If VW buys back your JSW, what will you replace it with?

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I feel in such a quandary. When I bought my 2011, I considered it the *perfect* vehicle for me. Great styling, nice performance, utility, not a minivan or SUV, available manual tranny, and great fuel economy for the planet and my asthma. And it's affordable and doesn't yell "status symbol." No other car comes close on that checklist. Plus I customized it to where I want it - stock Nav, backup camera, mild springs, BBS, fog lights, xenons, shift kit, interior bits. If whatever fix VW comes up with considerably kills the checkboxes for fuel economy and/or performance, I seriously do not know what to do.
If you take a buy back, what cars are you considering as a replacement and why?

ALBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sport Wagon
The wife and I were already looking at an upgrade before Deflategate even hit so we're considering Audi Q5 & Q7 TDIs. Now we just have to wait and see if VW will offer enough for us to be able to afford one.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I hope they don't swoop this thread over to "threadzilla." To the extent that this topic is discussed at all there, the suggestions generally seem to come from people who are driving a hatchback Golf. I am not going to replace the functionality of the JSW with a Prius or other hatchback.

TDI in PA

TDI
None yet
The offer is going to have be absolutely off the charts for me to accept a buyback.

I want to keep my car (2010 JSW TDI) for at least another 5 years and 100k+ miles)

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I hope they don't swoop this thread over to "threadzilla." To the extent that this topic is discussed at all there, the suggestions generally seem to come from people who are driving a hatchback Golf. I am not going to replace the functionality of the JSW with a Prius or other hatchback.
Yes, thank you. The JSW (in TDI form) is such a unique vehicle on the market, which is why I posted here.

The Audi Q's (& T-reg) are great cars in their classes, but I'd really like to stay with a manual transmission. What's a guy to do?

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
What? You don't think of a Mini Cooper as a suitable replacement? For me, the cargo space is important, so the 6MT will probably have to be sacraficed. Even in the gasoline GSWs, the MT is only available on the base trim. Yuck.

Worse, the obvious functional replacements like the various Subarus have CVT, which is just terrible.

No good options, only poor ones.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
CLOSED!

ha, ha, ha...

MKVII GTI for me! But I already have a Golf, so the "wagen" part isn't as much of a factor for me. Maybe the all-wheel drive version of the gasser wagen that's coming, because I think you'll be able to get a manual transmission in the years ahead. It looks like a premium vehicle like our TDI cars! Hopefully it will be clear in a couple of years.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
If the offer was rediculous, and it was my DD, then a GTI. But its the wife, so it would probably be a GSW. Maybe even the alltrack version.

But then again, if they offer money for the fix, I'll take it and keep the car. The parts will probably fall off going down the road.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Depends on how much I get. the 2017 Accord hybrid looks interesting with an electric motor and no transmission. It runs EV mode, the engine kicks on to recharge the battery. When going fast enough a clutch connects the wheels to the engine (so it would be something like 5th gear with no torque converter). It gets 48MPG and should have good low end torque from the EV. It is rated at 212HP.

I would want to keep my JSW most likely. I am uncertain if VW could offer something that would make me buy another VW in the future. Unless they release an electric turbo 2.0L JSW TDI. With the additional emissions equipment they will probably need to certify, it would have less power and efficiency than the current JSW. But if it had an electric turbo like the new Audi SQ5, it would have no turbo lag. I would take less power but no lag.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I have been searching the internet for ideas and really trying to keep an open mind.

Needs:
Space, I carry a lot of skis and I need room for 3-6 pr 180cm (6') straight in the back. Yes, I can use a box and I have one, but it kills fuel economy.

Speaking of fuel economy, 30ish is what I need.

Used, looking to stay in the teen$

Odometer, I driver 25K/yr so I don't want to be over 75K

Wants:
Manual, would be nice

AWD, I know how to drive in the snow and will run snow tires. I will put an AWD label on hte back for chain control

Choices:
2010ish Passat Wagon, has the space, price is good, 2.0. Will I go back to VW?

Acura TSX wagon, real nice choices out there, lots of old peoples cars. limited space in back for a wagon. Too nice of interior, I am rough on interiors with the skis and a dog

Audi A4 Avant. See above

Subaru Outback, used are stupid expensive, can get stick & AWD

Rav4 Hybrid, just came to attention, will research

17 VW Golf Wagon LTD, will VW put a huge incentive on their own product to keep us? They should. This might be an option.

Volvos cost too much to keep up, as with Benz. BMW, Audi, not as bad.

Last edited:

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
From what I've heard speaking to the VW dealership, the Alltrack will be coming with a stick sometime after launch. I'm thinking I may be looking at that if the buyback deal is good enough.

Considering cars that are available now, these are the ones I would consider:

VW Golf GTI
VW CC
VW Jetta GLI
Honda Accord
Mazda 6

I would lose the wagon capability on most of these, but I'd get at least the same passenger space, plus a stick shift

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....dude from Reno.........

........and I sure agree: 2012/13/14 CPO TSX wagon would work for me............

...........the 6M, fuel numbers, torque et al will be big time missed. You just never know, do you?

ez

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
....dude from Reno.........
........and I sure agree: 2012/13/14 CPO TSX wagon would work for me............
...........the 6M, fuel numbers, torque et al will be big time missed. You just never know, do you?
ez
The torque might be missed for about 50 miles, it is just a matter of adjusting driving style, my other car is a Miata, no torque there, LOL, but it IS a stick. While driving dynamics were important when I got the TDI, not so much now, utility and mileage is more important now.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Perhaps a 2017 golf SW TDI.
This is my thinking also. I am not yet convinced that VW cannot make a compliant TDI using SCR (like BMW, MB, and the Chevy Cruze). If there is a 2017 GSW TDI or a 2017 TDI Tiggy - we could have a deal. What I will do if there is a buy back - depends entirely on the offer made and the alternatives available at the time. It is too early to make any decision at this time.

