Flywheel needed for upgrade to VR6 clutch??

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
When searching for a flywheel to upgrade my TDI to a VR6 size clutch do a search for a VR6 flywheel, G60, or the 1.8t upgraded to 228mm clutch.

Kinda of
when I look on the net. Most web sites do have much info on the TDI.

I wanted to just buy the autoteck flywheel from DieselGeek but he would only sell a kit

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Got my G60 flywheel from a junked '97. It's worked great. Not too many cars in the junk yard are there because of flywheel problems so I suspect they're pretty safe. Some folk are suggesting lightening them (see post on that elsewhere) and apparently are having good luck doing so. I paid $60 for my G60.

Good luck

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I've found some OEM g60 flywheels on vwvortex at an OK price.

I don't really want to buy a used flywheel then have in machined as I don't know of a trustable machine shop.

So do I need a G60 becuase of the bolts or a VR6 flywheel?
What did the G60 motors come in?

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
DG wouldn't sell me the flywheel only..

I am either going to use a spec cluth or clutchnet 6puck ez pro.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I've got a used g60/vr6 flywheel that I purchased when I was planning on getting a vr6 clutch. I ended up with a Spec clutch kit that doesn't mate up to a gasser flywheel so I'm awaiting an aluminum flywheel replacement from Spec as we speak. If you'd like the flywheel, shoot me a PM.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
Check out this SUPER H.P. Clutch on Ebay!

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW

If anybody has heard anything good, bad or ugly about this setup please let me know, I am actually considering using this clutch. I've priced DG's kit and I'm ready to buy it, but B4 I purchase it I'd like to get a feel on the difference between the stock clutch and this clutch that is sold on Ebay. Any and All feedback would be greatly appreciated!

JAY GARRETT Los Angeles, California hazw8st@onebox.com

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I am also in a need of a new clutch, mine start slipping at 123000 km. I've just put a chip and injectors 4000 km ago and under more than normal acceleration, the clutch slip. A lot of people talk about the VR6 clutch with a G60 flywheel Is the flywheel a must with this clutch or only the clutch can be installed?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
If you started with the chip and injectors you might want to do the clutch and flywheel to have a piece of mind. Most probably you are going to do a few more mods thereforejust bite the bulletand go for it!

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
A lot of people talk about the VR6 clutch with a G60 flywheel Is the flywheel a must with this clutch or only the clutch can be installed?
The VR6 clutch will not fit the stock DMF flywheel in an A4 TDI.

-JAck

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW]
Thats GPW. Most all of the senior members hate this guy
Why? <ul type="square"> [*]He has stolen pictures from the tdiclub and puts his name on them then uses them to sell on ebay. [*]He creates multiple user names so that he can come on the tdiclub and promote his items for sale
[*]He has made it so that no other nozzle maker can sell nozzles on ebay. [*]In his nozzle auctions he dogs Kerma nozzles. Which anybody with a grain of knowledge knows that Kerma nozzles are the best [*]He somehow manages to get threads like this one locked and/or deleted.
[*]He never ever submits any useful knowledge to the tdiclub. [/list]

But he does has great ebay feedback and some good prices. On his clutch. I doubt that its that good. Its just an old clutch that has been resurfaced. I wouldn't want to be the first on to use it.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I have a A3 engine, which flywheel and clutch and from what year should I use ?

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW

If anybody has heard anything good, bad or ugly about this setup please let me know,
I'l spare the details of my interaction with GPW, but as far as the clutch disc goes he told me that any high performance car parts have drawbacks, "you cannot have your cake and eat it to" were his exact words when I asked his about slow speed/low power clutch engagement characteristics, I assume that the cluth is a little jerky under low power engagement, but he did not specify what "not eating your cake" actually felt like in the car. When you drive the car hard with the afformentioned disc the engagement is nice and smooth. The majority of my driving is low power/speed, I am not 18 anymore, so I will go with something else that has great driving charactiristics and will hold all the power that a chip and nozzles will produce, SPEC or G60/VR6.

