2006 Jetta TDI BRM Wont Start

Wolfdie

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg, 2002 Golf 2.0 GLS, 2006 Jetta TDI DSR, 2016 Jetta 1.8t TSI Sport
Ok here is my problem. I just did a motor swap cause the other motor was seized.
Now the car wont even start everything else has power. I tested all the wires that I could. Cleaned grounds ect. After lots of failed tries I narrowed it down to the J519 Vehicle Electrical System control module not sending power to J682 433 Relay. I tested the relay its self put 12v to it and it worked. I also Plugged the relay back in with the cap off and pushed the contacts together and it started cranking the starter. I also tested the wire coming from the J527 Steering column electronics control module and it lit up my test light. This issue has me pulling my hair out especially when I have a dead line to have it into the shop for rust and corrosion in a few days :( . Any help on this would be very much appreciated and I would be very grateful :)

Wolfdie

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg, 2002 Golf 2.0 GLS, 2006 Jetta TDI DSR, 2016 Jetta 1.8t TSI Sport
No click or any noise from starter. Tested starter too and it's good

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The big ground from the battery to the top of the bell housing, you got that reconnected right?

Wolfdie

TDI
The big ground from the battery to the top of the bell housing, you got that reconnected right?
Yep. All connected. One thing I did just think of is unbolt the acorn nut that is right below the fuse box that has 2 yellowish brown wires going to it. It was pretty rusty and might need cleaned

Wolfdie

TDI
Replaced the ignition switch and cleaned all grounds.. still nothing

Wolfdie

TDI
Does the immo cause no crank or just no start?
I'm assuming that's short for immobilizer? Honestly I'm not sure. I dont have a message on the info center about car being immobilized. But there is a yellow steering wheel light that is on whenever I have the key in the on position.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
A VCDS would be best to help with this issue. You can see exactly what is being commanded. Do you have one?

Wolfdie

TDI
A VCDS would be best to help with this issue. You can see exactly what is being commanded. Do you have one?
No. All I have is a regular OBD II reader

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Assuming that the car started before the engine swap, but what signals the J519 to send power to the J682 relay? Since you know everything downstream of the J682 is good, you don't need to worry about that. How did you test the J682? Is it possible to put power to the signal side with the cover off, maybe?

Wolfdie

TDI
Assuming that the car started before the engine swap, but what signals the J519 to send power to the J682 relay? Since you know everything downstream of the J682 is good, you don't need to worry about that. How did you test the J682? Is it possible to put power to the signal side with the cover off, maybe?
I took the cover off it and pushed the contacts together as soon as I did that it started cranking. Might not have been the smartest thing but it worked to test it lol. I did find a wire that goes live when I turn the key to the start position and am really tempted to make a jumper wire from it to the J682 for a temporary solution till I can get it to someone to scan it :confused:

topbrass

TDI
2006 Jetta
hello everyone. my 06 Jetta tdi decided to come home in a tow truck about a week ago,I was on a highway 100km/h everything seem normal and out of god knows where the engine just die.
no warnings of any kind, so I don't know where to start, I'll appreciate some suggestions.
Thanks to all in advance

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
hello everyone. my 06 Jetta tdi decided to come home in a tow truck about a week ago,I was on a highway 100km/h everything seem normal and out of god knows where the engine just die.
no warnings of any kind, so I don't know where to start, I'll appreciate some suggestions.
Thanks to all in advance
I would probably start with checking the timing belt. You did not supply any information about what happened when it died or what it does when you try to start it.

You will probably get more help if you start your own thread for this problem.

topbrass

TDI
2006 Jetta
here is some info about the car, it has 315,000kilometers when the key is turn on it cranks but won't start, the glow plugs ligtht doesn't come on and most lights in the dash panel are on, also the gear position light are flickering.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your timing belt pull the covers and look for missing teeth. If you have to rotate the engine , do so by hand using the crank bolt not the cam.

If you have the tools set the engine to TDC and see if it’s still in time.

Also you might want to start your own thread, you’ll probably get more help that way.

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
Ok that sounds like it is an electrical problem. I would check the fuses and relays. I think there is a 460 relay under the dash that can cause the car to die when it fails. Also check the electrical connections on the front of the underhood fuse box since they can corrode causing weak electrical connections.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Thanks to all in advance
You have posted to a fresh thread so when someone replies, it gets confusing about which problem they are replying to. This is why it's best to do some searching, gather your results on any testing that you did in regards to information you found from your search, then post a new thread with as much information as you can.