Rotors, what brands do you guys like?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I need to replace my front rotors on my MK7 and I became curious, what is the difference between brands of rotors? I'm looking for the normal, non-slotted or drilled rotors. I see a multitude of different brands that I can buy from. There's the common stuff like Wagner, Raybestos, and Centric on most autoparts sites, then if I go VW specific, there's Fremax, Zimmerman, Brembo, TRW, etc.

What's the difference? Aren't they all made of the same material anyways? I know some have an extra coating on to prevent rust on the outer lip and such, but at the end of the day I just need it to do it's job and stop the car... the price difference is almost negligible between the cheapest (fremax or raybestos) versus brembo or zimmerman (about 30 bucks total for a pair). I have put wagners and raybestos on my hondas and they did the job just fine

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I don't have a lot of experience here, but I had good experience with Zimmerman rotors on my MK6 GTI. Stopped well, were resistant to rust.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The cheaper ones are not as good. They are made thinner. Not the total thickness, as that is the spec that they have to meet, but the vent holes are wider, meaning the thickness of the outer mettal is thinner. Thinner metal will heat up faster and can warp easier. Stick with a brand name and you will be fine. I have always used Zimmermann because of the coating and never had an issue.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The cheaper ones are not as good. They are made thinner. Not the total thickness, as that is the spec that they have to meet, but the vent holes are wider, meaning the thickness of the outer mettal is thinner. Thinner metal will heat up faster and can warp easier. Stick with a brand name and you will be fine. I have always used Zimmermann because of the coating and never had an issue.

I actually didn't know this, thanks Wingnut.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've been using Fremax with no issues in the last ~60k miles now.
I bought one axle set from FixMyVW, and another from ID Parts, if I remember correctly.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Fremax is also a very good rotor, just not as good of a coating (painted black). They are OEM for some applications (Mitsubishi/Renault/Suzuki). If I was after a lesser expensive rotor, they would be my first choice.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Fremax is also a very good rotor, just not as good of a coating (painted black). They are OEM for some applications (Mitsubishi/Renault/Suzuki). If I was after a lesser expensive rotor, they would be my first choice.
I was originally thinking Fremax. I personally don't care much about the coating to spend the extra 30-40 bucks.