Any Help Appreciated

cdscar

TDI
03 Jetta 1.9TDI, 99 NB 1.9TDI
I have recently bought a 99 TDI New Beetle. Had to have the head replaced due to water pump failure. Had work done at a VW dealership. But my problem is that after driving the car for a couple of hours it looses power and continues to loose power until I stop and turn the car off, wait a minute or two and the start again. Then it runs fine. Anyone have any problems like this? Check engine light did come on after the fourth or fifth time this happened. Took it to dealership and code showed turbo boost pressure control(P1550). Dealership said turbo was bad and not boosting. Checked turbo myself, no broken fins or slack in bearings, best I could tell. Also installed boost gauge and it shows to have around 20 lbs. of boost. What kind of boos should the car have? Also the car does not get the fuel mileage it was claimed to get could this be linked to my problem? Thanks for any help.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
cdscar said:
I have recently bought a 99 TDI New Beetle. Had to have the head replaced due to water pump failure. Had work done at a VW dealership. But my problem is that after driving the car for a couple of hours it looses power and continues to loose power until I stop and turn the car off, wait a minute or two and the start again. Then it runs fine. Anyone have any problems like this? Check engine light did come on after the fourth or fifth time this happened. Took it to dealership and code showed turbo boost pressure control(P1550). Dealership said turbo was bad and not boosting. Checked turbo myself, no broken fins or slack in bearings, best I could tell. Also installed boost gauge and it shows to have around 20 lbs. of boost. What kind of boos should the car have? Also the car does not get the fuel mileage it was claimed to get could this be linked to my problem? Thanks for any help.
I think everyone on this forum will tell you the same thing: don't take it to the dealer! unless you are still covered under warranty and/or the stealership will fix what they already broke (sounds like maybe a fishy dealership.) I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my used TDI (what a waste:eek: ) my suggestion is to find a Club Guru local to you and read everything you can about you car on this site. I believe 20 psi is normal for your car but not sure.

BTW - it sounds like your power loss is "limp mode" (not 100% sure I am a newbie at this) one of our more knowledgeable members will answer any minute now...

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hi, CD. Welcome to Fred's. Do you know how many miles are on the car? When was the intake manifold last cleaned?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
AFAIK, there aren't any TDI gurus in Alabama, so it might take a road trip to Atlanta to have that NB thoroughly checked out. Still much cheaper (and better) than letting the local VW dealership experiment on it.

It seems that limp mode is most commonly associated with a sticky VNT actuator, or a fault in the N75 turbo control valve. Occasionally it can be a bad mass airflow (MAF) sensor. You don't really have to wait a couple minutes to do a restart -- just push in the clutch and do it on the roll.

Low fuel mileage could be from a partially clogged EGR valve and intake. Or from a boost leak somewhere.

You've come to the right place -- the more information you can provide, the more help you will get with troubleshooting. When you get in over your head, schedule a trip to Atlanta.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
Start simply and look for boost leaks in the form of a missing or misplaced clamp in the intake end of things. Look at the connections on the intercooller. That's all it takes to trigger limp mode. From your description, the car is suffering underboost, and going into limp. Given that the turbo makes 20 psi, it's probably just fine.

cdscar

TDI
Thanks for all the help guys. The bug has 190000 miles on it. what exactly do you mean by cleanning the intake manifold? I have heard this before and do not know exactly how to do this. Also what is the VNT actuator, I am new to this. What shop in Atlanta is good? I do not mind making a trip to get my car running right.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Atlanta northside: Troy Sentz, Canton, GA 570.233.1385
TDI Club username TNTKNC

Atlanta southside: Roger Feldt 678.907.4221

The actuator is vacuum-operated and is what moves the turbo vanes. If it is sticky, the vanes don't open and the engine control module detects less boost than requested. A vacuum leak or a a problem with the N75 valve can also reduce the amount that the vanes move.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
cdscar said:
Thanks for all the help guys. The bug has 190000 miles on it. what exactly do you mean by cleanning the intake manifold? I have heard this before and do not know exactly how to do this. Also what is the VNT actuator, I am new to this. What shop in Atlanta is good? I do not mind making a trip to get my car running right.
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm
there's also a good .pdf version floating around somewhere in cyberspace:cool:

cdscar

TDI
Thanks guys this is the most help I have found anywhere. Can't wait to get home and start checking things out on the bug. Looks like it is going to be interesting to see how dirty my intake is going to be. Found out it has never been done. Let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
cdscar said:
Thanks guys this is the most help I have found anywhere. Can't wait to get home and start checking things out on the bug. Looks like it is going to be interesting to see how dirty my intake is going to be. Found out it has never been done. Let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
I am supposed to be getting mine cleaned on Friday. I'm getting antsy to get it done and restore my airflow and power! I think it's never been cleaned before and I only have 80k miles, be prepared for yours to be dirty at 190k! have you read about the EGR delete yet? http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=TDI+Race+Pipe+%26+EGR
from what I understand, if you do this mod you won't need to clean the intake again

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Okay... again, the dealer doesn't have the parts on hand to properly fix your boost problems.

