Fuel Lubricity

Double6

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I know everyone has opinions about additives, but with concerns about wear in our fuel injection pumps & low lubricity in today's diesel fuel, I came upon these 2 products so I looked up their website. I have been using Stanadyne & Power Service brands in my Jetta & Dodge/Cummins.

Has anybody used this? It looks like using the 16 Oz. bottle I would only need about 1 ounce per tank full in my Jetta.

http://www.fppf.com/index.php/products-by-name?task=catalog.product&id=34

or this one, more of a do everything additive like the ones I'm using now.

http://www.fppf.com/index.php/products-by-name?task=catalog.product&id=14

Last edited:

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
This topic has been thoroughly discussed on this forum and a search on "additives" will give you a plethora of perspectives...

In the past, I have used power service (esp. during winter). I do not use any additive at this time due to VW not endorsing and since I am within warranty.

However, some tests, although controversial, have shown that as little as 2% biodiesel blend is more effective at increasing lubricity, reducing wear scar than additives.

Since VW approves B5 and below, that is what I am currently using with the understanding that it increases lubricity.

You will also find that there is some uncertainty about what effect additives have on oil dilution and the DPF elements - perhaps the reason VW does not endorse.

Last edited:

Double6

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the reply!
I know the additive subject is controversial, but I'm a believer in them.

I installed gauges in my Dodge fairly soon after buying it.
I have used mostly Stanadyne Performance Formula in my Dodge Cummins since day one, at least every other tank full, sometimes every tank full on trips & if you know about the stock fuel lift pump issue with the 5.9 24 valve Cummins they normally don't make it past 50,000 miles before they quit.

I finally had to change out my stock lift pump due to low pressure & no pressure at just over 150,000 miles. Was it the additive? Did I just get lucky with a good factory lift pump? You all be the judge. My little brother in another state uses Stanadyne & Power Service and had a similar experience with his 2002 Dodge Cummins.

I have been using Stanadyne in my Jetta since day one, so I will see how the fuel pump holds up over the long haul.

Natz

TDI
Golf_mk4_TDi 110_AHF
Well I've been having a good read up on the use of 2T (2stroke oil) being used as an additive in the diesel tank.
I tried this today and it has made a massive difference to the sound of my AHF 110.
I noticed after about 20miles of driving, first thing I noticed is that the injection pump is not nailing away as it was before, especially at drive thru's it would actually hurt my ears with the windows down, idling, but now it is pleasant to listen to :) needless to say ill be using this as a permanent measure.

Just though I would share this as I'm very impressed.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Biodiesel lubricity

All have their opinions and rightly so. It is a free country yet.

I used to use Stanadyne but two years after reading a Canadian report on biodiesel, I now add one quart/liter of 100% bio to each tank of roughly 15 gallons of diesel fuel. Per the report (I can't find it now), one quart to 15 gallons of diesel gave slightly better lubricity than buying 2% biodiesel. The numbers probably work out the same. Either way, the report said anything over 2% biodiesel fuel/#2 gives very little extra lubricity vs.any cost difference. What I know is my fuel system cleans itself nicely, car runs better, I do not have access to any local biodiesel stations unless I drive 75 miles. So this is my alternative. When I head to northern wisconsin for a weekend, I buy about 3 gallons of 100% bio for my additive. I then fill up old used one quart plastic oil jugs and add when I need to refuel. In all honesty, my mileage has improved slightly, no vibrations on instrument cluster or anything any more.

Hope this helps. Oh, and its' cheaper than buying Power Service or Stanadayne. Although I do add some Stanadyne in the winter to prevent gelling. Maybe 4 oz. per tank fill up.

coulee

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
All have their opinions and rightly so. It is a free country yet.
I used to use Stanadyne but two years after reading a Canadian report on biodiesel, I now add one quart/liter of 100% bio to each tank of roughly 15 gallons of diesel fuel. Per the report (I can't find it now), one quart to 15 gallons of diesel gave slightly better lubricity than buying 2% biodiesel. The numbers probably work out the same. Either way, the report said anything over 2% biodiesel fuel/#2 gives very little extra lubricity vs.any cost difference. What I know is my fuel system cleans itself nicely, car runs better, I do not have access to any local biodiesel stations unless I drive 75 miles. So this is my alternative. When I head to northern wisconsin for a weekend, I buy about 3 gallons of 100% bio for my additive. I then fill up old used one quart plastic oil jugs and add when I need to refuel. In all honesty, my mileage has improved slightly, no vibrations on instrument cluster or anything any more.
Hope this helps. Oh, and its' cheaper than buying Power Service or Stanadayne. Although I do add some Stanadyne in the winter to prevent gelling. Maybe 4 oz. per tank fill up.
coulee
+1 what he said

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
...one quart/liter of 100% bio to each tank of roughly 15 gallons of diesel fuel. Per the report (I can't find it now), one quart to 15 gallons of diesel gave slightly better lubricity than buying 2% biodiesel. The numbers probably work out the same...

...and its' cheaper than buying Power Service or Stanadayne. Although I do add some Stanadyne in the winter to prevent gelling. Maybe 4 oz. per tank fill up.

coulee
a quart of biodiesel to 15 gal of D2 comes out to around 1.6% biodiesel content. I can't imagine it provides "better" lubricity than B2.

Going back to the biodiesel lubricity study from way back when- yes, anything >2% didn't provide much of an increase in lubricity, so B2 is a good mixture for great lubricity and also high energy content (D2 having more energy than BD)

As far as it being cheaper to use B2 vs Power Service- I guess it depends on how cheap you can get the biodiesel. A 15gal fill up would be dosed at 5 to 10 oz of PS. An 80oz container of this stuff costs about $18, so you spend between $1.12 and $2.25 per fillup.

Dinner

TDI
2002 Jetta
Well I've been having a good read up on the use of 2T (2stroke oil) being used as an additive in the diesel tank.
I tried this today and it has made a massive difference to the sound of my AHF 110.
I noticed after about 20miles of driving, first thing I noticed is that the injection pump is not nailing away as it was before, especially at drive thru's it would actually hurt my ears with the windows down, idling, but now it is pleasant to listen to :) needless to say ill be using this as a permanent measure.

Just though I would share this as I'm very impressed.
I too use 2 stroke oil in my fuel. I've used 2 stroke oil in my fuel for my Dodge the past ever and has worked fine, quiets injector rattle down quite a bit. I just purchased my Jetta and is only on its 2nd tank of fuel...so far so good!