TDI 1z in deep water

Sidekick swap

TDI
1997 1z
Hi all. Looking to see if anyone has experience with deep water crossings running a TDI. Trying to decide if I need to go with a manual injection pump set up. I would like to stay with the electronics if it’s possible. This will be installed in a Suzuki Sidekick with a snorkel. Thank for any help!

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
No experience here but any diesel should be better in wet environments as there is no high voltage necessary for ignition... just seal up the connections to everything to prevent long-term corrosion and you should be golden.
My biggest worry is the turbo.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
A hot turbo and turbo manifold might not like the cold water.

Might be worth googling what the 4bt guys do for water crossings

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
turbo don't care

my dad killed a stanadyne DB2 pump submerging it while hot and running, no idea how VP pumps compare in durability, they do have the advantage of the distributor rotor being the plunger itself, rather than separate components which might facilitate running a tighter clearance in the distributor section on the DB2

anyways, the low voltage wires on the engine side will be fine, the go pedal will get wonky, and the ECU isn't particularly well sealed for submersion. Cluster (and therefore immobilizer) is right out the window.

if you run a barebones harness with the ECU and pedal in the roof or whatever, with a normal throttle cable running up to the pedal assembly

Or run a mechanical pump if you're fine with a reliable limit at 100 hp or so

Sidekick swap

TDI
1997 1z
I think at this point I’m going manual pump. To much crap to deal with. I spoke to Gile with performance diesel injection and he’s going to build me a pump. 1750 seems high but everyone highly recommends him.