Have Fun!

Don

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
Not much manual transmissiontransmissions out there. I'd probably get a BMW 325i. Possibly 5-10 years old.

But most likely if I get 5k for my losing value in my car, I'd just keep this thing for the long haul.

Last edited:

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
If VW offers something ridiculous, I will probably buy an old beater. Nothing new really does it for me. Hell, maybe I sell my Colorado too and buy a Ram Ecodiesel.

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Not a JSW but I'll respond. If I didn't think I'd get screwed by NY emissions testing I'd keep the Golf. But I know I would. R if I can swing the cost, GTI if I can't.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
If VW offers something ridiculous, I will probably buy an old beater. Nothing new really does it for me. Hell, maybe I sell my Colorado too and buy a Ram Ecodiesel.
I'd wait a few more years on the Ecodiesel. I love everything about the newer Ram trucks(except crash tests) and the Ecodiesel is fun. However, the amount of engine and ECU related issues is downright scary.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Subaru Outback, used are stupid expensive, can get stick & AWD

Volvos cost too much to keep up, as with Benz. BMW, Audi, not as bad.

Gonna have to go back quite a few years for an Outback with a stick.

Also how are Volvos that much more expensive than a TDI? If its a dealer queen I'm sure, but the DIY route they can't be worse than what you're already driving.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
2016 Mazda mx5. Most practical car ever made.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I immediately thought of a GSW with TSI, but then realized I want a manual transmission AND upgrades. It's like the Passat NMS when it finally showed up..."You want a sunroof?... Well, here ya go, with DSG ONLY!!!"

And if you insist on a 6MT in yer new GSW TSI, well, here ya go... cloth seats only, and forget the sunroof... Nyaa~!

I guess it is assumed that if you want a 6MT, it is because you are a tightwad, unwilling to pay the additional $1200 for a real transmission, so what could you possibly want with a sunroof?

But seriously, I decided NO. Anything will mean more debt, and unlikely to really be better than my 2014 JSW 6MT TDI.

So maybe I'll take more money if they offer it, and use it towards DPF delete, a real exhaust system, and a Malone tune. Suspension upgrades too. I'll make something I can't buy.

Last edited:

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I immediately thought of a GSW with TSI, but then realized I want a manual transmission AND upgrades. It's like the Passat NMS when it finally showed up..."You want a sunroof?... Well, here ya go, with DSG ONLY!!!"
And if you insist on a 6MT, well, here ya go... cloth seats only. Nyaa~!
I guess it is assumed that if you want a 6MT, it is because you are a tightwad, unwilling to pay the additional $1200 for a real transmission, so what could you possibly want with a sunroof?
THIS. Why, VW, why not keep a manual as an option at least? I guess we're lucky to have JSWs. (at the moment)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

It's like the Passat NMS when it finally showed up..."You want a sunroof?... Well, here ya go, with DSG ONLY!!!"
Not a DSG any longer. Now they get the non-DSG automatic. The only cars I notice with DSGs is the GTI, GLI, CC, Beetle R-Line, Eos, and Passat with V6. All of those are 2.0T except for the Passat. It would appear the 1.8T is only available with the automatic tranny with the exception of some base models that can be had with manuals. :(

I'm hoping to keep my TDIs. I'm not jumping to any conclusions until I know what VW is offering and how my state will handle the result. :cool:

Scott

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Well, ideally I would like to buy the Tesla 3, supposedly we get a 2 year grace period to buy back or fix. Since Tesla won't deliver until next fall -I might just plunk down my dough for one, depending on the details.

Last edited:

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
The ugly duck choice

Wondering if anybody besides me is looking at the 2011-13 Acura TSX wagon. A bit fun to drive, reasonable FE, comfortable, can carry a decent bit of kit. And there are several attractive looking aftermarket alternates to fug ugly beak!
Anything I'm missing on these?
Trick is finding a clean one with low mileage. And I understand some people aren't comfortable with used.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Wondering if anybody besides me is looking at the 2011-13 Acura TSX wagon. A bit fun to drive, reasonable FE, comfortable, can carry a decent bit of kit. And there are several attractive looking aftermarket alternates to fug ugly beak!
Anything I'm missing on these?
Trick is finding a clean one with low mileage. And I understand some people aren't comfortable with used.
Check post 11, it is on my list. Problem is the back is pretty small. There are low mileage ones out there for sure and most look pretty nice.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I'll have to wait and see.......depends on the deal. If they combine the buy out with a great offer on a VW I might consider a C.C.

I love diesels....I love the way they perform. They are simply getting too complicated though. I don't want to mess with the hassle of adding anything extra.

It also depends on what the wife decides. I might consider a Prius or........I've never owned a Cadillac. I kind of like the Cadillac ATS.

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
If VW gives a great incentive, I'll pick up a new GSW or GTI, otherwise I may for a used CTS wagon.

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I really like the new Subaru Outback. That's almost what I bought in 2010 when I got my JSW. It was a question of TDI fuel economy vs. AWD and the TDI won. I love my JSW and would hope to keep driving it into the foreseeable future.