Blocking Off Front Grill for Winter GRRRR!!

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
How many of you guys do this? What are the gains you realize? Any potential hazards ? I use my scanguage to monitor temps./ never get over 185 Fht. ,wondering where danger begins? If the car warms up qiucker do you see better mpg in winter months? :confused:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
There is no danger. I mean VW sells a kit to block of the front, they expect you to do it!

I notice slightly quicker warmups and the car doesn't cool down on the highway.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
There is little chance of damage or negative results. You would not want to leave it there next summer, but it is generally a plus for the winter.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks guys..... it's confirmational replys like this that makes this forum so informative.;)

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I saw someone with foam pipe insulation at a gtg last year and then looked up in the forum afterward. I did it from late January til April and just a couple weeks ago I stuffed them back in. Since my Jetta is gray they kind of blend in. I'd get the fancy ones from VW (or tdiparts.com) if I felt like ponying up the money. I think it was around $40.

+1 for quicker warm-ups.

TDI
None
Look for Scurvy on the forum. He came up with the Scurvy Winter Front which involves using pipe insulation in the grill. Works great! If you're in a really cold area, consider making or buying a frostheater.

TDI
None
Only if you have a front mount IC I would think. You don't block off airflow on the passenger side where the IC is, only the front grill and lower grill in front of the radiator and condenser.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Intercooler is on the lower bumper grill that is separate of the radiator grill if stock. So blocking radiator wouldn't affect the intercooler. I just use foam but the stock ones are $27 plus shipping.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I blocked off my intercooler vent on the front. Cooler weather means more power yes, but also means less mileage. So by blocking it I can keep my mileage up a bit more.

My entire front is blocked with the OEM kit and foam pipe insulation.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I'm using the foam pipe insulation on my lower grill on my Passat. Seems to restrict airflow somewhat and keep the car warmer, but not enough to cause any negatives. Gonna leave it on until May, I think, or at least until temps warm into the 70s. I'm also using a Zerostart 1000w coolant heater, and have all my engine covers (top, bottom) intact. Helps that we have heated garage, too.

CSM Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta--SOLD
does anyone have a picture of their grill cover installed? Also how cold does it need to get to consider getting one of these? The lowest it gets here is about 15 F.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
CSM Jetta said:
does anyone have a picture of their grill cover installed? Also how cold does it need to get to consider getting one of these? The lowest it gets here is about 15 F.
I put mine on when the lows get to 40*F to 50*F, all through winter, and until it warms up past 40*F to 50*F.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I ran mine on the car just last month it was still 15c outside. I actually travelled on the highway for 13 hours to Ottawa again. The car can keep itself cool enough with it on if the day is warmer. It's the colder days that you need it. I run it from fall to late spring. I still only hit around 93C in late May.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My own .02 is don't worry about blocking it off. Get in the car, get it on boost, and it'll warm up and stay warm, especially where you are. If you were in Illinois or Wisconsin I might think different. I drove to Detroit last January when it was -3 out and saw the coolant temp drop when I was going down hills. But in more moderate climates it's not an issue.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I for one did notice a difference with and without the kit. Driving on the highway with winds coming at you that are -30C tend to chill down the car a tad.

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
I just took a stab at this a few weekends ago. I had some old fakish leather scraps at home; I would suspect one could pick something similar up at a fabric store. I cut out a pattern with some overlap

I then drilled some holes around the perimeter, and then laced them up with some nylon string.

Then the grill gets re-installed. The bottom grill needs a slit for the tow hook, and two more to screw in the bolts.

Temps are up to just under 200 on the gauge, the car stays warm longer afterword, and heats up quite a bit quicker. It got up to 60 or so the past few days, and the fan keeps running for a moment after the key is turned off, but other then that, all seems great :)

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
My own .02 is don't worry about blocking it off. Get in the car, get it on boost, and it'll warm up and stay warm, especially where you are. If you were in Illinois or Wisconsin I might think different. I drove to Detroit last January when it was -3 out and saw the coolant temp drop when I was going down hills. But in more moderate climates it's not an issue.
Thanks...... that is specifically my question...... how cold before you guys see advantage? :confused:

Vulcan

TDI
2004 Silver Jetta TDI Sport
Anybody got a photo of the VW kit installed? I looked at the foam pipe DIY but I didn't like how it looks.

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Be careful if your car has a DPF...

You may want to be careful about doing this if you have the not-so-loved DPF, like I do. When that barnacle is going through an active regen cycle, the radiator fans turn on and the unit gets HOT :eek:

There are other threads here that discuss the temps that are generated when it starts really cooking. The airflow is needed so things don't get grilled "Texas-style" when the car is stopped or moving very slowly.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I stuffed some foam wrapped in cardboard directly in front of my radiator after removing the grill. A also replaced the hood liner with Dynamat a week ago and that seems to shorten warm-up time. The OEM liner was destroyed by a squirrel.

Vulcan

TDI
2004 Silver Jetta TDI Sport
I didn't think that was the factory one....for some reason I thought the factory one had a diamond pattern stitched in it.