1) Let's say you have a sticking VNT... the dealer won't tear it down and fix the turbo, they'll replace it.
2) Let's say the VNT actuator is bad. the dealer doesn't have parts to fix it.

So what the dealer does is quotes you the highest price part so they can troubleshoot it after they find the turbo isn't the problem. It's just how it works... they spend 10 minutes on your car to tell you what's wrong... and they might see 10-20 TDIs a month versus 100-200 1.8Ts or VR6s.

check my sig for "low power?"

cdscar

TDI
Would putting the EGR delete on my car cause the CEL to come on or does it come with something to block that code also? If it would help from having to clean the intake so often I am willing to try. Also I read somewhere about having the catalytic converter cleaned is there a way I could do this myself? still have about a week before I get off work so look for pics of how dirty my intake is.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
cdscar said:
Would putting the EGR delete on my car cause the CEL to come on or does it come with something to block that code also? If it would help from having to clean the intake so often I am willing to try. Also I read somewhere about having the catalytic converter cleaned is there a way I could do this myself? still have about a week before I get off work so look for pics of how dirty my intake is.
from dieselgeek.com "These kits will likely trigger a Check Engine Light (CEL) unless you have a performance chip that specifically disables EGR functionality." (http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=428)

I believe it is OK to ignore this CEL until you get chipped, etc. but not sure about that... one of the Veterans will chime in about that. I'm looking into doing this delete as well. I don't think you need to worry about that cat until you take care of what else is needed first. I don't remember reading about cleaning it before but I suppose it is possible. did you read about that on this forum? good luck!

some CEL threads on our forum:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=211639&highlight=EGR+CEL
VAG-COM only might take care of this problem on your car
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=211728&highlight=EGR+CEL
(see post #4 "Disabling the EGR with Vag-com only worked on some of the earlier MKIV cars (99.5 and some 2000 models). To permenantly delete the EGR fault code, you need a chip tune.")
VAG-COM http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/tdi.html
other relevant threads: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205795
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207108
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=211055

your options look like
1 maybe VAG-COM for your '99
2 an epsilonian device
3 chip tuning
4 a diverter valve

Last edited:

cdscar

TDI
Thanks for the advice and the threads. I am learning more and more each time I get on here. So I have ordered the egr delete and plan to put it on soon. But first a few more questions. How do you get Vag-Com or where? Does it come with a manual to explain how to use it? Thinking it will be a wise investment and just want to know more. i would also like to know where to look for chips, or what kind seems to be the best? Is there one that has different settings to choose from?

coffeefor2

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sorry for my ignorance but is there a cleaning interval for the intake/EGR cleaning? Is this just a "when you think it needs it" cleaning?

I have also read some members do an intercooler cleaning. Is this doen for the same reason? Should it be done at the same time? Is it worth the effort?

I too am new in the TDI world and learning as I go. The more I read, the more I learn.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
coffeefor2 said:
Sorry for my ignorance but is there a cleaning interval for the intake/EGR cleaning? Is this just a "when you think it needs it" cleaning?

I have also read some members do an intercooler cleaning. Is this doen for the same reason? Should it be done at the same time? Is it worth the effort?
Whether the intake and EGR get clogged depends on 1) driving pattern, 2) quality of fuel, 3) state of tune, and 4)amount of oil lost from crankcase vent or from turbo seal. Anything that reduces the oil mist and exhaust smoke will extend the period between intake cleanings.

When I had my new turbo installed a few months ago, the intake was cleaned for the first time in 260k miles. It wasn't bad at all. But my Golf has lived mostly on CARB diesel, which was <50 ppm of sulfur when the rest of the country had 500 ppm diesel. Now the whole country gets ULSD, less than 15 ppm, so intake clogging should become less of a problem.

Any oil that accumulates in the intercooler can be blown out with an Italian Tune-up. If there is too much accumulation, then you may have a turbo seal problem.

cdscar

TDI
I live in Butler, AL. I am about two hours from any major cities, but I don't mind traveling. If it helps I do frequently go to Nashville, TN.