-Jack

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback! Let me get this straight guys, in no way, shape or form do I know GPW or have I done any business with him in the past. All you have to do is check my past auctions and feedback on Ebay. I use the same username, "hazw8st". Heres the link for informative purposes only, in no way do I endorse this seller.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...;category=33730

Presently, I have Kerma nozzles, and I wouldn't associate or do business with anyone that would dog Kerma.
I saw the clutch that GPW was selling and I was entertaining the thought of just buying the Super Clutch setup rather than the G60/VR6 Clutch upgrade. I know we get what we pay for, and it is for that reason I posted this FEELER, to figure out the legitimacy of GPW and their products. If anybody has used a GPW Clutch, please post some feedback. Doesn't really matter if it's good, bad or ugly. Feedback is feedback, IT'S ALL GOOD!!!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Example of stolen images (Scroll down- you will see fred's anti-leach tag)

Darren Dawes was happy to learn about his stealing images from dawesdevices.com and plastering "German Parts Wholesale" all over them so no one would steal them from HIM. VeRO took care of that. GPW basically cut-paste the images and text from dawes device site into the ebay listings.

Uwe Ross also told me that he leeched a dyno graph from Ross-tech website to use in his listings for his VR6 chip. Trouble is, it was a dyno graph for a TT with/without exhaust. Uwe was more than happy to cut his deep-links to vag-com software. TO quote an e-mail I got from Uwe:

Yeah, this guy is a turd. He did buy the HEX-COM from us, and lends it out. We knew he would do that when he bought it, and we told him "fine, but we won't be able provide support to your customers". Sadly, this was before we learned how much of a turd he is. At one point, he
stole and used this graph from my site claming it was before-and-after from his VR6 chip:

http://www.uweross.org/Uwe/VR6/pics/dyno.htm

Needless to say, I called him to task on that one -- it's
before-and-after a TT exhaust!

Anyway, regarding the deep link.. There's a reason I keep my EXE files in "numbered" directories -- makes it trivial to break links like that -- which I've just done. It's more fun to make him look like an idiot than to use eBay's VeRo program (which just gets his auction pulled).
No wonder he's afraid to reveal his identity here on Fred's I would be ashamed, too.

I haven't pulled VeRO on him yet about the "El-cheapo Bosio nozzles" bit, because it is like free advertising. If you were just a casual surfer, wouldn't it make you curious to know what the fuss is about? Try typing "Bosio Nozzles" in any search engine

Buy your clutch from DieselGeek or IMPEX. They will be here tomorrow to support their sales. eBay sellers just live for feedback. THey will be super nice, ship fast, then after you leave feedback, to hell with you, they have your money and feedback.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a million Kerma, I have a really good shop here in So. California called Renner Motorsports, they race Scirocco's and 1.8T's. But, they also do the clutch upgrades on the 1.8T's the same way the TDI guys do it. The 1.8T, 2.0 Naturally Aspirated and the TDI all suffer from the dual mass flywheel/clutch combo. I'll make sure to get my parts from DG or Impex. Thanks once again Kerma!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Some thing are commodities. I think a VR6 clutch could be an example. I looked around for a good buy and I found one on eBay. The seller was ClutchExpress, out of York, PA. They treated me well and I'd like to think that one of the factors for the recent successful (I believe) SPEC group buy was my positive feedback of the vendor.

Ummmm, I forgot, what was my point again??? There's no harm in spreading your money around?

For that person with the A3, I think the existing flywheel can be used with a VR6 clutch. Maybe get it refinished or buffed or whatever.

For that clutch disk, it's only the disk, you still need the dual mass flywheel if yours is not okay. I think there might have been one person who has installed it, but I'm a little unclear on that. I don't understand how or why the different friction surfaces on either side would work, but I don't understand a lot.

Can the dual mass flywheel be modified to make it a single mass flywheel? Any sense in doing that?

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I think I will aim for a VR6 SACHS clutch kit and i'll find a G60 flywheel to go with it. It is suppose to hold on around 220-230 lbs/ft...

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
But I own a A3 TDI. Is it changing anything? Can I just put a Clutch kit and everything is done without changing the flywheel?