05 Passat Transmission code

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
After maintenance to replace a leaking rear coolant flange, my car threw a Check Engine light. A check of the code showed the following:

"P0741-003 Torque converter clutch stuck OFF. No power being transferred MIL ON"

I can disagree with the power statement. It starts and runs fine. I did a check looking for loose wires or unplugged wire ends but didn't find anything from the top. Is there something else to look for, or do I need to climb under the car now?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Yes common failure replace and you will be good for a long while. Mine has 365,000 miles on the original. Fluid changes are important.

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
Thanks. Could it be also a broken wire or other less involved problem?
bbob203: You said it's a common failure. How involved is the replacement? You've made it to 365,000. Are you the exception regarding failures? Are there any signs the torque converter is failing, like engine revving high, or not shifting well?

Last edited:

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I have no explanation other than the fluid has been regularly changed. To test it you need a VCDS or OBDELEVEN scan tool to read the TCM data to see if the Torque Converter is locking up or not.

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
Thanks for the info. We tested it the other day and found that there was 250 to 350 rpm difference between the engine rpm and the torque converter on the vcds. I wasn't on the computer, I'm relaying the info as I remember it.
Now that I am tuned in to this, it seems the rpm is increasing noticeably when the car, in cruise control, goes up hills, and isn't downshifting. Is this normal? If the torque converter is locked up shouldn't the car not change rpm on slight hills? I can see a slight rpm variation on the tachometer - about 50 - on a level road steady, cruise controlled speed.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
The transmission will lock up in 4th and 5th gears; any increase in rpm is accompanied by a corresponding increase in speed. In 1st - 3rd gears, the transmission does not lock up; give it gas and rpms rise immediately and the speed catches up later.

The behavior you describe, "it seems the rpm is increasing noticeably when the car, in cruise control, goes up hills, and isn't downshifting" indicates the transmission is not locking up. If your transmission is in 4th or 5th gear you have a problem.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lockup occurs in every forward gear but 1st. The OP needs a new converter. It is common. There is a TSB about it. I have done a bunch of them.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Those who have replaced the t/c immediately after getting the code have had less problems than those who keep driving and waiting. Trans will overheat running at hyway speeds not locking up in 5th.