drive out in a new VW verses walk out with a check.
It's the same story with my dealership. If/when a buyback is announced...I might see if they can find me a nice/clean low mileage truck. I'm leaning more towards a new one (with the incentives...new just makes more sense), but if they could get me a reasonable deal on a newer used one...I would be happy to throw my dealership a bone.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
I hope they will. However, the head of VW has all but said they will abandon diesels (Forbes article earlier in this thread). Hopefully we'll know more on the 28th. I will likely leave the brand if there are no more diesels. A diesel CPO BMW or Benz may be my choice.

I'm hoping that VW will put TDIs back in the dealerships ASAP so that I can take a new Model off their showroom floor and pocket the $5000. Any word of new models?:mad::D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There might NEVER be a fix

They say...... There might NEVER be a fix

if so ~~ guess there will be no generous (($5,000) for the effected cars willing to get a "FIX."

Even if there is a "FIX" it will take up to two years to do 'em.

One plan was to get the fix, pocket the cash ~~~ cut out the middle man ~~ sell my buggy on the curb ~~ then hello new 2016 or 2017 Passat, Camry, Civic, Golf, Accord, Corolla, Nissan.

I did not buy the car to get rich. If I break even or make a trifle of dollars ~~ fine by me.

Trick for me to sell it is after the fix, many enthusiasts will not want it. But, do not know if said persons CAN undo the fix with MODs ???

Hear Germany is NOW ready to start 800,000 Diesels with a EURO fix.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
So I was just starting to think about trading in my TDI when all this broke out. Now I'm stuck with it until I can figure out how to get rid of it.

Initially I was really wanting a Passat TDI, but now, I don't think I'd touch a VW Diesel. Without the Diesel, just not sure if any VW gasser cars stand out enough to warrant a purchase.

I mean my Jetta drives nice so I'm assuming a Gas version would drive just as nice. But frankly VW is not known for the quality of their cars. Right now I know someone who has almost a brand new Passat Gas sitting because it has the airbag recall (not VW fault) and VW has given him no timeline as to when they can replace it.

Once you accept that you are looking at say a Gas Passat and comparing price and options to that of other cars... it starts to become pretty clear they are not worth the $.

For me, unless VW does something that I just can't refuse, I'm looking at a fully loaded Mazda3 "S" GT for $24k

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1 ~~ always more $$$s in the used ones

2 ~~ yes VW owe that to the 500+ Dealers ~~ Big Time

3 ~~ agreed ~~ fly in the ointment is lack of Diesels to be sold, and the stink of the whole mess from one end to the other.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
VW has one of the two cars I am considering, a Sportwagen and an Outback. Why just these two? they are the only vehicles that have a cargo area long enough for my skis. Yes I can use a box and I do for trips but as a day to day car, I want the skis in the car. If Volkswagen doesn't blow me away with a super deal, back to Subaru.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
So I guess the latest is that VW will pay people "up to" $7000 based on age and other factors. Who knows how accurate it is until late Tuesday, but irresponsible speculation is always fun when your car has no trade-in value.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...esel-owners-up-to-7-000-fund-clean-air-grants
Another BS news piece, lol. "Up to $7,000." Watch VW cut everyone a check for "three-fiddy."

Car owners will be faced with complex calculations to figure out how much cash they might receive from Volkswagen, two of the people said, which could upset them and harm the carmaker’s relationship with buyers even further.
Lol. This will be an epic popcorn event.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
all speculation. but i would think owner of older cars might actually get more?
if you think about it, if you assume newer car will get more, if you bought your car a few months before the scandal you will actually make money: sell car back at VW for prescandal price + 7000 will be more than what you paid, and it does not make sense.
I think they will pay more for older car in order to get them out of the road, as there most likely too expensive and hard to fix.
Again, all speculation until tuesday

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW JETTA TDI, BLACK EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR AND 6SPD MANUAL
I haven't officially heard anything from VW yet, so i'll just stay seated and wait till it's official. What I seen from one website said this.

Owners would have a choice between selling their vehicles back to VW at the value before the scandal broke on Sept. 18, 2015, or keeping the cars and letting the company repair them. Either way, they would also get $1,000 to $7,000 depending on their cars' age, with an average payment of $5,000, one of the people said.

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I love my TDI but, it's a 2009 with 105K miles with the original DPF and second HPFP so, back to VW it goes. I hope I can get a 2015 or 2016 GSW TDI.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
all speculation. but i would think owner of older cars might actually get more?
if you think about it, if you assume newer car will get more, if you bought your car a few months before the scandal you will actually make money: sell car back at VW for prescandal price + 7000 will be more than what you paid, and it does not make sense.
I think they will pay more for older car in order to get them out of the road, as there most likely too expensive and hard to fix.
Again, all speculation until tuesday
I agree with Claudio. It would actually make sense to provide higher compensation to those who own older cars. We should know for sure in 5 days which way this cookie crumbles..., unless of course there is another extension, at which point the current popcorn event will continue...

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Did the older EA189 cars pollute much more than the newer EA288? Maybe the amount of "substantial" compensation is based on how much worse the cars were than published?

Just an idea.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Did the older EA189 cars pollute much more than the newer EA288? Maybe the amount of "substantial" compensation is based on how much worse the cars were than published?

