Can the red dye be washed out?

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
I've heard that it's now state law in Maryland that all kerosene for off road use must have the red dye in it when it's sold. Here's the question: can the red dye be washed away in the same way I wash the biodiesel by squirting water into it through a mister nozzle?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
to be dishonest of course...

as my Dad used to tell me, "today you're [insert unethical act here] and tomorrow you're selling crack on the streets."

why not just put more dye into it so it is totally black?

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
Biodiesel needs to be diluted with kerosene in the winter time. In case I can't find any kerosene without the red dye, I will want to take it out just to be safe. Any suggestions?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
JamesBa said:
Biodiesel needs to be diluted with kerosene in the winter time. In case I can't find any kerosene without the red dye, I will want to take it out just to be safe. Any suggestions?
Actually. This does sound semi-legit. Although why not cut it with D2?

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
D2 doesn't work nearly as well as kerosene, especially with the introduction of low sulfur diesel. I need to lower the gel point in order to drive when it's only about 10 degrees F outside.

cfunderburg

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
To answer your question: No, you cannot "wash" out the red dye. Its specifically designed to show even when diluted something ridiculous like 10,000 times.

You don't need to add very much kerosene to B100 to significantly lower the gel point. Do some freezer tests at your house to see how low you can get it at various blends. 20% Kerosene is a good blend.

Also, even when you make your own biodiesel for on-road use, you should be paying road tax on it. Just an FYI.

himark

Actually YES the dye can be removed but the process is similar to the ole moonshiners machines and it is time overwhelming so getting it out is NOT worth the time spent.

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
actually the dye is very easy to remove i started a thread telling how a few months, so here it is again. I accidently left some dyed diesel out in the sun in a transparent container (i was starting a burn pile in the spring, on the farm of course) then looked at the container two days later and the diesel was yellow. I have since repeated this process and it repeated the results. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CONDONE OR ENDORSE ANYONE TO DO THIS IN ORDER TO AVOID TAXES, however for lowering the gelling point, i think this should be ok. The power of the sun is amazing. also the red dye isn;t colorfast.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
James, maybe they changed this recently, but I have never run across dyed kerosene in this area. I usually get my kero at XtraFuels in Edgewater or Dash In. Both of them have the kerosene set up with very short hoses so you cannot reach your car's fuel tank. There are signs that say ULS Kerosene and that it is not for on-road use... but it is as clear as water. Like I said, maybe they have changed this since last winter.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Just another note... in the 17 years that I have been driving diesel cars, I have never once had the fuel tank checked for untaxed fuel. I don't think they do that around here unless someone turns you in.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
McBrew said:
Just another note... in the 17 years that I have been driving diesel cars, I have never once had the fuel tank checked for untaxed fuel. I don't think they do that around here unless someone turns you in.
We have a guy at the office who has been stopped on 3 different occasions. Somewhere out west of DC on the way from Winchester to Fairfax...

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
McBrew said:
... maybe they have changed this since last winter.
I just heard that it's now state law that it must have dye in it. I could be wrong, but just want to be prepared.

kram7677

TDI
02 vw golf tdi, 2012 JETTA GASSER
5 gallon containers

youcan purchase 5 gallon containers of very clear kero at Lowes or home depot, not the cheapest stuff but good for cutting

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
cfunderburg said:
To answer your question: No, you cannot "wash" out the red dye. Its specifically designed to show even when diluted something ridiculous like 10,000 times.

You don't need to add very much kerosene to B100 to significantly lower the gel point. Do some freezer tests at your house to see how low you can get it at various blends. 20% Kerosene is a good blend.

Also, even when you make your own biodiesel for on-road use, you should be paying road tax on it. Just an FYI.
hehe, just an FYI from your neighborhood spiderman! heehee I follow every law ever that applies to me.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Actually - it would be best to use D2 (onroad) with something like PowerService - lowers the gell point quite significantly.

And if you're THAT concerned about gelling using bio - maybe you should consider using more D2 when it gets colder. You don't necessarily need to use 100% D2, but even cutting it to 50/50 bio / petro should keep you going.

oldiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for one
i dont know how the sun works where you live, but here in Florida it does not remove red dye from diesel fuel.After reading your previous post a while back i put a 2ltr clear plastic bottle about 1/2 full of red D2 out in the yard and left it there for about 3 weeks,if anything it may have become a little darker.Was not a waste though as i use it in my boat wher it is perfectly legal. My$.02 Don

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Not sure what your point is. If you are running homemade BD and not paying taxes on it, does it really matter if you get dip tested red? You are caught "red handed" running untaxed BD (of any amount) already.

Unless you get a junior officer which doesn't know the color diesel should be anyway.

tdijud

TDI
99 Beetle
bayshore: The legitimate tax paid b100 I buy here in PA is almost totally clear w/ just a touch of yellow, not the more blueish color of dino diesel. (I do carry a reciept just in case. I already got pulled over once when I lived in NY for my "powered by Biodiesel" sticker, funny part was the state trooper wanted to find a source for untaxed bio to save $) :D

On a side note, anyone know roughly the gell point of B80 K20? I would like to run bio all winter but don't want to have to go to a B30 D2 70 mix like last winter.

scottab

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Seriously, let's get a vote on when anyone has actually had the diesel checked for dye.....

bcggross

TDI
97 Jetta TDI
Red Diesel

If you are driving with commercial plates and are stopped at a truck stop you tank will get checked. My coworker had his truck tank checked. So yes it unlikely your private car will be checked.

I would not use fuel thats left in a plastic bottle long enough for it to go yellow in my car.

Last edited:

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
tdijud said:
bayshore: The legitimate tax paid b100 I buy here in PA is almost totally clear w/ just a touch of yellow, not the more blueish color of dino diesel. (I do carry a reciept just in case. I already got pulled over once when I lived in NY for my "powered by Biodiesel" sticker, funny part was the state trooper wanted to find a source for untaxed bio to save $) :D

On a side note, anyone know roughly the gell point of B80 K20? I would like to run bio all winter but don't want to have to go to a B30 D2 70 mix like last winter.
Right. Either way, you will be answering questions. And without reciepts to show where the BD came from, you will be answering questions. For the original poster, if it is not the blueish color of dino, you made need to come up with an excuse and a location to purchase your BD100 pretty quick to not raise an eyebrow.:D

You may get a "It's not blue, it's not red, where did you get it?" from the officer. Just be prepared.

Personally, I have a FPHE on the fuel line to help run lower temps and mix with D2/D1 50/50. For the couple of tanks you need during the cold temps (if you park inside at night you can stretch a little more), why gamble on the K1? Just mix at the station and be done with it.