2013 JSW clutch

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
I recently purchased a 2013 JSW TDI 6 speed manual. I a have purchased egr def deflate and tune from rawtek during there sale I also purchased a new 170 turbo from cascade German auto works in Portland or I plane on installing all the above in July 19. My question is a clutch south bend has several single mass flywheel clutch. Which one should I use? Also DKM who was referred to me by rawtek makes a twin disc clutch. Can anybody tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a twin disc clutch.
David

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The disadvantage of any single mass setup is that the transmission synchros will probably only last 10-20k miles. I'd strongly recommend a dual mass setup for any car not strictly used as a track toy.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
The disadvantage of any single mass setup is that the transmission synchros will probably only last 10-20k miles. I'd strongly recommend a dual mass setup for any car not strictly used as a track toy.
Thanks for the answer

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
Talked with local service manager at our locale VW shop he said they have purchase servals used TDI at auction that had single mass flywheel they could not resale them because of transmission noise

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
so i'm confused here. I had a CTSV prior to my '14 JSW. It had a dual mass flywheel and it was complete garbage. Literally, one of the first mods you do to a CTSV is tossing the dual mass in place of a single mass Z06 setup.

why are peiple wanting dual mass with a TDI as opposed to a lighter, faster reving, less clunky dual mass?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
so i'm confused here. I had a CTSV prior to my '14 JSW. It had a dual mass flywheel and it was complete garbage. Literally, one of the first mods you do to a CTSV is tossing the dual mass in place of a single mass Z06 setup.

why are peiple wanting dual mass with a TDI as opposed to a lighter, faster reving, less clunky dual mass?

Because they want their transmission to last more than 10k miles

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Because they want their transmission to last more than 10k miles

how so, though?

i'm from the land of V8's and T56's...and Honda's... this is my first TDI and VW, so its a learning curve.

But i notice a lot of stuff is said "that's final" and never discussed further.

I need more of a justification than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, prob getting one of your tune's soon!

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
let's just say that, a bunch of vendors jumped the gun at selling SMF to the guys with so-called "DMF shudder" (which is actually engine shudder in the engine tune). This ENGINE shudder pounds the daylights out of the transmission at the torque peak with some (stronger) tunes in some individual cars. DMF helps absorb some of the punishment, or soften the blow somewhat, but once you go to SMF that protection/buffer is gone. Bang bang bang until the syncros are gone, hello new transmission.

There's been lots of SMF sold to TDI owner over the years, but those trans have brass syncros which take the abuse better. And the older TDI don't have the same kind of engine shudder that comes with an (improperly done) strong tune at the torque peak, as the CR cars in the "Tier 2 Bin5 clean diesel" version that we have here in the USA. European TDI don't do it, gassers don't do it, 3.0 liter v6 don't do it, only the 2.0 liter "USA clean diesels".

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
so is this like 2nd order vibrations coming back from an imbalance in the engine/driveline?? Or just a function of hte TDI engine itself running rough? These are non-balance shaft engines, correct?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
it is 100% the engine, and 100% fixable in the engine management. (and I don't mean by "reducing torque" either)

You won't find anyone else talking about it though.

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
it is 100% the engine, and 100% fixable in the engine management. (and I don't mean by "reducing torque" either)

so if one were to have it tuned out, could one run a single mass fly wheel??

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
you don't need to upgrade the clutch, unless the clutch actually sllps.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
So when I do need a clutch what do you recommend.thank you
David

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
so if one were to have it tuned out, could one run a single mass fly wheel??
No, that is just the shudder of peak torque on the DMF that can be tuned out. No tuning will save the steel synchros on 1-3 gears in the 02Q gearbox if switching to SMF. Some very early 02Qs (~'09) had brass on the 1-4 output shaft but everything after has 1-3 steel and 4th gets a brass for some reason. The brass synchros could handle the extra vibrations of a SMF setup.

Here's some pics and short video of what happens to synchros with a SMF setup which is the noise you hear at idle. The steel just doesn't last long, 11k miles in my case and some have fared better but it's just not worth it.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cfae1f3b76c7/VID_20180926_172224.mp4

Last edited:

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you I am a believer now. So when I am ready for a clutch it will be a south end DM stage 2