Auto TDI stuck in 3rd gear- limp mode

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
A friend's automatic tdi is stuck in 3rd gear and is in limp mode. 17965 code is thrown. When you turn off and cycle the ignition limp mode disappears and the transmission will shift through the gears perfectly. but when you rev over 3000 rpm's limp mode comes back and tranny stays in 3rd.

Does limp mode for an automatic cause the tranny to stay in 3rd gear?

There are no tranny related codes thrown.

Last edited:

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
There is away of reseting the computer for the tranny, i just can't find the post. i 'think' it's something to do with removing the battery terminals, and supposedly holding them together. I think the idea is to discharge the capacitors and reset the system.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
And if you plug the fault code number into the search function, you'll find it has nothing to do with the transmission.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
but when the ignition is turned off and then the car is restarted limp mode is gone and the tranny shifts fine. but when it revs past 3000 rpm car goes back into limp and stays in 3rd. once I fix the 17965 issue will the tranny function normally again. Basically, what I am asking is...is it a normal function for the tranny to stay in 3rd while in limp mode?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Your engine is in limp mode and doesn't have enough power to make use of 4th gear. 3rd gear is limp mode to get you home or to a repair shop.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
the car will rev well past 3000 rpm in third...so the tranny is likely fine then...obviously since there are no tranny codes. is this just the way auto's work in limp mode? I found it be strange...mind you I have only had 5-speed tdi's.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is how VW has them programmed.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
a complete scan was done...glow plug and abs codes came up but nothing tranny related. when the car is not in limp the tranny shifts fine through all gears.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
thanks for the link...I have used it in the past...very helpful.

Ya, when it stays out of limp is goes through all the gears fine, including fourth.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
ya, thanks. I know about them already. Had another friend deal with them. Thing is...no tranny codes. I am thinking (as MOGolf mentioned) it is just the way the automatics are...limp mode=default to 3rd gear.

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Trendline TDI 6spd manual Black
Last edited:

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
Definitely, CoolAirVw knows his stuff. I found his threads as my buddy and I went into panic mode when the transmission starting doing that.

So, when your auto tdi went into limp mode the transmission would stay in third gear as well?

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I've got a stick, but had limp mode on my old turbo. After i'd done an intake cleaning it was better, but would still go if i hammered it. In my case, the turbo it self was going.

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually mine, the tc would unlock.

It would still go through gears, sometimes i could stop and reset it.

Other times it might take a 1/2 hour of so of driving, then it would just engage.

I could easily put it in limp mode at will.

P.s the engine would also be in limp mode in my case

Last edited:

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
When I was having turbo limp mode problems, there was never any transmission problem. It would shift through the gears fine, just had no power. Either with the old failing AT or the new one, I've never experienced the stuck in 3rd gear situation.

I don't know what codes it was throwing either, had no MIL and the SGII reported nothing found.

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
Oops yes you can have limp mode engine wise and not have the tranny go to limp mode.

I think its a matter of timing, as in the engine goes into limp mode while the tranny is downshifting and unlocking/locking the tc. Ultimatly leaving the tc unlocked to protect the engine.

My half arsed work around was to manually intervene, simply downshifting letting it rev up before passing.

No need to baby it either, probably the worse thing too do.

Your buddy's case sounds different to what i experienced.

Last edited:

Gregataustin

TDI
2000/2001 VW Jettas TDI
I have the 01M, and have spent plenty of time in limp mode, never affected transmission. Long story short, I did unplug the transmission control relay thingy near the glowplug one, and that made my transmission angry, it got stuck in gears and didden't downshift well at all.

Last edited:

VDUB TECH

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI , Audi TT TDI Q , 2013 Touareg TDI , 2006 Jetta TDI
any codes in engine electronics?A flaky 109 relay will give you tranny limp mode on an automagic.Usually youll get a accelerator pedal position fault.