Just an idea.
I am guessing the oldest cars are nearest the end of their projected life....therefore nearly done polluting....so might just get a few $$ plus the pre scandal value....
The 2014, 13, and even the 12 cars are fairly new, with years of use ahead...so he has much incentive to get them off the road, as they have the longest projected life left...so will get the most $$.
I hate to say it...the 2015 seem to be close to being legal ...so we might get very little...cause the emissions credits they need to buy to make things good are less...
Just my guess.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
My family has increased in size from 1 to 3 kids since I bought the Jetta. I wouldn't mind getting into a Passat 1.8tsi. Test drove a 2016 SE with technology and came back very surprised. Larger interior, better seats than my Jetta, kind a win for me. Depending on the outcome , I wouldn't mind staying with VW if there are some incentives.

Habakkuk

TDI
2009 Jetta - automatic
Drive it until it falls apart. I really enjoy my 2013 Jetta TDI. My concern is that I will be penalized by the state when I renew my tag. I can see states using this scandal as an opportunity to generate revenue.

nwtim

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2014 Sportwagen, and the lack of seat-adjustability and the tiny 5" display w/ barebones navigation have been wearing thin for a while. I'm planning to replace it with an Audi allroad Premium Plus w Nav and Sport Package - hopefully CPO for the added 2 years warranty.

If I find one that perfectly fits the bill before the buyback, I'm probably going to jump on it (keeping the TDI till the buyback) because I'm anticipating that the pickin's will be a bit thinner AFTER the buyback.

Last edited:

nwtim

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
...We should know for sure in 5 days which way this cookie crumbles..., unless of course there is another extension, at which point the current popcorn event will continue...
We'll probably be given the official proposal on the 28th, but much could be brought up and changed depending on the subsequent 4-week public comment period. September 18 would be exactly a year after this issue going public, so it wouldn't shock me to see that be another milestone date.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
We'll probably be given the official proposal on the 28th, but much could be brought up and changed depending on the subsequent 4-week public comment period.
I wouldn't count on that. 30 days to read 200K+ emails, propose changes to settlement, AND come to a new modified agreement? Caugh caugh window dressing.

What we see on June 28 is what we get.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
VW to pay diesel owners $1,000 to $7,000 for emissions scandal

I saw this on the cbs evening news last night that VW plans are to give owners $1,000 to 7,000 depending on age & condition......

VW to pay diesel owners $1,000 to $7,000 for emissions scandal

By Associated Press June 23, 2016 | 1:06pm

Volkswagen has agreed to take a series of steps with a total cost of about $10.2 billion to settle claims from its unprecedented diesel emissions cheating scandal in the US,

two people briefed on the matter said Thursday.

Most of the money would go to compensate 482,000 owners of cars with 2-liter diesel engines that were programmed to turn on emissions controls during lab tests and turn them off while on the road,

said the people, who asked not to be identified because a judge has issued a gag order in the case.

One of the people said the agreement was tentative and could change by the time the terms are officially announced by the judge on Tuesday.

The bulk of the cash would be used to fix the cars, buy them back and compensate owners.

Some funds would go to government agencies as penalties and for a program to remediate the environmental damage caused by pollution,

the person said.

Owners would have a choice between selling their vehicles back to VW at the value before the scandal broke on Sept. 18, 2015, or keeping the cars and letting the company repair them.

Either way, they would also get $1,000 to $7,000 depending on their cars’ age, with an average payment of $5,000, one of the people said.

Attorneys representing owners, VW and government agencies including the Environmental Protection Agency have not yet agreed on the steps VW will take to repair the cars, the person said.

Any fix would be expensive and likely would require a bigger catalytic converter or injection of the chemical urea into the exhaust to help neutralize the pollution.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't count on that. 30 days to read 200K+ emails, propose changes to settlement, AND come to a new modified agreement? Caugh caugh window dressing.

What we see on June 28 is what we get.
Yup. I think you nailed it. If you look over the past couple hearing transcripts...the judge all but said "this agreement will be generous enough that any reasonable person will go for it (whether that's do a buyback and take the money or keep the car and take the money)."

Edit: They're not going to be swayed during the one month comment period by people that want $10,000+ in cash and a full MSRP buyback of their 3+ year old car.

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
The WSJ has some different numbers:

Consumers could get at least $5,100 and some could receive up to $10,000, beyond the price of the buyback or repair, one of the people said. Cars affected include model year 2009 to 2015 Volkswagen Jettas, 2010 to 2015 Volkswagen Golfs, 2012 to 2015 Volkswagen Passats and Beetles, and 2010 to 2015 Audi A3s, all with diesel engines.

I still stand by my idea than owners of older cars will get more, because they are not fixable.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
My family has increased in size from 1 to 3 kids since I bought the Jetta. I wouldn't mind getting into a Passat 1.8tsi. Test drove a 2016 SE with technology and came back very surprised. Larger interior, better seats than my Jetta, kind a win for me. Depending on the outcome , I wouldn't mind staying with VW if there are some incentives.
I was just online comparing the jetta to passat... Interior space wise, they are almost identical. I only me.tion this because you say the fam has gotten larger...Well the extra inch or two isn't going to help. And for the money... A jetta SEL comes with all the gadgets that you don't get in a passat until you break the $30k mark.